Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #4,786 of 7,708
I just received the Classics and I must say that I already really like what I'm hearing. Curious, though, how will burn in change the sound?

Jan 26, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #4,787 of 7,708
I just received the Classics and I must say that I already really like what I'm hearing. Curious, though, how will burn in change the sound?

First and foremost, the bass will clean up and become more controlled, both from driver burn-in and ear pad break-in.

Jan 26, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #4,789 of 7,708
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought burn in was proven to be a myth?

I am NOT going to get into this discussion (for the umpteenth time). Some things simply can not be measured with equipment, period! Accept it or not and move on.

Jan 26, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #4,790 of 7,708
I am NOT going to get into this discussion (for the umpteenth time). Some things simply can not be measured with equipment, period! Accept it or not and move on.
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing either way. I'm not well versed in audio at a technical level. If you have any resources on this, I'm curious to read them.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #4,791 of 7,708
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing either way. I'm not well versed in audio at a technical level. If you have any resources on this, I'm curious to read now about them.

Apologies. There is zero evidence besides one's ears. The same argument goes for cables as well. Zero "measured" evidence that an 8-strand 6N OCC copper cable is any better than cheap dollar store interconnects. My advice is always trust your ears over what others write. I know I just contradicted myself with that last sentence... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jan 26, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #4,792 of 7,708
Apologies. There is zero evidence besides one's ears. The same argument goes for cables as well. Zero "measured" evidence that an 8-strand 6N OCC copper cable is any better than cheap dollar store interconnects. My advice is always trust your ears over what others write. I know I just contradicted myself with that last sentence... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Haha, all good. I'm just trying to sort the facts from the misinformation. I'm also keen to know because I have a pair of HF3's (also the 99 classics, for that matter, although they weren't part of the test I linked), which by all accounts are basically the HF5's, just with an inline mic.
What has been your experience with the classics, though? I'm using them with the most recent stock pads, running through the stock cables and the bass is a bit muddy. EQ'ng does help smooth this out, though it'd be nice if they had a little more control.

Jan 26, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #4,794 of 7,708
What are the differences between the classic and neo versions?
Neo has plastic housing vs wood housing of the Classics, bc of this you get some different bass resonance.

Jan 27, 2019 at 2:55 AM Post #4,795 of 7,708
As an electrical engineer I was very sceptical about “burn in”, but in my experience 100 hours of use made a huge difference to my 99 classics. It really did tighten up the bass, lost the boomy, veiled sound, they became a hugely enjoyable listen. I bought a pair of ibasso IT01’s for listening to music on the go. Paired with my ibasso DX200, I hated them. I couldn’t see what the reviewers seen in them. But I’d spent good money on them, so I burned them in for a week, I left them in a spare room playing a range of different genres for a full 7 days. It totally transformed them for me, they are now my favourite iems.
So as another poster has stated, the science may not back it up, but my ears certainly do.

Jan 27, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #4,796 of 7,708
As an electrical engineer I was very sceptical about “burn in”, but in my experience 100 hours of use made a huge difference to my 99 classics. It really did tighten up the bass, lost the boomy, veiled sound, they became a hugely enjoyable listen. I bought a pair of ibasso IT01’s for listening to music on the go. Paired with my ibasso DX200, I hated them. I couldn’t see what the reviewers seen in them. But I’d spent good money on them, so I burned them in for a week, I left them in a spare room playing a range of different genres for a full 7 days. It totally transformed them for me, they are now my favourite iems.
So as another poster has stated, the science may not back it up, but my ears certainly do.
I also have ibasso it01.
How did you burn it?

Jan 27, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #4,797 of 7,708
I also have ibasso it01.
How did you burn it?

" But I’d spent good money on them, so I burned them in for a week, I left them in a spare room playing a range of different genres for a full 7 days. "

Jan 27, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #4,799 of 7,708
The question is: is worth the extra spent on classic ?
Tough call, I had the Neo at one point and enjoyed them but returned back to Amazon in favor of another headphone which I eventually sold. Jumped on a used Classics set and will never sell them. Many enjoy both, I don't think you will go wrong with either, I like to think of the Classics as the slightly more refined version.

Jan 27, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #4,800 of 7,708
I chose the classic as I am a bit old school and think of wooden speaker cabinets, also the classics come with 2 cables and when I bought mine the Neo only had one. Very very pleased with the comfort and the sound quality. I will make up a balanced cable to compare with the stock cable.Parts are on order and I wait for delivery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back