Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Sep 15, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #841 of 7,715
  I was contacted by Meze yesterday regarding shipping out the new pads to those on the waiting list - apparently they are ready to go now.
Really looking forward to seeing how these compare to the original smaller pads.

Yes I received an email also.... well happy

Sep 22, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #843 of 7,715
My ear pads have just arrived in the post. Just tried them out with an iPhone/Dragonfly black and Tidal HiFi portable set up. The sound doesn't appear to be a significant change (but I need a longer listen). The one improvement is that I can listen more comfortably with the new ear pads while still wearing my new glasses. Now back to music..................................

Sep 22, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #844 of 7,715
:D hope everyone enjoys their large pads.

:xf_eek: I'm listening to these in-class during lunchtime with eyes closed trying to relax. I thought I was in a concert lol.
There are moments where I get up and look around me wondering where some of the chorus or instrumental sounds came from until I realized it's coming from headphone. XD

Sep 22, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #845 of 7,715
Got my new pads too.
At their widest point they are 60mm vs 55mm for my originals and they are 25mm deep vs 18mm for originals.
They have a similar style and feel but on closer inspection the foam that covers the driver is thinner on the new pads, presumably as part of the tuning to ensure that the sound isn't changed too much by the new pad dimensions. It seems to work well as the 99's still sound superb with the new pads.
The differences are significant for comfort - much improved with much lighter ear to driver contact.
Great work Meze and fantastic customer service in sending these out to early buyers.

Sep 24, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #847 of 7,715
I am torn between trying the Meze or the KEF M500 as my closed portable headphone. I know the KEF is on ear but I hear they are very comfortable. The KEF and Meze both seem to have great looks and build quality and are essentially same price.

Anybody with experience using both and can offer comparison?

Sep 24, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #848 of 7,715
I am torn between trying the Meze or the KEF M500 as my closed portable headphone. I know the KEF is on ear but I hear they are very comfortable. The KEF and Meze both seem to have great looks and build quality and are essentially same price.

Anybody with experience using both and can offer comparison?

I have both. The M500 are extremely comfortable, far more than any on-ear I've tried. Both offer an engaging sound, with a little warmth and a bit of bass emphasis, but not overdone. If space/portability is a big priority, the M500 is a far more compact package as they fold up. I'm listening more to the Meze at the moment, but I'm not planning on parting with my M500s any time soon. I really do think they're both outstanding phones.

Sep 26, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #850 of 7,715
To those with the new pads - do your ears touch the driver? When I tried these headphones at a retail store a little while ago (with the older pads) the drivers touched my ears which I did not like. That is the reason I did not buy them (similar to the V-Moda M100 - great sound but irritated by proximity of driver to ear, i.e., touching). Has this been resolved or do they still touch?

Sep 26, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #851 of 7,715
In my review of the Meze 99 Classics I noted that the bass would get sloppy and monotone at sub bass levels. 

The other day I switched pads. I threw a pair of ZMF protein pads on the 99 Classics and wow, it made a big difference. Not only does the bass tighten up, they fit better too. 

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #852 of 7,715
Metal Jesus just did a mini-review of the 99 Classics. 

Skip to 9:50.

beerchug.gif

Sep 29, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #855 of 7,715
:D hope everyone enjoys their large pads.

:xf_eek: I'm listening to these in-class during lunchtime with eyes closed trying to relax. I thought I was in a concert lol.
There are moments where I get up and look around me wondering where some of the chorus or instrumental sounds came from until I realized it's coming from headphone. XD

I noticed your post in the Beyerdynamic T51i. I love the sound of them but not a fan of on ear. Would the Meze have a similar sound signature? The bass on the T51i is really good but there was still stunning clarity especially for a closed headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back