Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jun 19, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #6,378 of 7,696
Openback 99s w/o bass bloom and pads made for toddlers... If this is the case then sign me up!
Hey man, some kids have really big ears though. Can anyone tell me how manageable the Meze 99 pure silver balanced cable is? Is it at least as good as the cheaper one? I'd be using it on the go, and I can't handle fighting cables nonstop.

Jun 20, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #6,384 of 7,696
Does anybody has both, 99 Classic and Sundara? I see that Meze is warmer, bassier, Sundara clearee sounding, but is there a large difference in sound quality in general?
The Sundara is definitely the better-sounding headphone, if huge bass is not your primary passion. The HiFiMan has less coloration to its sound and far better technicalities.

On the other hand, the Meze 99 is an all-out bass-rocking headphone, with thick, heavy lows, and a somewhat dark presentation. It's quite fun to listen to.

I don't own both, but I have auditioned them on several occasions. For my tastes, I'll definitely pick the 99 Classics/Noir. Although, based on your own preferences, you might disagree.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #6,385 of 7,696
Hi, I got the regular one (3rd gen) and was not satisfied. I purchased the Yaxi stPad 2, following head-fi members advice. They are comfortable and massively improves the Meze 99 Classics sound. I don't know about the smaller pads.
I too read on this thread someone recommending the Yaxi pads. I didn't like the stock (larger) pads, the small round pads that also came with my 99 Noir were better sounding to me, but I still found the bass waaaaay too dominant with both of the Meze pads. I decided to purchase the Yaxi pads and I prefer them much more than the Meze pads. There's still plenty of bass (for me) with the Yaxi pads.

Jun 20, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #6,386 of 7,696
Hi, I got the regular one (3rd gen) and was not satisfied. I purchased the Yaxi stPad 2, following head-fi members advice. They are comfortable and massively improves the Meze 99 Classics sound. I don't know about the smaller pads.

I bought the smaller pads and without EQ I like them better than the larger ones, which sound to me a little loose in the bass and elevated in the mid bass... However, I went back to the larger pads with eq, which I really enjoy and find very comfortable... I used the eq settings from George debrescu, posted in this forum

Jun 20, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #6,387 of 7,696
Does anyone have a link to these pads or can confirm if these are the right ones? Do they always come with the blue/red? https://www.amazon.com/YAXI-stPad2-...xi+stpad2&qid=1592691193&s=electronics&sr=1-1

Looking to grab some myself, but can't find the proper link. Thanks!

Jun 20, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #6,388 of 7,696
Jun 20, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #6,389 of 7,696
How do these compare to the M100's, to someone that actually has them? The V-Moda M100's do it all for me. If these are better, explain how.
IMO, the 99 Neo (what I have) are a better sounding can, other than bass extension. Highs have more air, mids are cleaner, both are bass boosted, but in a different way. I think the VModa can push more of a bass cannon feel where the 99's are a bit more boomy and loose, but with a overall greater detail and instrument seperation.

Jun 20, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #6,390 of 7,696
The Sundara is definitely the better-sounding headphone, if huge bass is not your primary passion. The HiFiMan has less coloration to its sound and far better technicalities.

On the other hand, the Meze 99 is an all-out bass-rocking headphone, with thick, heavy lows, and a somewhat dark presentation. It's quite fun to listen to.

I don't own both, but I have auditioned them on several occasions. For my tastes, I'll definitely pick the 99 Classics/Noir. Although, based on your own preferences, you might disagree.
I've owned both. 99s all the way. Meze has great build quality and I won't comment on the other.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back