Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jun 13, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #2,431 of 7,715
I also received my pair today. Large pads too.

The first impressions are good but I need more time to get used to this kind of sound (all my other headphones are more in the analytic side and this headphone it´s totally the oposite).

But I´m very pleased with the purchase and I will enjoy a lot this kind of sound.

Jun 13, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #2,432 of 7,715
Sorry for the repost... ¿Is this true?

"I actually had two pairs of the 99 classics side by side for a few days. One with the old pads and one with the new. The difference using the new pads was like listening to the 99 classics through a wall. The bass easily overwhelmed the other frequencies with the treble struggling to get through. If you read reviews on the head-fi forums you'll notice the reviews start to tank after the new pads were made standard. The recent reviewers can't understand why these are so popular. I hope Meze takes note of this review and reverts back to using the old pads as standard. They can sell the larger pads separately for people who don't mind sacrificing fidelity for some additional comfort." User from Innerfidelity called jdnyc614

I really want to try the smaller pads. Do you think maybe Meze can send me a pair for a regular pad price (20 euros)?

Jun 13, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #2,433 of 7,715
Just ordered the HM5 pads and they should be here in a few days.

Nice!

please let us know how they look and how they work out! Photos if you can!

After so many enthusiastic reviews of the 99 Classics, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a pair. The Romanian postal service is quite impressive as they got them to me quicker than a letter from across town. :) I am extremely pleased with them, while my previous headphone were only Sen 558 the 99's are a dramatic improvement on all levels. Mine came with the large pads which fit my ears great and they are very comfortable to wear.

Glad to hear that there are more Romanians around who are enjoying 99 Classics!!

Sorry for the repost... ¿Is this true?

"I actually had two pairs of the 99 classics side by side for a few days. One with the old pads and one with the new. The difference using the new pads was like listening to the 99 classics through a wall. The bass easily overwhelmed the other frequencies with the treble struggling to get through. If you read reviews on the head-fi forums you'll notice the reviews start to tank after the new pads were made standard. The recent reviewers can't understand why these are so popular. I hope Meze takes note of this review and reverts back to using the old pads as standard. They can sell the larger pads separately for people who don't mind sacrificing fidelity for some additional comfort." User from Innerfidelity called jdnyc614

I really want to try the smaller pads. Do you think maybe Meze can send me a pair for a regular pad price (20 euros)?

I read that as well, but I found it to be false, I love the sound of 99 Classics when using the large pads, I would actually go with even larger pads like HM5 since my ears are pretty big. Meze should be able to get you a set of small pads, I think. You should contact them and see if they still have pairs of small pads.

Jun 14, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #2,434 of 7,715
The Meze team wrote me this:

"Thank you for contacting us.
Medium ear pads will be available for purchase in the future on our website.
We don't have any stock on the medium pads available now."

I love the sound but if the medium (smaller?) pads can control a bit the midbass I really want to try it.

Jun 15, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #2,436 of 7,715
Just bought a pair of the 99C's from Music Direct, so I assume they have the larger pads?

WOW, what a terrific headphone! I am loving these so much! No complaints or nit picks from me so far- none, zero, zip, nada, especially given the low price. Even if they cost $600 I would not have been disappointed. So much damn fun!

I read almost every review and I am definitely in the camp that are blown away by the 99C. Headphones are so personal to each listener, so you can never be certain if you will like something unless you try it yourself.

Music Direct has a 60-day return policy but there is zero chance these going back. They even sound great straight from my iphone, which is important for me as they will be my portable/travel cans, but even from the home rig, I don't find myself thinking "this would sound so much better on my HD800's".

I'd still take my HD800's over these for sure, but that is not the point.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #2,437 of 7,715
Just bought a pair of the 99C's from Music Direct, so I assume they have the larger pads?

WOW, what a terrific headphone! I am loving these so much! No complaints or nit picks from me so far- none, zero, zip, nada, especially given the low price. Even if they cost $600 I would not have been disappointed. So much damn fun!

I read almost every review and I am definitely in the camp that are blown away by the 99C. Headphones are so personal to each listener, so you can never be certain if you will like something unless you try it yourself.

Music Direct has a 60-day return policy but there is zero chance these going back. They even sound great straight from my iphone, which is important for me as they will be my portable/travel cans, but even from the home rig, I don't find myself thinking "this would sound so much better on my HD800's".

I'd still take my HD800's over these for sure, but that is not the point. Honestly, if these could be my only headphones, I'd be happy with that.

Woah, it is nice when you see someone so happy with a headphone!

I was also shocked at how good 99C sounds when I got them.

Seems that a lot of people are in love with Meze 99 Neo as well lately! I'm really curious what else Meze comes up with next!

Jun 16, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #2,439 of 7,715
Got the HM5 pads and i got to say it just doesn't stand up to the bass performance of the meze pads. Otherwise a very very comfortable fit.

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #2,441 of 7,715
Got the HM5 pads and i got to say it just doesn't stand up to the bass performance of the meze pads. Otherwise a very very comfortable fit.

Pictures your Meze with HM5 pls if you have... wonder how they fit...

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #2,442 of 7,715
:D well I just gotta wait for my replacement cable for my Meze99C. I haven't used them since last Summer ever since I used IEMs since then.

But I will be joining you all when they arrive. :xf_eek: I got to test them on my new DAP.

What new DAP did you get?

Pictures your Meze with HM5 pls if you have... wonder how they fit...

i will most certainly. Just give me a few days :)

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #2,444 of 7,715
Aune M1S. I really love it's sound tuning.
With Meze99c I'm sure more fun will be pumped in.

But it's very minimalist player. Not even album art is supported which I don't mind.

Ooh then you can probably get the balanced cable from Meze for the 99c

Users who are viewing this thread

Back