Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #4,741 of 7,697
The silver maple does seem like a super-unique/rare find.

Jan 13, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #4,743 of 7,697
I know these are well regarded. Can anyone give a comparison of a headphone that sounds similar to these?

Closest cans that I have heard that have a similar sound sig would be both the Momentum, or the HD 600. It's somewhat hard to compare because of the wood cups of the 99 Classics, but definitely they were inspired by Sennheiser. In fact, when I first heard the Classics I commented (some 300 pages ago) that they sounded like a a mating of Sennheiser (mids and treble) and beyerdynamics (bass). After the pads (and drivers) broke in the beyerdynamics went away leaving a wooden cupped Sennheiser sig. I'd even go so far as the 99 Classics sounding like a modern AKG Sextette with a little more oomph in the lower end.

Jan 14, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #4,744 of 7,697
The 2nd pads were extremely short lived. Not too many people have them. As far as I know the 99 Classics never actually shipped with the 2nd pads, rather they were shipped from Meze to those who requested them.
Really? Have tou got picture in CM old and new pads? i dont understand really how to understand first,second or last version i havw got...

Jan 14, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #4,746 of 7,697
Hey @Nrocket,

The earpads that come with the 99 Classics Walnut Silver and Walnut Gold are the largest pads to date, the 3rd size as some would call it here in the forums.

As for the gaming part, the most we've played was the original Super Mario Bros. but oooh those Goombas getting squished in high res, just magic!

You should ask some people in the forums what they think of the 99 Classics and gaming.
Hey , i undertand why u switch first version to second, and why switch 2nd version of pads to third version? whats the reason?

Jan 14, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #4,747 of 7,697
I've done the measurements and then I have a pair of third version (the ones that came with the headphones) and a pair of second version (50 x 60 and little depth).

The first version are 40x55 and the same depth as the second version.

Let's see if Meze will soon release the first version for comparison.

Jan 14, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #4,748 of 7,697
I've done the measurements and then I have a pair of third version (the ones that came with the headphones) and a pair of second version (50 x 60 and little depth).

The first version are 40x55 and the same depth as the second version.

Let's see if Meze will soon release the first version for comparison.
my is my is 49x 64 cm , its third version?)

Jan 17, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #4,754 of 7,697
Hi,
I am new to the forum and have just bought a pair of these 99`s. I have a couple of questions;
What difference does the balanced cable make?
If I wanted to change pads, without spending to much, what would you recommend?
The page number of this discussion would be great, is possible.
Thanks.

Jan 17, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #4,755 of 7,697
Hi,
I am new to the forum and have just bought a pair of these 99`s. I have a couple of questions;
What difference does the balanced cable make?
If I wanted to change pads, without spending to much, what would you recommend?
The page number of this discussion would be great, is possible.
Thanks.

In general, balanced cables improve sound quality a bit for various reasons. Specifically talking about the Meze balanced cable, aside from the balanced aspect the cable is also higher quality than the stock cable. So even if you use a non-balanced adapter with it you will still get better quality (to my ears). A full review that details all of the changes is linked on page 307, post 4603:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mez...ressions-thread.794593/page-307#post-14651911

Regarding pad changing, that's a much more polarizing topic. Some recommend the Brainwavz oval sheepskin pads, and I'd personally recommend Yaxi Stpad2's. That topic is largely discussed starting on page 307 and goes through 311 or so, but there's sporadic mentions of pad swapping thoughout this entire thread.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mez...ressions-thread.794593/page-307#post-14651050

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back