Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jun 25, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #6,421 of 7,681
Well I must say that this is the most difficult headphone to get a "normal" sound from. I heard that these headphones are bassy, but that's a serious under statement. I haven't tried a cable upgrade so I don't know what affect they have.

Regarding the 2 sets of stock pads, neither of the pads that came with my 99 Noir's sounded very enjoyable (well maybe the first 10 minutes or so until my ears and head started to protest). However the Yaxi pads have transformed these headphones to a much more enjoyable (and less painful) level.

Frankly I can't understand why Meze continues to use the stock ear pads when they essentially destroy the sound of this headphone. At the very least a pair of Yaxi pads should be included with each pair of Meze 99 Noir's.

Hello Meze, I hope you're listening AND audition the Yaxi pads yourselves.

I didn't realize just how much difference pads can make until researching all the various pad options for zmf cans.

I definitely notice a significant difference on the 99s with Gen 2 vs Gen 3 (new smaller pads) and I totally hear what you are saying with the large pads and bass boominess - which I don't like either...

However, I found with eq bringing down the bass and lifting the treble with the big pads that it took the boominess out and tightened things up making them very enjoyable - at least to me :) - and I prefer the 99s over the 6xx.

I use a slight variation of the eq that George Debrescu posted earlier in this forum - and liked the fact that the 99s respond well to eq.

But without the eq adjustment and the large pads, I pry would not have kept them.

Though I do really, really like them the way I have them set up now.

YMMV and all that :)

I haven't tried the yaxi pads, btw

OH, I also do like them better from a balanced source...

Jun 25, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #6,422 of 7,681
I didn't realize just how much difference pads can make until researching all the various pad options for zmf cans.

I definitely notice a significant difference on the 99s with Gen 2 vs Gen 3 (new smaller pads) and I totally hear what you are saying with the large pads and bass boominess - which I don't like either...

However, I found with eq bringing down the bass and lifting the treble with the big pads that it took the boominess out and tightened things up making them very enjoyable - at least to me :) - and I prefer the 99s over the 6xx.

I use a slight variation of the eq that George Debrescu posted earlier in this forum - and liked the fact that the 99s respond well to eq.

But without the eq adjustment and the large pads, I pry would not have kept them.

Though I do really, really like them the way I have them set up now.

YMMV and all that :)

I haven't tried the yaxi pads, btw

OH, I also do like them better from a balanced source...
I'm glad you like how your 99's sound with EQ adjustment.

Jun 25, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #6,423 of 7,681
I'm glad you like how your 99's sound with EQ adjustment.

I know we all hear things differently and can be more or less sensitive to different parts of the frequency range.

I based my eq on that by George Dobrescu and his is a little more aggressive than mine in the treble especially, though I take more down at 250...

For me the effect is to eliminate the bass boominess and what I hear as bleedover into the lower mids... It brings the vocals a little forward and I hear a clearer, more euphonic sound with greater soundstage depth and with greater clarity in the mids, which I actually find smoother than the hd6xx.

I know the effect is to eliminate some of the V-shaped tuning that many really like, but this is more pleasing to me while still being fun.

If it helps anyone else, these are the settings I ended up using...

Screenshot_20200625-202258.png

Jun 26, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #6,424 of 7,681
I started A/Bing a new pair with zero hours on them vs my current pair with about 150 hours. I have the yaxi stpads2 in the standard orientation (alcantara oriented posteriorly) on both.

Both running single ended from Mscaler/TT2 on filter 1, no crossfeed.

Early impression and most noticeable to my ears is that the lower mids are more present, fleshing out and deepening female vocals a small amount. I don't hear a difference in stage dimensions or bass control. I have only tested this out with Little dragon - Another lover, a track that has clearly delineated bass, vocals, and treble layers. Woop woop for lovers of that song.

I wasn't sure headphone burn-in was a real phenomenon but now I've heard it with my own ears.

To take into account driver variability, I think I should burn in the new pair to 150 hours and compare to see if the difference in the mids disappears.

Or should I keep burning in the old pair to 300 hours to see if new differences are heard?

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20200622_221331.jpg
    IMG_20200622_221331.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Jun 26, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #6,425 of 7,681
Hi guys, I've recently purchased Meze 99 Noir from Drop and need your advice.
I'm glad the earpads discussion is back (and that the Yaxi pads are mentioned).

Here's my issue. I've listened to some comments on Drop and ordered Brainwavz Angled Oval Sheepskin Earpads at the same time as the headphones. YAXI stPad2 earpads were my second choice at that time. That was over a month ago. But Brainwavz still haven't shipped the earpads due to some issues with Hong Kong post.

Anyway, unfortunately that long wait gave me some time to find some very controversial opinions about Brainwavz Angled pads (and BW earpads overal), YAXIs and their effect on the headphones sound.

Some people say that Brainwavz Angled add comfort and help with Extra Bass problem,
others, on the contrary, say that Meze 99 become boomy and are loosing the bass control with such large pads as Angled Sheepskins.

Some people (mostly on Head-Fi) say that YAXI stPad2 impact on the sound signature is insignificant. Dramlin's posts are often quoted in this regard.
And then there are the opposite opinions like this post on Reddit:
Meze 99 Classics with YAXI stPad2 - Sound: Overall there is less warmth to vocals and low - mid range instruments like cello. Bass is trimmed to the point of neutrality to my ears. Sound stage is improved as well. Treble is more bright for sure but it isn't as fatiguing compared to stock pads. Maybe because the upper mid range and treble ringing are gone. Maybe it is because of more ear room with Yaxi. The Pads make Meze 99 sound like a completely different headphone. If you like the stock sound of Meze 99 then Yaxi isn't recommended.

And now I'm lost. Do I wait for Brainwavz Angled Sheepskin? Do I cancel and go for YAXI stPad2?

I would appreciate greatly some new or updated opinions of people who owned or listened to both these earpads with Meze.
Which ear-pads would you call a preferred choice of the longtime Meze 99 lover? :darthsmile:
Which option deals with bass while leaving the stock sound signature intact?

Or do I forget them both and wait for some new pads from Dekoni? The video from Meze earlier mentions (on minute 11):
Meze Team on June 19 said:
Actually Dekoni has worked with us and they will release another option for the 99 Classics and 99 Neo. I'm not sure exactly when but the first prototypes I saw in New York at the beginning of this year so most likely the will be out in the matter of months. And maybe we'll also release something but I do't want to make any promises.

Dekoni even has Meze 99 page ready with some generic text. But no photo or any info on the pads.
FIND YOUR PADS offers choices for 99 Classic, Neo and even Noir. But no results yet.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #6,426 of 7,681
I may be biased as I just threw in an order for Yaxi's but I say try whats available and if you don't care for em switch....thats the supposed beauty of pad rolling right (seriously I've only replaced old Beyerdynamics). On top of that we all have different ears and crap so whos to say what you'll like more.......I ordered Yaxis cause a) they have em and b) supposedly they ship fast c) hadn't read anything else. If they suck (subjectively) for me then back to the smaller stock.......I feel like sometimes it's easy here with all the info to get caught up in the detail......that plus the OCD-ish nitpicking reviewers in this space do make it like the peanut butter aisle......they are all nut butters for **** sake. Figure out what you like and your preference by trying the 2.50 Jif and the 7 dollar Adams (apologies non Americans) -.> beer aisle there are plenty of choices some tasty others are Nati Ice or Mahou classic (subjectively crap......to my taste)

Don't gotta do all the buying at once and reselling what you don't like makes it more fiscally light. 3 cents and a hay penny

Jun 27, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #6,427 of 7,681
For anyone who has the balanced cable from Meze, how much difference does it make compared to the stock SE cable?
I have read the review, it looks like it improved it quite a bit, but I wanna hear more opinion about this.
It will be paired with the Fiio X7 II or the Hiby R6.

I find that the $50 silver plated balanced cables are nicer in terms of buld, feel and length. The sound it very slightly more detailed. Definitely worth changing the pads - they make the biggest difference. I use Brainwavz

Jun 27, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #6,428 of 7,681
Wow, good to hear. I think that might be my next upgrade I take to my 99's.

I've had a chance to spend some time listening to my new 2.5mm balanced silver cable from Meze and it has really changed these headphones into more of an impressive listening experience. I think I can voice what others have said about it by improving all areas of the overall sound and make them sound like more expensive headphones than they really are. The clarity and detail has opened up so I'm now hearing small details I haven't heard before in some tracks without the treble having too much bite or being too sharp. The separation has also increased where I can focus on individual instruments or beats. The bass is a lot tighter and controlled where I would expect it to be. It doesn't bleed into the mids or linger as it does with the original cable. I don't notice any microphonics from this cable either, I know others had bought other brands and unfortunately have had that experience. These cables are pretty well built, they feel a little delicate but also might be because they're new and I'm being extra careful with them. They're not stiff or cheap feeling. The cable is pretty manageable and is easy to wrap up when storing in the case.

As I'm listening to these I can't imagine how these can really get any better. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking to improve the sound quality of their 99s. I guess I'm curious how the Yaxi stPad2's will increase what others have voiced on this thread and push these even further. Happy listening everyone.

This is very good, excited to know the upgraded cable has make the 99Classic a better headphone for you. By the way, you are using a DAP to pair with your 99Classic? Mind to tell us more about that?

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Jun 27, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #6,429 of 7,681
This is very good, excited to know the upgraded cable has make the 99Classic a better headphone for you. By the way, you are using a DAP to pair with your 99Classic? Mind to tell us more about that?
No DAP yet. I have to get out my DX80 which is still a very capable DAP but I'm waiting on a new battery. For listening, I'm mainly using TIDAL with an ifi Nano BL through balanced 3.5mm adapter. I have both balanced and unbalanced adapters to see if there's an improvement over SQ and to my surprise it does actually improve overall clarity, detail, and soundstage which I was pleasantly surprised since the 3.5mm balanced is harder to find.

In addition, I've also been pairing the headphones with the Periodic Nickel amp which is a phenomenal amp for its size. It's amazing how something so small can punch way above its weight class.

My next upgrade will be a true desktop amp/dac since I'm now mainly working from home but I'm really happy now with the sound of the 99's that I'll have time to properly figure out what will be a great pairing for such a musically sounding headphone. I'm definitely open to hearing reco's from the group.

Jun 27, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #6,430 of 7,681
I started A/Bing a new pair with zero hours on them vs my current pair with about 150 hours. I have the yaxi stpads2 in the standard orientation (alcantara oriented posteriorly) on both.

Both running single ended from Mscaler/TT2 on filter 1, no crossfeed.

Early impression and most noticeable to my ears is that the lower mids are more present, fleshing out and deepening female vocals a small amount. I don't hear a difference in stage dimensions or bass control. I have only tested this out with Little dragon - Another lover, a track that has clearly delineated bass, vocals, and treble layers. Woop woop for lovers of that song.

I wasn't sure headphone burn-in was a real phenomenon but now I've heard it with my own ears.

To take into account driver variability, I think I should burn in the new pair to 150 hours and compare to see if the difference in the mids disappears.

Or should I keep burning in the old pair to 300 hours to see if new differences are heard?

Thoughts?

That's interesting.

I don't think the different from 150 hours to 300 hours will be significant, so for comparison sake, burn in the new pair to 150 hours and compare again seems more meaningful. In fact, you can compare when the new pair reach 50 hours count, if the different is minimal by that time, that means the first 50 hours is all it count for the burn in game.

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Jun 27, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #6,431 of 7,681
No DAP yet. I have to get out my DX80 which is still a very capable DAP but I'm waiting on a new battery. For listening, I'm mainly using TIDAL with an ifi Nano BL through balanced 3.5mm adapter. I have both balanced and unbalanced adapters to see if there's an improvement over SQ and to my surprise it does actually improve overall clarity, detail, and soundstage which I was pleasantly surprised since the 3.5mm balanced is harder to find.

In addition, I've also been pairing the headphones with the Periodic Nickel amp which is a phenomenal amp for its size. It's amazing how something so small can punch way above its weight class.

My next upgrade will be a true desktop amp/dac since I'm now mainly working from home but I'm really happy now with the sound of the 99's that I'll have time to properly figure out what will be a great pairing for such a musically sounding headphone. I'm definitely open to hearing reco's from the group.

Interesting, a large proportion of 2.5mm balanced silver cable are used with DAPs, didn't expect you are using Nano BL through 3.5mm adapter. In that case, you are driving the 99Classic with single-ended but using the silver upgrade cable. If you were to drive the 99Classic in balanced, you should hear improved separation, lets wait till you have the DX80 battery but you probably won't be able to hear Tidal on that.

Jun 27, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #6,432 of 7,681
I agree - seperation is improved with the balanced cable. For me, I found the IFI a little too harsh and analytical for the Meze 99c. I tried 7 DACs in total and settled on 2; Chord Mojo - the most musical and fun sound (great for rock and pop) and the Sony PHA-2A for a perfect combination for Jazz & vocals.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #6,433 of 7,681
Interesting, a large proportion of 2.5mm balanced silver cable are used with DAPs, didn't expect you are using Nano BL through 3.5mm adapter. In that case, you are driving the 99Classic with single-ended but using the silver upgrade cable. If you were to drive the 99Classic in balanced, you should hear improved separation, lets wait till you have the DX80 battery but you probably won't be able to hear Tidal on that.
Yeah, I thought I might be running them through SE but I talked to a rep from IFI and the nano BL's port is both SE and balanced they said, so if you have a balanced 3.5mm It'll work as balanced and improve the sound quality over SE. I actually have 2 adapters for 3.5mm, one balanced, and one SE to see if this was actually true and I personally can hear an improvement with the balanced over the SE. Unless my mind is playing tricks on me, I might have to poke them again about that. Even if it's just SE I still have to say the sound improvement is incredible over the original cables and worth the extra $ for me personally.

Initially I was going to get the 4.4mm silver balanced but when I ordered it from Amazon I got a message saying they were out all so I opted for the 2.5mm. 2-Day shipping is hard to beat and I didn't really want to wait to try out the cables.

Jun 27, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #6,434 of 7,681
I agree - seperation is improved with the balanced cable. For me, I found the IFI a little too harsh and analytical for the Meze 99c. I tried 7 DACs in total and settled on 2; Chord Mojo - the most musical and fun sound (great for rock and pop) and the Sony PHA-2A for a perfect combination for Jazz & vocals.

Man, I've been on the fence with the Mojo. I've listened to it a while back before I got the Nano and thought it was too analytical but I was also listening to the DT 1990's and they're pretty analytical themselves so that might not have helped.

I've seen them used on here floating around the 300 range. Might have to take the dive. Was there any other DAC/amp's that came close to the Mojo you would recommend as an alt?

Jun 27, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #6,435 of 7,681
I tried them with Beyerdynamic T5v2 and it was just awful, so bright and analytical with hardly any bass at all. But with the Meze it is less analytical and slightly warm - not as warm as the Sony DAC, but more powerful and better soundstage, not to mention far more portable. I bought mine new rom Peter Tyson (UK) for £279 - with the leather case thrown in! They soon ran out when I mentioned the price on a couple of FB forums :wink: The Brainwavz earpads make such a big difference that I tried the original pads a couple of weeks later - just to see if it was psychological, and they sounded awful, I mean really awful - so dark and boomy, like how could a simple £20 purchase make so much difference?? And they are in a lovely chocolate brown colour that look fantasic, compared to the bland black orginals. Worth a try for £20, you can always send them back if you don't like them, but I bought two pairs in the end, just in case they stop making them, because I intend to keep my 99s for a very long time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back