Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Nov 19, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #4,516 of 7,695
@devin.oct I haven't used Hybrids on the 99C but I have used them on another pair of bassy headphones then switched to the SS BW pads and the amount of bass that I gained was noticable. As far as mids and highs not sure.

Nov 19, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #4,517 of 7,695
Well, i think Classics with my modded Hybrid sound really great i love them, maybe i like it more than with the original earpads(i think mine are 2nd gen pads, so bass is quite boomy), the downside(?) is just flaws in bad recordings are more exposed now because it sounds clearer with a little bit more mids and highs.
Sheep Skin should sound great without mods, as there are many recommendations about it.
I'm not really interested in YAXI, too expensive IMHO.

Just put some foam cover inside earpads, i suspect the problem is with Brainwavz' thin foam cover and it's size(it's designed for their HM5 after all), thicker foam cover should improve bass and tame harsh mids/highs.
it's similar with Senn HD558 foam mod, except it's the opposite of that.

What kind of foam is that ? Where do you put the foam ? In front of driver ? Please tell me more about that mod. I need that characteristic for my ath-msr7 because the treble is ear piercing and the bass is too thin compared to my phonon because im using $10 non-branded earpads replacement due to yaxi price is 4 times these earpads.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #4,518 of 7,695
I think Massdrop for UK is OK. There is no way to avoid 20% VAT like in some state combinations in US so this is where the bulk of the import fees is.

The rest is 15$ ( circa 12£ currently ) for shipping costs compared to free shipping or 5£ shipping costs from UK

Plus

8.5 £ customs entry.

Also there is a premium over the FX rate from PayPal but if someone has better FX conversion from his/her credit card can eliminate that premium as well.

So 12£ + 7.5£ around 20£ the minimum premium of shopping from UK.

But there is also a premium by buying from other manufacturers locally which sometimes charge the uncertainty from the FX movements against customer. So a 300£ product in the UK is quoted 300$ in the US and after adding the 20% tax still there is around a 20£ premium based on the current FX rate.

For example, 58X comes in total to 165£ now and this is still 2.6 times less than the 660s in UK but not 3 times less as it is in US.

Plus I would pay a premium to have the beautiful Meze 99 Noir or HD6xx(instead of HD650).

The problem for me is not the import duties but Massdrop with its great offerings. Maybe they should stop shipping to UK in order for me to stop buying any other headphones...

Nov 19, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #4,519 of 7,695
Nov 19, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #4,520 of 7,695
@devin.oct I haven't used Hybrids on the 99C but I have used them on another pair of bassy headphones then switched to the SS BW pads and the amount of bass that I gained was noticable. As far as mids and highs not sure.

BW pads are popular among m40x/m50x users, and it reduces a lot of bass, i'm suspecting due to the massive difference in size between stock and BW pads.
What are these bassy headphones?

What kind of foam is that ? Where do you put the foam ? In front of driver ? Please tell me more about that mod. I need that characteristic for my ath-msr7 because the treble is ear piercing and the bass is too thin compared to my phonon because im using $10 non-branded earpads replacement due to yaxi price is 4 times these earpads.

This one.
japanese-organic-cotton-pads.jpg

Just take out the earpads, and then in the plastic housing covering the driver put some of these, on my 99c i use 3 layers thick, i taped all 4 corner of the pads so it stick to the plastic and covering the driver.
You could start with 1 layer on your MSR7, trial and error which suits your preference better.
99c are a great cans for mods anyway. :grin:

Yes, that is why i don't think Yaxi is a good purchase, BW SheepSkin is far better IMO.

I used Hybrid which has this velour on the sides that reduces bass if you are using leather-kind earpads i think you can go with thinner layer.
This comfort coupled with better sound sig in my opinion as the original bass is a bit over-emphasized, couldn't be happier. :)

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #4,523 of 7,695
For anyone who has these, how do the HiFiMan HE-4xx and Sundara compare to the 99C's?
4xx more open (of course lol) but more rumble and bass extension with the 99C. Kinda hard to compare Planar to a Dynamic driver

Nov 20, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #4,524 of 7,695
For anyone who has these, how do the HiFiMan HE-4xx and Sundara compare to the 99C's?
I've had the 400s and 99 Classics. 99s are a much more fun sound imo. The Hifiman is bass shy in comparison, better highs, though not necessarily more enjoyable. I found them to sterile for my taste. Mids are more forward with the Hifiman, but that along with the sterile sound kinda turned me off, and I'm a mid loving madman. The 99s make you want to move, meaning some people might find them more musical. The new pads elevated the bass to a somewhat unruly level for me, and took away from the mids. Originally, they were great for rock music, but word of the street is that Meze is changing pads again. Hopefully they get around to it before the 99 Noir hits sale status.

Nov 20, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #4,525 of 7,695
Originally, they were great for rock music, but word of the street is that Meze is changing pads again. Hopefully they get around to it before the 99 Noir hits sale status.

And before they do, Meze should send off a few sample pairs to users who still use the originals pads for our approval. :wink:

Nov 20, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #4,527 of 7,695

I LOVE my 99's and have for a long time. Great sound and beautiful. And being closed back makes them a lot more practical.

I got my HE4XX's today and they are amazing! It has a really open, detailed sound with lots of bass. I spent about three hours going through Florence and the Machine and was very impressed. I will open up the selection to hard rock and jazz tomorrow.

My cheapest headphones are sounding awfully good right now. Of course there is a bit of "shiny new toy" syndrome at this point, so I won't go on anymore for a while.:grinning:

Shane D

Nov 21, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #4,528 of 7,695
For S&Gs, I bought a pair of Shure 1540 pads. A lot bassier sound than my the SS BW pads. Not as comfy either. Still they are pretty good. Not sure how they compare to OG pads.

Nov 23, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #4,529 of 7,695
For S&Gs, I bought a pair of Shure 1540 pads. A lot bassier sound than my the SS BW pads. Not as comfy either. Still they are pretty good. Not sure how they compare to OG pads.

Have you tried the PU leather BW pads? I've tried them and as far as i can tell it sounds closer to the latest largest Meze pads, maybe even more bass.
Unfortunately i can't compare it to the stock pads directly, so it is all by memory.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #4,530 of 7,695
Have you tried the PU leather BW pads? I've tried them and as far as i can tell it sounds closer to the latest largest Meze pads, maybe even more bass.
Unfortunately i can't compare it to the stock pads directly, so it is all by memory.
Don't believe I've tried those on the 99C

Users who are viewing this thread

Back