Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Mar 23, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #1,997 of 7,715
I was going to ask the same question

Mar 23, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #1,999 of 7,715
I think that everyone is talking the large / deeper pads - and I agree , the sound I heard is with the large pads . Lovely sound and comfort is good. While my ears are a bit big and I might need pads that are even bigger, the large pads cause me no discomfort , and all it takes is 10 seconds of adjusting.

You can generally buy the large pads from meze directly as far as j know

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #2,003 of 7,715
Mine arrived today. Absolutely amazing. Comfortable and the sound is just wow. Best headphones I've ever had. Oh and they look stunning

Mar 23, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #2,005 of 7,715
Even my wife thinks they look and sound amazing. Hmm what to listen to tomorrow at work...

Mar 23, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #2,006 of 7,715
Those headphones really do turn some heads around whenever I take them outside .

And that funny because I take them Everytime I go outside
wink.gif

You should see the stares I get when wearing the TH-X00 or the Nightowls :)

Mar 24, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #2,007 of 7,715
My Classics are in good company, would you agree? From left, TH-X00, PM-3, Meze 99 Classic and Audioquest Nightowl. In the mid section Flare R2PRO, VE Monks, silver Lavri cable for PM-3, Peterek balanced cable PM-3. Rack from Ikea, $20, foam pipe insulation for a further $10. Love my new rack and looks like I've got some room on it, too. Saving for Ether C Flow...
2f5edd03b63d5379b784e1947c1cf6e4.jpg

Mar 24, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #2,008 of 7,715
My Classics are in good company, would you agree? From left, TH-X00, PM-3, Meze 99 Classic and Audioquest Nightowl. In the mid section Flare R2PRO, VE Monks, silver Lavri cable for PM-3, Peterek balanced cable PM-3. Rack from Ikea, $20, foam pipe insulation for a further $10. Love my new rack and looks like I've got some room on it, too. Saving for Ether C Flow...
2f5edd03b63d5379b784e1947c1cf6e4.jpg

Very cool!

Mar 24, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #2,010 of 7,715
Hey folks, got some updated impressions with the larger pads. I swapped out the pads for the originals to get a better gauge on the differences and there is a slight revision to make. Firstly, everything I said about the larger pads still holds true but I need to add that the change I hear is " subtle but noticeable ". In regards to headphones, it's akin to "not all" when talking about hot social political issues; Something I always assume from others but one never knows what the recipient is thinking.

Anyway, now that that is out of the way, I do have to make an adjustment/correction to my impressions, and that would be in regards to the bass. I do find the mid-bass to be more controlled, more solid, however my sub-bass impressions needs an adjustment. Sub-bass weight and rumble actually is waaaaaaay up from the stock pads. When I was putting the new pads through my series of tests, I never actually took the time to chill and listen to my random playlist. In other words, test tracks be damned as real world listening (as it were) gave me a better grasp on how the sub-bass was performing, and it actually got a huge boost! The larger pads brings the sub-bass curve to the levels of the Momentums', which is fantastic! But some may not like the change. While I do enjoy the extra rumble and weight, it did take some time to adjust. My brain has already accepted the extra air, but still is coping with the bass boost. Don't get me wrong, it's not as if the sub-bass is trampling the mid-bass and lower mids, nor is it drowning out or muddying the sound, but it is quite a bit stronger.

Another change I found is that my ears do not distort when playing at higher volume! I normally keep the setting around -22 dB (give or take a few dB because of DR differences), anything higher and my ears say "No way!", which is why I am not too partial to IEMs because they all distort my ears! However, the larger pads allow me to significantly boost the volume by a good 5-6 dB before my ears give me the "finger" and decide to go home! I am figuring that the extra air is responsible for keeping the sound under control. This is also why I figure I hear added transparency and smoothness. Perhaps the sound with the stock pads didn't have enough time to fully resonate before it reached my ears/skull due to lack of space? I duno, I ain't no engineer!

All in all, I am loving the new pads. I am sure after many many hours of break-in that the sound will change again (as it does with any pads), probably bringing down the level of the sub-bass. I suppose only time will tell! Obviously I will report back on this topic when I feel it's warranted. 

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back