Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
May 2, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #3,932 of 7,712
It can happen to any headphone, I had to return my first Beyer Dynamic T1.2 with a dead left driver and Denon MM440 with channel imbalance. Luckily my Meze's were just perfect

May 4, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #3,933 of 7,712
So, I got the replacement pair this morning. Flawless F&F, and surprising light weight. Sound is really nice...very fun and non fatiguing. I will say that they are close to my M1060 in how they sound except for sound-stage and tightness/roll off of bass. The 99C's have a ripple in the lows that the M1060's don't have. The M1060's maintain a tighter bass. But they both have a slight darkness to them. Compared to my HE-400i's, they have a sound signature more to my liking because of the better bass.

Listen to Darkside's - "Paper Trails" for the bass rippling/smudging....whatever you call it.

So going through this thread I take it they need a decent break-in. Also I see that some have replaced pads......Which pads are people having luck with controlling the bass, and are pads like the Brainwavz Sheepskin a direct replacement?

Anyhow, over all they are really nice and I am looking forward to getting more time on them.

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #3,934 of 7,712
For anyone who has the balanced cable from Meze, how much difference does it make compared to the stock SE cable?
I have read the review, it looks like it improved it quite a bit, but I wanna hear more opinion about this.
It will be paired with the Fiio X7 II or the Hiby R6.

May 6, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #3,936 of 7,712
Hey I'm thinking of getting some pads since I've heard the new ones really increase the bass and decrease the mids. What pads would you recommend that are most similar to the old pads while taming the bass and increasing mids and trebles.

I have the same question.

May 7, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #3,937 of 7,712
For anyone who has the balanced cable from Meze, how much difference does it make compared to the stock SE cable?
I have read the review, it looks like it improved it quite a bit, but I wanna hear more opinion about this.
It will be paired with the Fiio X7 II or the Hiby R6.
I have the Silver one.
In my oppinion the bass seems thighter and more controlled. additionally there is a little more extension on both ends and i hear more air in the stage.
Is it worth the price? Consider the following:

+great build quality and ergonomics
+additional adapter (might be handy also with other 2,5 trrs cables)
+better sound (no big jump in Quality)
+possible to use balanced (daps often perform better on balanced)

If i had to make the decission again i would buy the cable again.

May 7, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #3,938 of 7,712
...and a more practical length (1.5m) and above all - microphonics issues (be gone!), for me.

PS: In terms of construction, build and practicality of the Meze Silver / Copper, I'm all for it. To clarify, for me personally, I am not convinced cable (any cable) can change sound and if it does I can't say in my listening experience I hear a difference. I must say, I have never had the chance to try any high-end cables. I have Meze Silver / stock cable.

I have the Silver one.
In my oppinion the bass seems thighter and more controlled. additionally there is a little more extension on both ends and i hear more air in the stage.
Is it worth the price? Consider the following:

+great build quality and ergonomics
+additional adapter (might be handy also with other 2,5 trrs cables)
+better sound (no big jump in Quality)
+possible to use balanced (daps often perform better on balanced)

If i had to make the decission again i would buy the cable again.

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #3,939 of 7,712
OK, after listening to these straight since last Friday, I feel the bass is going to drive me nuts. Best way to explain it, is being at a live show and walking into the bathroom. The way the bass, drums end up being muffled. Or like holding a pillow against your ear, or having a slight head cold. After reading through these threads, it seems the original pads did not have this issue, or it wasn't so bad.

May 8, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #3,940 of 7,712
OK, after listening to these straight since last Friday, I feel the bass is going to drive me nuts. Best way to explain it, is being at a live show and walking into the bathroom. The way the bass, drums end up being muffled. Or like holding a pillow against your ear, or having a slight head cold. After reading through these threads, it seems the original pads did not have this issue, or it wasn't so bad.
Try getting the MSR7 pads as they decrease bass and increase mids

May 8, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #3,943 of 7,712
So I’m thinking of getting these. What are they like with the new pads, what cans are you coming from and can you update us when you get the MSR7 pads?

My HP's are in my sig. And adding to my post above....These are great sounding cans, and while I like to run bit-perfect without any EQ/DSP, they do respond well to some EQ to tame the bass a bit. But between these and my M1060's....I like those better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back