Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #1,966 of 7,680
So here we are just over a week in.  I reckon I'm just past the 40 hour burn in point and I can speak more clearly about my impressions of the 99C's.  The bass seems to be getting better as time goes on.  Listening to "Forgotten places" by Alif Tree there is a pronounced double bass line which sounds wonderfully fluid and tactile without being boomy.  This track would highlight bass inadequacies quite clearly and I'm happy that the drivers in the 99C's are subtly changing for the better.  The bass has P.R.A.T. whilst remaining warm.  The treble seems to have smoothed out and become more detailed as well.  These headphones are so easy to listen to and yet they are not "easy listening" in their presentation owing to the vivacity and musical pleasure they convey.  My first week has been immensely satisfying and I'm glad I didn't splurge on the B&W P7 wireless I'd auditioned in a shop the week before.  These headphones are much better than those, although the bluetooth convenience would have been nice.  I'm glad I resisted and trusted myself to go for 99C's.  I would also like to thank the many reviewers on Head-fi and other forums whose opinions and reviews proved so invaluable.  Sometimes it is difficult to audition headphones and one has to go by the sound signatures described by other enthusiasts.  The relative comparisons by certain members about headphones whose sonic signature I know well helps one to get quite an accurate impression of the sound of a particular model and one can make quite informed choices based on those.  I certainly got lucky in my choice with the 99C's. 

Thanks for posting your impressions. Mine have evolved the a more balanced sound, meaning no so bass heavy anymore. I think they still can improve after what is probably around 120 hours. They sound very good. A little more neutrality and bass definition, and i will prefer them to my k701. I am going balanced with them within a week or so, that should also help. There is still a veil that i believe will go away.

Mar 18, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #1,967 of 7,680
Thanks for posting your impressions. Mine have evolved the a more balanced sound, meaning no so bass heavy anymore. I think they still can improve after what is probably around 120 hours. They sound very good. A little more neutrality and bass definition, and i will prefer them to my k701. I am going balanced with them within a week or so, that should also help. There is still a veil that i believe will go away.

​I concur, particularly about the bass. It sounds much more balanced now.
I wouldnt say I was getting used to the sound because i have other headsets I have used a while longer so I can always use that as a reference and the bass on the 99 is certainly improving. Im probably about 15 hours in.

Going balanced? what amp do you have?

Mar 19, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #1,969 of 7,680
I have owned a pair of 99 Classics for some time now, they are fantastic headphones. However, I do have some comfort issues with these headphones, has anyone tried on the Shure SRH1540 pads on these? Would they fit? I have tried on a pair of HM5 pads, but they have a negative effect on the sound because of the distance from the driver and the bass becomes bloated and loose so I went back to the large Meze pads. I am currently having an eye on the Shure SRH1540 pads and they seem to be ideal for 99 Classics, has anyone tested them?

Mar 19, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #1,970 of 7,680
I have owned a pair of 99 Classics for some time now, they are fantastic headphones. However, I do have some comfort issues with these headphones, has anyone tried on the Shure SRH1540 pads on these? Would they fit? I have tried on a pair of HM5 pads, but they have a negative effect on the sound because of the distance from the driver and the bass becomes bloated and loose so I went back to the large Meze pads. I am currently having an eye on the Shure SRH1540 pads and they seem to be ideal for 99 Classics, has anyone tested them?

Do you have the larger Meze pads? Those would be my first suggestion.

Mar 19, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #1,971 of 7,680
I do have the larger pads, they certainly are an improvement over the stock pads they came with originally. However after a few hours of use they become extremely uncomfortable and start hurting my ears after a while, I am now looking for a new solution in terms of comfort and after looking around the SRH 1540 earpads seem to be ideal with similar shallowness as the Meze pads so I would assume the sacrifice in sound quality would be minimal.
They are quite pricey however so I would like to hear some feedback from someone that has tested them on their pair of 99 Classics before pulling the trigger on them.

Mar 19, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #1,972 of 7,680
  I do have the larger pads, they certainly are an improvement over the stock pads they came with originally. However after a few hours of use they become extremely uncomfortable and start hurting my ears after a while, I am now looking for a new solution in terms of comfort and after looking around the SRH 1540 earpads seem to be ideal with similar shallowness as the Meze pads so I would assume the sacrifice in sound quality would be minimal.
They are quite pricey however so I would like to hear some feedback from someone that has tested them on their pair of 99 Classics before pulling the trigger on them.

Aren't SRH 1540 pads made out of a hybrid / velour material?

It is going to change the sound massively and I cannot say if for the better since you will lose some bass impact and it will recess the treble. At least this is what most velour / hybrid pads seem to do in my experience. 

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #1,973 of 7,680

Aren't SRH 1540 pads made out of a hybrid / velour material?

It is going to change the sound massively and I cannot say if for the better since you will lose some bass impact and it will recess the treble. At least this is what most velour / hybrid pads seem to do in my experience. 

They're supposed to be made out of alcantara, so I'm not sure what effect that has...it does look like a velour hybrid...I think it's supposed to imitate suede.

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #1,974 of 7,680

They're supposed to be made out of alcantara, so I'm not sure what effect that has...it does look like a velour hybrid...I think it's supposed to imitate suede.

The bass might be less, treble might be less, turning the whole sound mid-centric then. 

They will also shift the mids tonality quite a bit 
biggrin.gif

Curious how it sounds in the end though! 

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #1,975 of 7,680
Hello there!

We know you've been waiting for here. So, without any further ado, here is the Meze 99 Neo pre-launch review tour! 

Registrations are available worldwide, so feel free to join the party, wherever you live.

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Mar 20, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #1,977 of 7,680
I heard Sennheiser He-1 today. 

Walked in the store with 99C, walked out of the store with 99C. 

I listened to over 15 headphones in total, and I was able to walk out of the store happy wearing an EQ'ed pair of 99C. 

The thing is, a well EQ'ed 99C let me leave the store happy and enjoy music even after hearing the mighty orpheus -2 . This should say enough. 99C and ie800 both. 

Mar 21, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #1,979 of 7,680
I am about to buy these headphones today.  Just to check I work in an open plan office within a library, so i need to ensure i dont disturb others.  Do these fit that bill?

Mar 21, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #1,980 of 7,680
  I am about to buy these headphones today.  Just to check I work in an open plan office within a library, so i need to ensure i dont disturb others.  Do these fit that bill?

You will be fine with these. Although they look so good you might turn a few heads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back