Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jun 21, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #6,406 of 7,703
Can anyone comment as to how the Yaxi pads compare to the originals, in terms of sound? There has to be at least some minor differences, yeah?

Here's my comparison from a few thousand posts back (this thread is busy...):

Comparing the Yaxi pads to the stock (3rd version) pads, the Yaxi pads:
  • Push the sound stage out a bit, but nowhere near the effect of BW velours or typical larger pads. The change is subtle enough that it just sounds like the sound stage is slightly larger. This isn’t offensive, and if anything it actually provides for better instrument separation
  • Reduce lingering bass. Bass quantity remains the same to my ears, but the lingering bass issue is greatly reduced (but not eliminated). I think this is probably due to the alcantara section of the pads allowing for the bass to escape a little.
  • Push the treble up a bit. This again is similar to how velours sound, but to a much smaller degree. This isn’t a desired change for me, but the change is subtle enough to not be a big deal.
  • Have an airier overall sound, a minor effect. The headphones sound more “Open”, which is good in my opinion. This also seems to reduce the feeling of sound pressure which is another positive change for me.
  • Comfort is about the same. My ears touch the drivers for both pads, but a little more so for the Yaxi’s.
Overall the benefits of the Yaxi’s outweigh any small negatives for me, and any negatives are fixed by doing an easy change in my next post.

Jun 21, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #6,407 of 7,703
Which version of the originals? Smaller or larger? Difference is massive.

Regarding the pure silver I can't help, I only have the upgrade balanced.
There's only one original OG. The larger pads came after. The small pads offered now are newly designed, though closer in size to the originals, they are slightly larger. So for comparison sake, let's compare the the Yaki to the "new" small pad version.

Jun 21, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #6,409 of 7,703
There's only one original OG. The larger pads came after. The small pads offered now are newly designed, though closer in size to the originals, they are slightly larger. So for comparison sake, let's compare the the Yaki to the "new" small pad version.

OK, I only have 3rd gen pads. I remember reading that Yaxi are better than whatever gen.

Jun 21, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #6,410 of 7,703
Thanks for digging that up. So the Yaxi pads minimize the bass decay? Not sure I'd like that. Do the Yaki pads increase or decrease any layering in the bass?

No more bass decay, no more layering bass.
Really, I couldn't ask more for this price tag with these two upgrades (yaxi earpads and balanced cable) . I am thinking (hard) about the Empyrean but it's for next year :wink:.

Jun 21, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #6,411 of 7,703
No more bass decay, no more layering bass.
Really, I couldn't ask more for this price tag with these two upgrades (yaxi earpads and balanced cable) . I am thinking (hard) about the Empyrean but it's for next year :wink:.
Cool. I'll probably grab a pair of the Yaki. I've never been a fan of circular pads, especially when they are as small as the original ones.

Jun 21, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #6,412 of 7,703
Can anyone comment as to how the Yaxi pads compare to the originals, in terms of sound? There has to be at least some minor differences, yeah?
I'd also like to ask about the Meze pure silver balanced cable. I'm planning to purchase, but I would like to know if it's soft and manageable, or stiff and unruly. Maybe somewhere in between?
I ordered the silver balanced Meze cables which I should be getting tomorrow. I'll post back here how the cables feel and what kind of sound improvement they have over the original stock cables.

Jun 22, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #6,414 of 7,703
BUT in my opinion the decisive step was when i got the Yaxi stpad 2 (thanks Dramlin :beerchug:). It changed everything to me. Bass are at a good level, more precise, I even push the Truebass button on my DAC sometimes...Mids are superb. Everything is defined and airy.They sound more "open". And I also find the pads more comfortable than the stock pad.

Hey VictorKL I too am new to the forum. I'm in Madrid - Where were you able to aquire the Yaxi pads- Japan or EU based vendor? Thanks in advance

Jun 23, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #6,416 of 7,703
Just got them and only have been able to listen to them for 20min. From my initial impression, they do a really good job increasing the clarity, tightening up the bass, and open the sound stage. In terms of build quality, they're definitely not hard and stiff but also not overly soft. They are pretty manageable and flexible. I would say they're really well made and I'm happy with the purchase. I can give more details to the sound signature once I have a longer listening period.

Jun 23, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #6,417 of 7,703
I bought the smaller meze pads as the original (big) ones were too bassy (and little sloppy bass) the smaller ones reduce the bass somewhat but I have also found that the bass is very dependant (for me) on the source and obviously the way the music is mastered. It seems best from either the mojo or nano idsd black but too boomy from my irdac2 or musical fidelity x-cans 3 (modded) and the mojo/nano are better controlled than my daps on their own (fiio x7/am2 and ibasso dx120).

Jun 25, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #6,418 of 7,703
I've been enjoying the 99 Classics for a year now, but I wanted to change the pads (2nd gen stock pads). After having read a lot about the Yaxi stPad2 in this thread, it sounded like a good option for me. Ordered them on Yaxi's site and they arrived yesterday, two days after ordering (2 days! From Japan to Switzerland.)
I can confirm what others have written: The bass is more controlled and instrumental separation has improved, the latter being what I wanted the most. The only downside is that comfort wise, I actually prefer the stock pads. But that is a minor issue, more clarity makes up for this. Overall, I'm very happy with the change in sound and wanted to thank those that recommended the Yaxi pads!
Together with my A&K SR25 and the new pads, I will continue to enjoy my music through my 99C's for a long time. :)

Jun 25, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #6,419 of 7,703
I've been enjoying the 99 Classics for a year now, but I wanted to change the pads (2nd gen stock pads). After having read a lot about the Yaxi stPad2 in this thread, it sounded like a good option for me. Ordered them on Yaxi's site and they arrived yesterday, two days after ordering (2 days! From Japan to Switzerland.)
I can confirm what others have written: The bass is more controlled and instrumental separation has improved, the latter being what I wanted the most. The only downside is that comfort wise, I actually prefer the stock pads. But that is a minor issue, more clarity makes up for this. Overall, I'm very happy with the change in sound and wanted to thank those that recommended the Yaxi pads!
Together with my A&K SR25 and the new pads, I will continue to enjoy my music through my 99C's for a long time. :)
Wow, good to hear. I think that might be my next upgrade I take to my 99's.

I've had a chance to spend some time listening to my new 2.5mm balanced silver cable from Meze and it has really changed these headphones into more of an impressive listening experience. I think I can voice what others have said about it by improving all areas of the overall sound and make them sound like more expensive headphones than they really are. The clarity and detail has opened up so I'm now hearing small details I haven't heard before in some tracks without the treble having too much bite or being too sharp. The separation has also increased where I can focus on individual instruments or beats. The bass is a lot tighter and controlled where I would expect it to be. It doesn't bleed into the mids or linger as it does with the original cable. I don't notice any microphonics from this cable either, I know others had bought other brands and unfortunately have had that experience. These cables are pretty well built, they feel a little delicate but also might be because they're new and I'm being extra careful with them. They're not stiff or cheap feeling. The cable is pretty manageable and is easy to wrap up when storing in the case.

As I'm listening to these I can't imagine how these can really get any better. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking to improve the sound quality of their 99s. I guess I'm curious how the Yaxi stPad2's will increase what others have voiced on this thread and push these even further. Happy listening everyone.

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #6,420 of 7,703
Wow, good to hear. I think that might be my next upgrade I take to my 99's.

I've had a chance to spend some time listening to my new 2.5mm balanced silver cable from Meze and it has really changed these headphones into more of an impressive listening experience. I think I can voice what others have said about it by improving all areas of the overall sound and make them sound like more expensive headphones than they really are. The clarity and detail has opened up so I'm now hearing small details I haven't heard before in some tracks without the treble having too much bite or being too sharp. The separation has also increased where I can focus on individual instruments or beats. The bass is a lot tighter and controlled where I would expect it to be. It doesn't bleed into the mids or linger as it does with the original cable. I don't notice any microphonics from this cable either, I know others had bought other brands and unfortunately have had that experience. These cables are pretty well built, they feel a little delicate but also might be because they're new and I'm being extra careful with them. They're not stiff or cheap feeling. The cable is pretty manageable and is easy to wrap up when storing in the case.

As I'm listening to these I can't imagine how these can really get any better. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking to improve the sound quality of their 99s. I guess I'm curious how the Yaxi stPad2's will increase what others have voiced on this thread and push these even further. Happy listening everyone.
Well I must say that this is the most difficult headphone to get a "normal" sound from. I heard that these headphones are bassy, but that's a serious under statement. I haven't tried a cable upgrade so I don't know what affect they have.

Regarding the 2 sets of stock pads, neither of the pads that came with my 99 Noir's sounded very enjoyable (well maybe the first 10 minutes or so until my ears and head started to protest). However the Yaxi pads have transformed these headphones to a much more enjoyable (and less painful) level.

Frankly I can't understand why Meze continues to use the stock ear pads when they essentially destroy the sound of this headphone. At the very least a pair of Yaxi pads should be included with each pair of Meze 99 Noir's.

Hello Meze, I hope you're listening AND audition the Yaxi pads yourselves.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back