Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #4,711 of 7,700
I probably would’ve gravitated towards the Fostex TH-X00. One of the best closed backs on the market but it has poor isolation because of holes/vents on the headphone so I probably wouldn’t be able to use it at work, which is a shame. That headphone is more v-shaped but it’s supposedly done right.

In consideration of a V/U shaped headphone, then the Ultrasone Signature DJ's can be had new for about the same price as the TH-X00 (sub $500). In my buying research the consensus seemed to be that the Signature DJ's somewhat similar to the TH-X00, but isolating. If you are looking for mids over everything, the Meze's are likely still the best choice though.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #4,712 of 7,700
In consideration of a V/U shaped headphone, then the Ultrasone Signature DJ's can be had new for about the same price as the TH-X00 (sub $500). In my buying research the consensus seemed to be that the Signature DJ's somewhat similar to the TH-X00, but isolating. If you are looking for mids over everything, the Meze's are likely still the best choice though.
Yeah. I guess it's just the case that every headphone has a drawback. The Meze has the bass issue, PM3 has small soundstage and dead treble. I kinda miss the days of innocence where the M50x was my first and only headphone lol. I didn't know any better, I just enjoyed them, because I knew nothing else. Then I got the Dt770 and was like "oh, something I don't like". Now I'm super critical.

If Sennheiser made an HD620, that would be ideal :)

Jan 7, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #4,714 of 7,700
I kinda miss the days of innocence where the M50x was my first and only headphone lol. I didn't know any better, I just enjoyed them, because I knew nothing else.

Truer words were never spoken!:jecklinsmile:

Shane D

Jan 7, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #4,716 of 7,700
You know, I remember that being one of my considerations and just completely forgot about it. Do you have it? Looks a little big/cumbersome but otherwise I’m quite surprised it’s not more popular, being from the Senn HD family.

I do have it and there is a thread for it and reviews. Love it... but personally would not use it as a portable. It does look big and cumbersome but is very comfy and sounds great. The VB actually works... goes from bass light to what would be too much for me. I usually have the dial a bit past half. Beautiful tonality. I just wish the cable was removable without modding because I prefer cables with no mic. No problem with it though.

Jan 9, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #4,719 of 7,700
Today I received great news from Meze. Soon more info

How soon is soon :yum:?

If they are done with the 4th pad redesign, then soon can't come soon enough.

Jan 10, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #4,720 of 7,700
Thank you to everyone who recommended getting the official balanced cable. I started using it yesterday and I do like the improvements. Details are improved, and everything is tightened up a bit.

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #4,721 of 7,700
Wow- this is really a nice headphone... I needed a closed back headphone (wife complained when listening to the Sundaras in the bedroom...)

I've been auditioning headphones:
  • M50x - sounded honky or Idk something weird - was it just a bit unbalanced or idk ... words cannot describe
  • Beyerdynamics 770 - wasn't bad - just didn't do anything for me

But this little guy is awesome, fun, musical-- I can really overlook it's faults-- like it breaks up/distorts or whatever at very high volumes-- (who needs high volumes, right- it's a closed phone!) and there seems to be a veil of some kind over the entire sound signature, but it's great.

And, I have the cheap ole black and silver version - no wood.

I am auditioning higher end closed backs in the next few weeks (Audeze LCD2, XC, Elegia)-- not sure I need to spend that kind of money given this buddy's strengths.

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #4,722 of 7,700
One thing-- this phone is having trouble being transparent with Fly by Sugar Ray. It's still fun and lightweight, but the music feels like it's wrapped in thin plastic wrap. I think it has trouble resolving some musical elements -- or is it uncontrolled bass? Idk, but I'm comparing the 99s to $500-$900 open back phones. So, not a fair or even good comparison. I think the Meze 99, though, at $300 for wood- $200 for non-wood is a steal and a wonderful choice for anyone needed closed back with good musical fidelity. Really highly recommended!

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #4,723 of 7,700
One final thought. I can’t recall the sound signature of the CD3000s but the look and sense of excitement I had with them originally reminds me of the 99s. They’re so lightweight and isolate well. I’m really impressed and happy. I’ve wondered if today’s closed back could even be close to an open back from a fidelity point of view.

For $200-$300 there’s a capable headphone out there. Now I’ll see how it compares to the Elegia, LCD2 closed, and LCE-XC!

Jan 10, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #4,724 of 7,700
The eagle has landed! New in box, original pads! If anyone is interested, there's a 2nd pair still available in the for sale section.
Now for some in depth listening. I hope they are as good with rock and metal as people have suggested. Let's see how they handle some Udo Dirkschneider, Accept style!
20190110_165619_HDR.jpg
20190110_165602_HDR.jpg

Jan 10, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #4,725 of 7,700
The eagle has landed! New in box, original pads! If anyone is interested, there's a 2nd pair still available in the for sale section.
Now for some in depth listening. I hope they are as good with rock and metal as people have suggested. Let's see how they handle some Udo Dirkschneider, Accept style!

Fantastic! You won the lottery!
I am absolutely positive you will love them with rock and metal! :metal::sunglasses:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back