Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jun 11, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #2,416 of 7,715
I also thought that only the ovals would work. Peter, please confirm if the round ones work, when you get them.

I think I will order a pair as well, but I think I might go with rounds and with leather instead of velour, I don't know if I would like how velour feels on my skin...

I was under the impression that the oval ones fit. Thanks for letting me know that the round one fits too.

Sorry if I'm confusing anyone: the round ones I've ordered to try with some other headphones, I'm also sure that the oval ones would be the best fit for the Meze.

I've got several different oval ones (pleather, velour and hybrid) so I can try both them and the round ones (if they fit) when they arrive and let you guys know which works best to my ears.

Jun 11, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #2,417 of 7,715
Sorry if I'm confusing anyone: the round ones I've ordered to try with some other headphones, I'm also sure that the oval ones would be the best fit for the Meze.

I've got several different oval ones (pleather, velour and hybrid) so I can try both them and the round ones (if they fit) when they arrive and let you guys know which works best to my ears.

Thank you!

That would be a great help!!

Jun 12, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #2,418 of 7,715
My pair is coming and it seems to have the first smaller pads... But the price was so good I can resist.

I dont have very large ears so I think it will not be a problem, but I have a question:

Do the sound change in any aspect between the smaller and bigger pads?

If Mezeteam or anyone who has both can confirm that It will be nice.

Jun 12, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #2,419 of 7,715
Jun 12, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #2,421 of 7,715
I have both, and prefer the newer (larger) ones tbh.

Jun 12, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #2,422 of 7,715
Wow!!! So in terms of sound the smaller ones are a little better!!!

In that case, If in my ears fits ok (I think so) I can no longer worry about that.

Any users report the same? Any of you prefer the old pads?

If they are comfortable for you, you should be totally fine!

I actually have larger ears, so I need the big pads. If you need the new pads, they can be bought directly from Meze and they have a very good price as well!

Jun 12, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #2,423 of 7,715
Time for an update on my side. I have experimented with the pads on my Meze 99C; first trying the ZMF Ori pads and later on the Brainwavz HM5 non-angled sheepskin pads.

Now, I absolutely fell in love with my Meze 99C, so much that, when I had the chance to try out nearly every high-end headphone there is (TH-900, HD 800, LCD-2-4+X and more), I did not feel the need to upgrade since there was not a whole lot to upgrade when it came to a musical listening experience. I enjoyed the high-end headphones a lot, but they did not make me want to listen to my music and start dancing/singing on the spot. Thus, I stayed with my Meze and decided to upgrade the only thing about them that slightly annoyed me: the stock pads that were simply too small for my ears and pressured them so much that they immensely hurt after 2-3 hours of listening.

The time Massdrop offered a special sale for the ZMF Ori pads I quickly ordered a pair to try them on my Meze and I was stunned to what extend they changed the sound; surprisingly, not in a bad way. While bloating the bass and sharpening the highs, they created an amazing soundstage that was quite addicting to say the least. I managed to (almost completely) fix the low-end and highs fairly quickly - thanks to the great EQ response of these cans - and it was like discovering an entirely new headphone. It was exciting and I loved the new sound. BUT getting these pads on was an absolute nightmare and took me nearly an hour; and they were on very loosely so that i was always scared to accidentally pull them off again. They were simply too big for the cans and the frustration to get them on again and again whenever they would fall off, was enough for me to try out another pair of pads.

The Brainwavz HM5 sheepskin leather non-angled (since I realized that the driver is already angled) were my next pick and coming from the insanely large and comfortable Ori pads (that were a true blessing compared to the stock pads), the HM5 pads seemed to have the same problem as the stock pads that while they were bigger and would surround my ears completely, I would still hit the driver with my inner ear (if that makes sense). Fortunately, after some time of wearing them, my fears diminished and I can safely say that I can wear the Meze 99C forever and ever with the HM5 pads. No comfort-issues at all. Plus, they don't seem to change the original sound (now, at least they don't do it in any significant way that I could notice. I am sure that graphs would tell me otherwise). I was not able to compare them directly to the stock pads by switching them repeatedly, simply cause I could not - for the love of comfort - go back to the small stockpads (and yes, I have already had the biggest version out there).

I have been using the HM5 pads ever since I to be completely honest, I can only recommend everyone to try them out if(!) you have comfort issues with the stock pads during longer listening sessions. To me, these pads are absolutely a imperative update (to my eyes, the headphone even looks better with these bigger pads on them).

Jun 12, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #2,424 of 7,715
Time for an update on my side. I have experimented with the pads on my Meze 99C; first trying the ZMF Ori pads and later on the Brainwavz HM5 non-angled sheepskin pads.

Now, I absolutely fell in love with my Meze 99C, so much that, when I had the chance to try out nearly every high-end headphone there is (TH-900, HD 800, LCD-2-4+X and more), I did not feel the need to upgrade since there was not a whole lot to upgrade when it came to a musical listening experience. I enjoyed the high-end headphones a lot, but they did not make me want to listen to my music and start dancing/singing on the spot. Thus, I stayed with my Meze and decided to upgrade the only thing about them that slightly annoyed me: the stock pads that were simply too small for my ears and pressured them so much that they immensely hurt after 2-3 hours of listening.

The time Massdrop offered a special sale for the ZMF Ori pads I quickly ordered a pair to try them on my Meze and I was stunned to what extend they changed the sound; surprisingly, not in a bad way. While bloating the bass and sharpening the highs, they created an amazing soundstage that was quite addicting to say the least. I managed to (almost completely) fix the low-end and highs fairly quickly - thanks to the great EQ response of these cans - and it was like discovering an entirely new headphone. It was exciting and I loved the new sound. BUT getting these pads on was an absolute nightmare and took me nearly an hour; and they were on very loosely so that i was always scared to accidentally pull them off again. They were simply too big for the cans and the frustration to get them on again and again whenever they would fall off, was enough for me to try out another pair of pads.

The Brainwavz HM5 sheepskin leather non-angled (since I realized that the driver is already angled) were my next pick and coming from the insanely large and comfortable Ori pads (that were a true blessing compared to the stock pads), the HM5 pads seemed to have the same problem as the stock pads that while they were bigger and would surround my ears completely, I would still hit the driver with my inner ear (if that makes sense). Fortunately, after some time of wearing them, my fears diminished and I can safely say that I can wear the Meze 99C forever and ever with the HM5 pads. No comfort-issues at all. Plus, they don't seem to change the original sound (now, at least they don't do it in any significant way that I could notice. I am sure that graphs would tell me otherwise). I was not able to compare them directly to the stock pads by switching them repeatedly, simply cause I could not - for the love of comfort - go back to the small stockpads (and yes, I have already had the biggest version out there).

I have been using the HM5 pads ever since I to be completely honest, I can only recommend everyone to try them out if(!) you have comfort issues with the stock pads during longer listening sessions. To me, these pads are absolutely a imperative update (to my eyes, the headphone even looks better with these bigger pads on them).

Super cool!

Thank you for letting us know!

I should get a pair of HM5 sheepskin soon then! Cannot wait to try them on Meze 99 Classics!

Also, I do agree, especially after EQ, 99C becomes a high-end headphone by itself!

Jun 12, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #2,425 of 7,715
Hi all Meze connoisseurs,

I do not get to post too much now days as would like but thought I would share a good stella amp that goes very well with the 99 Classics that I was lucky enough to review if anyone is looking for an amp to go with their Classics at the moment.
Also tried it with the Classic 12's also if anyone also has them ; )

https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/...eadphone-amplifier.22450/reviews#review-18729

Jun 12, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #2,426 of 7,715
Hi @Murmel ,

Some photos please of your Meze 99c with the HM5 leather cups please if you have!

To @MezeTeam any plans in store for actual leather as upgrade accessories (purchase on the side) for Meze 99c ear cups? (Or have I missed this discussion somewhere?)

I have been using the HM5 pads ever since I to be completely honest, I can only recommend everyone to try them out

Jun 13, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #2,427 of 7,715
Hi all Meze connoisseurs,

I do not get to post too much now days as would like but thought I would share a good stella amp that goes very well with the 99 Classics that I was lucky enough to review if anyone is looking for an amp to go with their Classics at the moment.
Also tried it with the Classic 12's also if anyone also has them ; )

https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/...eadphone-amplifier.22450/reviews#review-18729

That is a very informative review! Thank you!

I'm glad that I found happiness with iDSD BL + 99 Classics and now I don't search for a DAC/AMP anymore since iDSD BL can actually drive anything, from 99 Classics to 11 Neo, all the way to LCD-X. Quite an agile device iDSD BL is!

Jun 13, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #2,428 of 7,715
Just ordered the HM5 pads and they should be here in a few days.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #2,429 of 7,715
After so many enthusiastic reviews of the 99 Classics, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a pair. The Romanian postal service is quite impressive as they got them to me quicker than a letter from across town. :) I am extremely pleased with them, while my previous headphone were only Sen 558 the 99's are a dramatic improvement on all levels. Mine came with the large pads which fit my ears great and they are very comfortable to wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back