Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Aug 3, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #2,806 of 7,681
From my understanding, there is now a third set of pads Meze manufactures that are used on the Meze 99 Neos, but I don't believe these are for sale individually yet.

I just compared my Neo pads to my husband's Classic pads (the larger ones). They are nearly identical. Definitly not larger.

Aug 3, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #2,807 of 7,681
Hi everyone, I made an account just to post here. I have been monitoring this thread for the last three months or so since I purchased my Meze 99 Classics in Maple/Silver. These headphones sound fantastic, a nice upgrade from the ATH-M50x (my ongoing, first love). Combined with the Fiio E10k DAC/amp I have been nothing but pleased by the audio quality as my "at-work" setup.

However, the Meze 99 earpad situation is a big problem for me. Let me start by clarifying, my ears and head are average shape and size. I had read about the small/shallow earpad issues prior to purchasing, but I shrugged it off because I didn't think it would be a problem for me. Well I was very wrong. When I first put on the headphones, they are extremely comfortable and soft creating a nice seal - I would actually say they are initially much more comfortable than my ATH-M50x with velour pads (I've never had any comfort issues with these). But after wearing the Meze 99s for more than 2 hours, they really start to kill my ears to the point where I want to get rid of them. I guess the earpads are so shallow that my ears are pressing against the drivers, or the pads are just barely too small for me in diameter so that they are creating unnecessary pressure points on the edge of my ears.

I initially had hoped that I would either get used to the new headphones or they would break in. Unfortunately after several months neither happened and I find myself really regretting my purchase regardless of how great they sound. I have done a fair bit of research on my options. I initially contacted Meze directly and they recommended that I purchase the "larger" black earpads offered on their store website. I did so but unfortunately I don't see much of a difference in the two pads and I have the same problem. From my understanding, there is now a third set of pads Meze manufactures that are used on the Meze 99 Neos, but I don't believe these are for sale individually yet. Now I have begun to research different third-party earpads that I can replace them with. Different varieties of Brainwavz pads are said to fit (although some more gracefully than others) but most (almost all) people report a significant change in sound for the worse once the pads are swapped.

Now I'm just not sure what to do. Do I take the $100 loss (even though they are in near perfect condition, minor marks/scratches from daily use in a cubicle) and sell them? It doesn't feel right sacrificing sound quality on $300 headphones, just so your ears don't hurt. I'm pretty bummed out that I have to choose between the two (comfort or sound quality). Anyways, just wanted to add my two cents and let everyone know I will be monitoring the thread for any updates on earpad replacements in the future.

Try HM5 sheepskin or HM5 velour, if you liked the velour on ATH-50x

IT is hard to find anything that comes close to 99C in this price range if you're looking at over-the-ear headphones - speaking from experience since I tested a few pairs in this price area...

Aug 3, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #2,808 of 7,681
Hi everyone, I made an account just to post here. I have been monitoring this thread for the last three months or so since I purchased my Meze 99 Classics in Maple/Silver. These headphones sound fantastic, a nice upgrade from the ATH-M50x (my ongoing, first love). Combined with the Fiio E10k DAC/amp I have been nothing but pleased by the audio quality as my "at-work" setup.

However, the Meze 99 earpad situation is a big problem for me. Let me start by clarifying, my ears and head are average shape and size. I had read about the small/shallow earpad issues prior to purchasing, but I shrugged it off because I didn't think it would be a problem for me. Well I was very wrong. When I first put on the headphones, they are extremely comfortable and soft creating a nice seal - I would actually say they are initially much more comfortable than my ATH-M50x with velour pads (I've never had any comfort issues with these). But after wearing the Meze 99s for more than 2 hours, they really start to kill my ears to the point where I want to get rid of them. I guess the earpads are so shallow that my ears are pressing against the drivers, or the pads are just barely too small for me in diameter so that they are creating unnecessary pressure points on the edge of my ears.

I initially had hoped that I would either get used to the new headphones or they would break in. Unfortunately after several months neither happened and I find myself really regretting my purchase regardless of how great they sound. I have done a fair bit of research on my options. I initially contacted Meze directly and they recommended that I purchase the "larger" black earpads offered on their store website. I did so but unfortunately I don't see much of a difference in the two pads and I have the same problem. From my understanding, there is now a third set of pads Meze manufactures that are used on the Meze 99 Neos, but I don't believe these are for sale individually yet. Now I have begun to research different third-party earpads that I can replace them with. Different varieties of Brainwavz pads are said to fit (although some more gracefully than others) but most (almost all) people report a significant change in sound for the worse once the pads are swapped.

Now I'm just not sure what to do. Do I take the $100 loss (even though they are in near perfect condition, minor marks/scratches from daily use in a cubicle) and sell them? It doesn't feel right sacrificing sound quality on $300 headphones, just so your ears don't hurt. I'm pretty bummed out that I have to choose between the two (comfort or sound quality). Anyways, just wanted to add my two cents and let everyone know I will be monitoring the thread for any updates on earpad replacements in the future.

From what I've been hearing, the Brainwavs HM5 velour should do wonders for your situation.

Aug 3, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #2,809 of 7,681
Try HM5 sheepskin or HM5 velour, if you liked the velour on ATH-50x

IT is hard to find anything that comes close to 99C in this price range if you're looking at over-the-ear headphones - speaking from experience since I tested a few pairs in this price area...

From what I've been hearing, the Brainwavs HM5 velour should do wonders for your situation.

Sheepskin is definitely better than Velour.

Aug 3, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #2,810 of 7,681
Aug 3, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #2,811 of 7,681

I have not needed nor wanted to change my Mese pads but the Brainwavs HM5 velour pads totally destroyed the sound of my NAD HP50s. I had to go back to stock and later found other pads for them. I only wanted to change them for comfort reasons.

I have Brainwavz hybrid pads on my Fostex t50rp mk3s. Those pads are very comfortable to me and did not hurt the sound. No idea if they would suit the Mezes. I have not seen anyone mention trying them.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #2,812 of 7,681
I have not needed nor wanted to change my Mese pads but the Brainwavs HM5 velour pads totally destroyed the sound of my NAD HP50s. I had to go back to stock and later found other pads for them. I only wanted to change them for comfort reasons.

I have Brainwavz hybrid pads on my Fostex t50rp mk3s. Those pads are very comfortable to me and did not hurt the sound. No idea if they would suit the Mezes. I have not seen anyone mention trying them.

Interesting!
i first got the velour pads which, as you correctly pointed out, destroyed the sound. It was an instant reaction and they were off and return initiated within minutes. Then i got the Pu-leather ones, at this point i was really tempted to get the hybrid ones. However, better sense evaded me and i ended up with the PU-leather ones which are very comfortable. It just tames the bass to an extent that may not be acceptable to many. I was mortified of velour and therefore skipped the hybrid ones. I just wish they were a tighter fit on the cup which would prevent the bleed and have a more controlled bass sig.

Aug 3, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #2,813 of 7,681

hamubrglar,

Maple/Silver? THAT'S your problem right there my friend. The issue, Meze stopped making new Maple/Silver 99 Classics a WHILE ago........even before they (wisely) decided to enlarge the earpads on this model headphone. So because of that, you got the smaller ear pads where if you'd bought a NEW silver walnut or gold walnut 99 C, you would've got the larger ear pads like I did (silver walnut).

So you got the larger ear pads and you still weren't happy? I dunno what to tell you man. You COULD try something a little deeper and nicer like the $40 sheepskin leather Brainwavz ear pads I just got, but I ended up returning them actually b/c they made the 99 C sound too "flat" for me, and I didn't feel like re-EQ'ing my set up to make them work. But they were a little deeper than the (enlarged) stock ones, so that's something to consider.

I'm glad that you were wise enough to get a nice amp/DAC to drive them though. But I feel bad that you have to choose b/t comfort and sound quality. You could try one of the other Brainwavz pads like maybe the velour ones? I dunno man. I wish I could be of more help to ya.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #2,814 of 7,681

Oh yes :beyersmile:

The only headphones that ever sounded acceptable with velour are HD600 and HD800S in my honest opinion, and that is solely because they are tuned to do so and the velour they use is specialy designed to work with the headphones.

On the other hand, some people might enjoy the way music is presented with less bass by velour pads although I for one probably wouldn't since the playful and impactful bass of 99C is one of the things I love the most about them :smile_phones:

Aug 4, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #2,815 of 7,681
Most of the times I prefer velour pads for both sound and comfort on my headphones. That being said different headphones can react very different to the same material so in my experience there's no standard answer (as always when it comes to these subjective things).

Lately I've been trying out some different pads on the Meze 99C and these are my impressions so far:

Mr Speakers Alpha pads:
Unfortunately my pair (has been on a pair of T50rp so they're pretty wide) is too big to fit properly so no impressions on them.

HM5 angled hybrid pads:
These were the first third party pads I tried on the 99C and I like them quite a bit. Much more air and wider soundstage but less mid presence and less midbass while subbass is at least as present (maybe even more) than with the stock pads.

HM5 pleather pads (non-angled):
Not good at all imo. Floppy bass, compressed soundstage etc. Didn't bother to use them for more than a couple of songs. Not for me at all.

HM5 hybrid (non-angled):
Equally airy and wide stage as its angled siblings but even less bass presence. I've been using these for about a week now and will soon revert back to the angled ones to see which I prefer most of the two.

All the pads I've tried so far has changed the sound quite a bit and not everyone will like the changes.

For me personally I'd choose the HM5 hybrids (angled or not) for critical listening at home and the stock ones for out and about. As always YMMV, yada yada etc......

Aug 4, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #2,816 of 7,681
Interesting - I've been looking at the brainwavs pads in velour - I much prefer the feel of velour, and find the standard (larger) pads can get a little hot in extended listening. There's a set of them in my amazon basket - but I'm concerned about the sheer size of them!

I'm actually really tempted (as I have some nice velour material) to dismantle my smaller pads which I never use, use the larger ones as a model, and make my own using the Meze plastic frame and backing from the smaller pads. hmmmm.....

Aug 4, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #2,817 of 7,681
Well pleased today - I had returned my first HA-200 headphone amp under warranty due to a slight hum. Optoma NuForce were absolutely superb - Immediate response, Return raised, very helpful, several phone calls to keep me informed, and a prompt return. (There was an issue with the power supply which they've replaced, pleasingly they had it on soak test for some time before returning)

In the meantime I got my balanced cables made up, so today is the first day of being able to use the Meze 99Cs with the balanced monoblocks and my home-made balanced cables. It's felt like a slow journey building this system up, but wow was it worth it..

I'm SO impressed with this move to balanced monos.. Soundstage, clarity, punch, depth, and it's particularly noticable on more complex tracks. I am also pleasingly surprised - I had 'hoped' for this, but half expected I might already have been at the limits of what the 99C can deliver - very happy to report I was wrong, and they have embraced thisextra punch available from the monoblocks. Am currently finding it difficult to focus on work vs listening to as much music as I can, I'm loving this refreshed sound so much! This is an excellent DAC and amps combo, and I'm over the moon that the Meze's are a good match.

If I can sort the pads for long-term comfort - then that'll be it :)

Meze 99C dual HA200 monoblocks and Audiolab Mdac Plus.jpg

Aug 4, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #2,819 of 7,681
Aug 4, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #2,820 of 7,681
This is an excellent DAC and amps combo, and I'm over the moon that the Meze's are a good match.
If I can sort the pads for long-term comfort - then that'll be it.

Maybe you should try the Brainwavz hybrids. The part touching your face will be velour. The inner and outer parts will be pleather. I find them very comfortable on my Fostex as I mentioned above. They were very difficult to put on. My husband did it for me. Took ages and there was much swearing coming from the other room. I tried to stay out of the way, lol.

Beautiful looking cable

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back