Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jan 18, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #4,758 of 7,696
Jan 19, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #4,760 of 7,696
Hi,
I am new to the forum and have just bought a pair of these 99`s. I have a couple of questions;
What difference does the balanced cable make?
If I wanted to change pads, without spending to much, what would you recommend?
The page number of this discussion would be great, is possible.
Thanks.
In my opinion a balanced cable does make an appreciable difference. Meze are currently selling the entry level balanced cable at half price, it’s the one I use.

Jan 19, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #4,761 of 7,696
Thanks for that Jim. I have used my 99`s with my Samsung Phone, I had to tweek th EQ. as there was to much bass. With my Ipad they sounded more balanced, with less bass taking over. Yesterday my rega ear amp arrived, I connected to my Brio r amp. Used my 99`s and wow! What a difference a quality source makes to them. Springsteen and Dan Auerbach up to now and I am really impressed. Today I will try different genre`s of music with them and really looking forward to that. The cable at half price does seem a good buy and I will probably go for it. So pleased I found out about the Meze brand:smile_phones:.
Thanks once again.

Jan 19, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #4,762 of 7,696
Congratulations!

Please share your thoughts once you get more time with them! :)

Thanks and will do! It's a work weekend for me so I'm planning on getting some time. Well, usually it's slow enough. I'm going to have my S9+, Tab S2, Dragonfly Red, and Fiio A5 on hand to put it through my typical portable situation.

Jan 19, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #4,763 of 7,696
Picked these up today! Whilst the pads are comfortable, they do muddy up the bass (as expected). A bit of EQ'ng has remedied this. I love how these sound; the soundstage is wider than I'm used to (I use Ety HF3's while on the go) and of course, the bass is greater in quantity (I can actually hear sound @20 hz now). Overall, I'm pleased. Though I am curious to know how much of a difference the old pads make.

Jan 19, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #4,764 of 7,696
Question here: who listens to classical/orchestral music with the Classics ? And how does it sound with it ?
I'm asking because I'm really interested in buying the Classics (or the Neo, not sure yet), and because I mainly listen to classical and film music.
Thanks !

Jan 19, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #4,766 of 7,696
In my opinion a balanced cable does make an appreciable difference. Meze are currently selling the entry level balanced cable at half price, it’s the one I use.
Out of stock on their site...they did adjust to the same price on Amazon now though, 6 left though

Jan 19, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #4,767 of 7,696
Thanks for that Jim. I have used my 99`s with my Samsung Phone, I had to tweek th EQ. as there was to much bass. With my Ipad they sounded more balanced, with less bass taking over. Yesterday my rega ear amp arrived, I connected to my Brio r amp. Used my 99`s and wow! What a difference a quality source makes to them. Springsteen and Dan Auerbach up to now and I am really impressed. Today I will try different genre`s of music with them and really looking forward to that. The cable at half price does seem a good buy and I will probably go for it. So pleased I found out about the Meze brand:smile_phones:.
Thanks once again.
Picked these up today! Whilst the pads are comfortable, they do muddy up the bass (as expected). A bit of EQ'ng has remedied this. I love how these sound; the soundstage is wider than I'm used to (I use Ety HF3's while on the go) and of course, the bass is greater in quantity (I can actually hear sound @20 hz now). Overall, I'm pleased. Though I am curious to know how much of a difference the old pads make.

You two are my heroes of the day! Sooooooo many Head-Fiers here wouldn't dare EQ the bass down, instead would rather complain.

Jan 19, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #4,768 of 7,696
Question here: who listens to classical/orchestral music with the Classics ? And how does it sound with it ?
I'm asking because I'm really interested in buying the Classics (or the Neo, not sure yet), and because I mainly listen to classical and film music.
Thanks !

I do, and the 99 Classics sound great (for a closed backed can)! While I prefer open-backed headphones, the 99 Classics certainly hold their own. Unlike other headphones, the 99 Classics are versatile in what genres sound good. However, I must add that they are really amp and cable dependant in this regard, but then again what headphone isn't? A good OCC cable and amp makes all the difference. It's not about "power", it's about control (grip).

Jan 19, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #4,769 of 7,696
Out of stock on their site...they did adjust to the same price on Amazon now though, 6 left though
I purchased this balanced cable. Still waiting for it to arrive.
Screenshot_2019-01-19-14-37-30.png

Jan 20, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #4,770 of 7,696
Thanks once again.
Once you get 100+ hours on them you’ll notice a significant improvement, at least I did. They really do scale well, I use mine with an iBasso DX200, I recently swapped the stock Amp1 for the Amp 8 and I am blown away. All genres sound amazing with this set up. Jazz is sublime, rock is awesome, vocals and acoustic guitars amazing. I could go on and on lol
Enjoy !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back