Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Aug 4, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #2,821 of 7,703

Yes even putting on the velour as well as the pleather ones are indeed a herculean task!

Aug 4, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #2,822 of 7,703
Yes even putting on the velour as well as the pleather ones are indeed a herculean task!

A reviewer on amazon said it took him 20 minutes per pad to put a Brainwavz set on his headphones. You get one bit on and another bit pops off and you have to be careful not to tear them. I will NEVER take them off my Fostex to try them on anything else.

Aug 4, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #2,823 of 7,703
Just want to reiterate what a beautiful synergy the 99c is with the BL. I have to say i love this sound signature as much as i enjoy the warm velvet sound presented by the likes of X5 III
@PinkyPowers I know why you don't like the BL.
@Dobrescu George I know exactly why you love the BL.

Aug 4, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #2,824 of 7,703
A reviewer on amazon said it took him 20 minutes per pad to put a Brainwavz set on his headphones. You get one bit on and another bit pops off and you have to be careful not to tear them. I will NEVER take them off my Fostex to try them on anything else.

Btw i am a pro now! If i would time it.. 120 seconds tops on each. :D

Aug 4, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #2,825 of 7,703
Got that cable (pure copper) preordered since tuesday, it is currently on it's way. I'll let you guys know as soon as it arrives. Bought AM3 balanced module for my Fiio X7 some time ago just to be prepared =)

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #2,828 of 7,703
So it has been quite some time since i received my meze 99 classics replacement.They are just shy of perfect why ???

Because the earpads are bigger, now dont get me wrong they are comfy as hell but sound details are screwed.If i clamp/pressure the headphone cups using my hands, behold the glorious sound is back and as soon as i let them go bam its not good.So before the replacement had the perfect pads and everything except for the fact that the cups were physically damaged and now that everything's good, the sound is screwed.

So guys any suggestions pls or should i contact meze for those smaller pads ?

Btw how many versions of earpads are out there 3 or more ???

Aug 5, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #2,830 of 7,703
So you didn't try the angled sheepskins? Unfortunately the stock earpads are unusable for me after 2 hours of wearing them. I need closed back headphones that I can wear for 5-8 hours a day at work, so I'm currently using my ATH-M50x until I can find replacement earpads for my Meze 99s. The sound of the Meze is a decent bit better than the M50x but I've never had any comfort issues with the Audio Technicas. Now I'm not sure what to do... Might just have to sell them.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #2,831 of 7,703
Would I want to purchase angled or flat Brainwavz earpads for these? I'm thinking of trying the sheepskin.

Go with flat I'd say. Angled will bring some headaches down the way consider that you have to paly with them to find a fit, while with flat types you should find a sweet spot quickly.

So it has been quite some time since i received my meze 99 classics replacement.They are just shy of perfect why ???

Because the earpads are bigger, now dont get me wrong they are comfy as hell but sound details are screwed.If i clamp/pressure the headphone cups using my hands, behold the glorious sound is back and as soon as i let them go bam its not good.So before the replacement had the perfect pads and everything except for the fact that the cups were physically damaged and now that everything's good, the sound is screwed.

So guys any suggestions pls or should i contact meze for those smaller pads ?

Btw how many versions of earpads are out there 3 or more ???

You can contact Meze for the smaller pads, but just my two cents, I found the large pads to be quite good after playing with some EQ. I know that not everyone is an avid adept of using EQ, but I warmingly recommend it with 99C since the drivers are really good and can take a lot of EQ with zero distortion.

Aug 5, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #2,832 of 7,703
Go with flat I'd say. Angled will bring some headaches down the way consider that you have to paly with them to find a fit, while with flat types you should find a sweet spot quickly.

You can contact Meze for the smaller pads, but just my two cents, I found the large pads to be quite good after playing with some EQ. I know that not everyone is an avid adept of using EQ, but I warmingly recommend it with 99C since the drivers are really good and can take a lot of EQ with zero distortion.

You can ask. They did not have the originals anymore though. Those too me sounded best, but mine became unglued.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #2,835 of 7,703
So you didn't try the angled sheepskins? Unfortunately the stock earpads are unusable for me after 2 hours of wearing them. I need closed back headphones that I can wear for 5-8 hours a day at work, so I'm currently using my ATH-M50x until I can find replacement earpads for my Meze 99s. The sound of the Meze is a decent bit better than the M50x but I've never had any comfort issues with the Audio Technicas. Now I'm not sure what to do... Might just have to sell them.

No, only the flat ones. I didn't want the angled ones cuz I thought they'd make the headphones look too huge. lol

Decent bit? To me, the Meze is on another level, but that's me. lol

Yeah I agree with George. Contact Meze and see if what they can do for you. Their customer service ppl are the best! First class!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back