Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #4,771 of 7,704
If anyone who lives in the United Kingdom is looking for a pair of Meze 99 Classics. I am selling mine and it comes with all accessories. Let me know :)

Attachments

• 50326229_2186372241618146_4537205933985497088_n.jpg
    50326229_2186372241618146_4537205933985497088_n.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #4,772 of 7,704
It hardly affects, but enough to soften. I guess it depends on the amount of tape and the strength with which you make the mod.
For people that this magnificent headset seems too bassy, this is a good mod ... continues its great punch and the sub extends well.
Another advantage for me is that I wear glasses and the pressure on the sideburns has decreased.

I can +1 this. Helps with fatigue when comboed with glasses. Although, I miss the sub with it. The warm sub migrates into punchy bass which intensifies the profile. I will try to reduce the strength of the mod and limit it to a smaller area.

Jan 23, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #4,773 of 7,704
I can +1 this. Helps with fatigue when comboed with glasses. Although, I miss the sub with it. The warm sub migrates into punchy bass which intensifies the profile. I will try to reduce the strength of the mod and limit it to a smaller area.
Are you talking about third type of pads? ? ?
Because many people said that with first pads it's okay with bass

Jan 23, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #4,775 of 7,704
Thank you for the review, I found that really useful. I have had my 99’s less than a week, I am new to the world of cable upgrades. I use them with my IPad, Samsung S9 phone and my Rega Brio r amp. If I wanted to upgrade the cable, which one do you think would be more suited to all three sources? Having said that, with the amp having a 6.35 plug opening, the balanced cable would not be suitable for it. Any information or opinion would be welcome.
Thanks once again.

Jan 24, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #4,776 of 7,704
Thank you for the review, I found that really useful. I have had my 99’s less than a week, I am new to the world of cable upgrades. I use them with my IPad, Samsung S9 phone and my Rega Brio r amp. If I wanted to upgrade the cable, which one do you think would be more suited to all three sources? Having said that, with the amp having a 6.35 plug opening, the balanced cable would not be suitable for it. Any information or opinion would be welcome.
Thanks once again.
None of your sources will be compatible with a balanced cable, you’ll need a source with a balanced output. I use the ibasso dx200 with the amp 8 fitted, it uses a 4.4mm balanced output. I did have to buy a 4.4 to 2.5 ibasso adapter tho. Hope this helps.

Jan 24, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #4,778 of 7,704
Thanks once again Jim, that is a great help.
Cheers
Steve.
The Meze cable is back in stock for $50. You can still benefit from the upgraded SPC of the cable and better looks, just use adapters for your sources.

Jan 24, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #4,780 of 7,704
I actually use my Meze balanced cable with a 2.5 to 3.5 non balanced adapter. The sound quality is improved from the stock cable enough to justify the cost IMO.

Jan 24, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #4,782 of 7,704
There's a lot of different factors that go into cable creation. The ultimate goal is to have the cable transmit the signal without any signal loss or alteration of any kind, but due to the way cables are created there's almost always some disturbance to the signal which affects sound quality. It's up to us to decide if the change is good or bad, but every type of cable is going to sound a bit different. To me the Meze balanced cable (even without the balanced aspect) takes away the slight veil that the 99C's have, and just cleans up the sound quality overall. This is probably due to a combination of silver plating on the cable which brings out the highs a bit more, and generally a quality process in creating the cable so that the silver plating doesn't alter the signal too much. For me, the balanced cable equalizes the headphones a bit in a positive way, but it's all going to come down to user preference.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #4,783 of 7,704
Thanks once again.

I think that either would work, but you would require the proper adapters to use either cable :)

I actually use my Meze balanced cable with a 2.5 to 3.5 non balanced adapter. The sound quality is improved from the stock cable enough to justify the cost IMO.

I agree with this, I think that the Balanced cable would sound better even if you were using a 2.5 TRRS to 3.5 TRS cable adapter, because it has a better inner design, with a silver plated material, where the normal Meze cable is copper without silver plating :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back