Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jan 18, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #1,503 of 7,692
I must add that the meze are very easy to drive and sound enjoyable out of portable sources as well. HD650 although not difficult to drive, does not sound anywhere near its potential with portable gear.

My ears are very sensitive to brightness. I was looking for a portable headphone with a non fatiguing sound. Also, I listen to music for a long time. 

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #1,505 of 7,692
  My ears are very sensitive to brightness. I was looking for a portable headphone with a non fatiguing sound. Also, I listen to music for a long time. 

The Meze are anything but bright. The lower treble is even darker than the HD650. Upper treble has some sparkle but not bright at all. It's the lack of HD650 like resolution that might make searching for details a fatiguing task.

Jan 18, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #1,507 of 7,692
Ordered the Walnut and silver last night, and it looks like it's already been shipped. I'm impressed with the Meze customer experience so far. Can't wait to try them out and compare them to the Fostex TH-610 (which should arrive tomorrow).

Jan 18, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #1,508 of 7,692
Ordered the Walnut and silver last night, and it looks like it's already been shipped. I'm impressed with the Meze customer experience so far. Can't wait to try them out and compare them to the Fostex TH-610 (which should arrive tomorrow).

Welcome to the club and hope you enjoy them as much as I am mine.

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #1,509 of 7,692
  The Meze are anything but bright. The lower treble is even darker than the HD650. Upper treble has some sparkle but not bright at all. It's the lack of HD650 like resolution that might make searching for details a fatiguing task.

​I don't get any sense of fatigue the way you describe it.  However, the sound is so "big" with the Meze that I can see how someone might not like using it for extended sessions.  So, in my book, the tonality is very good (even if a bit too warm).  The sound is just "large"...less like normal headphones and more like big speakers very close to you.  I think it's very engaging, fun, and great for feeling the music.  If you want analytical monitors it won't be for you. 

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #1,512 of 7,692
​I don't get any sense of fatigue the way you describe it.  However, the sound is so "big" with the Meze that I can see how someone might not like using it for extended sessions.  So, in my book, the tonality is very good (even if a bit too warm).  The sound is just "large"...less like normal headphones and more like big speakers very close to you.  I think it's very engaging, fun, and great for feeling the music.  If you want analytical monitors it won't be for you. 

I agree.

I am sensitive to exaggerated treble. It will grate on me. The Meze 99 Classics do not. They have treble that is good and present, but never dominating or shrill. And the bass and mids are so rich, the overall rendering remains on the warm side, which is where my heart lives.

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #1,513 of 7,692
I agree.

I am sensitive to exaggerated treble. It will grate on me. The Meze 99 Classics do not. They have treble that is good and present, but never dominating or shrill. And the bass and mids are so rich, the overall rendering remains on the warm side, which is where my heart lives.

How would you compare them against your desktop headphones? 

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #1,515 of 7,692
How would you compare them against your desktop headphones? 

Detailed comparisons are reserved for my Head Gear reviews. :wink:

However...

Let me state upfront that closed-back headphones don't really compare to open-back. Open-backs have a way of always sounding better, more natural and spacious. The HD650 (or my HD6XX) is superb even among its design brethren.

Of course, there are situations where closed-back are needed. Many, many situations where the isolation is a necessity.

The Meze is not the HD650. Not only is it closed-back, and therefore doesn't belong in a comparison, but it's also a super high efficient "mobile headphone". These types of headphones tend to lack some of that weight you find with a beefier set of cans that hunger for a desktop amp just to sound right.

That said, the Meze has more note weight than I expected, coming from the Momentum 2.0. It has just a tiny bit more treble than the HD650, making the vocals sound less lush, but utterly clear. Not the aggressive detail clear that bright headphones create. Rather the smooth, rich clear that comes from a marvelous balance of tremendous bass, quantity and quality, and clean, revealing highs. The vocals just sit there benefiting from the wealth on both ends, giving them something special that's hard to describe.

It's easier to describe the HD650's vocals. They are lush. That's the word everyone uses, and it suits them. The 99 Classics are more nebulous, but just as remarkable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back