Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
May 16, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #541 of 7,695
guys, I received my Meze 99 Classics and while waiting for my headphones amp I connected it to my Galazy S6 with Deezer Premium (not FLAC). With every song I head hiss, is it normal because of cheap Galaxy amp or Deezer?

May 16, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #542 of 7,695
I find many of the Samsung phones have a hiss with certain headphones and earphones, it is one of the reasons I have bought LG Gx phones instead.

May 17, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #546 of 7,695
  guys, I received my Meze 99 Classics and while waiting for my headphones amp I connected it to my Galazy S6 with Deezer Premium (not FLAC). With every song I head hiss, is it normal because of cheap Galaxy amp or Deezer?

The Meze 99 Classics are sensitive headphones, so it could be that you're indeed hearing the amp's hiss.

To be sure whether it's his on the recording/Deezer or caused by the Samsung's amp, you should create an empty audio file (you can use Audacity for that), transfer it to your phone and play it back. If you are experiencing hiss again, it's the amplifier. If there is no hiss this time, it's Deezer/the recording.

May 17, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #547 of 7,695
Just got my 99 Classics today and am very impressed!

No need for yet another review (sound awesome, pads less so) - let's get straight on to pad rolling...

Alpha Pads

No really, they do fit :)

So sorry to @MezeTeam for making your beautiful headphones look like this:

They are very easy to fit and while a little loose they will stay in place well enough to be usable.
Comfort is fantastic - way way better than the stock pads.
Sadly the sound is compromised too far for them to be viable.  Bass is increased a little too far and most of the energy ("fun"?) in their stock signature has disappeared.

Brainwavz HM5 Pleather pads

This pad I believe.  Not memory foam and not hybrid velours:

They aren't very easy to fit but will also stay in place well enough to be usable.
Comfort is a great improvement on the stock pads but falls some way short of the Alpha Pads.
The sound signature is definitely affected by these too, predictably falling somewhere between the stock pads and Alphas.  They are certainly listenable using the HM5 pads but I have decided to go with the discomfort of the stock pads as they just sound so good.

FWIW, while the stock pads come off easily, they are quite hard work to get back on - I wouldn't want to do this too often unless Meze start selling spares.

As with many on this thread, I am really keen to be able to order the Meze approved larger pads as soon as possible!

May 17, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #548 of 7,695

The Meze 99 Classics are sensitive headphones, so it could be that you're indeed hearing the amp's hiss.

To be sure whether it's his on the recording/Deezer or caused by the Samsung's amp, you should create an empty audio file (you can use Audacity for that), transfer it to your phone and play it back. If you are experiencing hiss again, it's the amplifier. If there is no hiss this time, it's Deezer/the recording.

Thank you for good advice. I will do so

May 18, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #549 of 7,695
Hey guys,

As you probably know already, we were part of the exhibitors at the High End Show in Munich. We got together with Jude and many other business insiders who were either exhibiting or reporting about the show. 

Thanks to @Andykong from Cayin for the collaboration.

Check out the thread Cayin started over here. You will see some familiar cans in the pics 
beyersmile.png

http://www.head-fi.org/t/802382/cayin-i5-lossless-android-dap-with-akm4490-dac-supporting-32-384-pcm-64-128-dsd/210#post_12589116

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
May 18, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #551 of 7,695
  2 option: my Meze 99 are defected or Galaxy S6 is weaker than Galaxy Note 5

I'm more inclined to think it's a problem with the Samsung than with Meze. I've never been impressed with the quality of Samsung's stuff, but that's just me. At least, the build quality has not impressed me. Meze, on the other hand, is superb.

Just got my 99 Classics today and am very impressed!

No need for yet another review (sound awesome, pads less so) - let's get straight on to pad rolling...

Alpha Pads

No really, they do fit :)

So sorry to @MezeTeam for making your beautiful headphones look like this:

They are very easy to fit and while a little loose they will stay in place well enough to be usable.
Comfort is fantastic - way way better than the stock pads.
Sadly the sound is compromised too far for them to be viable.  Bass is increased a little too far and most of the energy ("fun"?) in their stock signature has disappeared.

Brainwavz HM5 Pleather pads

This pad I believe.  Not memory foam and not hybrid velours:

They aren't very easy to fit but will also stay in place well enough to be usable.
Comfort is a great improvement on the stock pads but falls some way short of the Alpha Pads.
The sound signature is definitely affected by these too, predictably falling somewhere between the stock pads and Alphas.  They are certainly listenable using the HM5 pads but I have decided to go with the discomfort of the stock pads as they just sound so good.

FWIW, while the stock pads come off easily, they are quite hard work to get back on - I wouldn't want to do this too often unless Meze start selling spares.

As with many on this thread, I am really keen to be able to order the Meze approved larger pads as soon as possible!

The first thing that sprang to my mind was Esqueleto, from Nacho Libre: "I look heedeeyoos". I'm sure they sound good though. :D

May 18, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #552 of 7,695
  Well for the sake of science (and insatiable curiosity), I went ahead and ordered a pair of these pads:

http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Hybrid-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZGGG3KY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463286912&sr=8-1&keywords=brainwavz+pads

These are the hybrid version of the Brainwavz leather pads with velour lining and a pleather ring inside. 

I'm a bit short on time and before I do a full review of this AMAZING headset I'm going to give you a little short list on observations:

- YES! They fit without an issue. They don't even shift around!
- They give generous amounts of room for the sound to play around in between your ears and the drivers
- The pads are twice the depth of the stock pads. 
- Further away from the driver means you get more "sound stage" while sacrificing some of the midrange. 
- At least the midrange is still there - clear and present unlike the Beyer pads I tried. It just took a back seat.
- You need some foam filters inside the pads or else the treble takes a sharp turn up - almost piercing! 

We all love the balance of the lows, mids, and highs. It seems that the pads do actually do a LOT to make the sound that makes these headphones great. Midrange sounds best to me when the ear is closer to the driver. I'll try to report back in about two days after I've flattened the pads a bit. Yes...you read that right. I'm going to attempt to flatten these suckers down and see what that does.

Just fitted a set of the same pads and have exactly the same comments as you . I have fitted over earcups until I find some suitable inner ear foam filters as treble is a little bright on some music. But so much more comfortable to wear and music quality is really not diminished significantly in any register apart from a little brighter lit treble. Just listening to a Sacd rip of Hotel California  excellent!!!

May 19, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #553 of 7,695
  I'm more inclined to think it's a problem with the Samsung than with Meze. I've never been impressed with the quality of Samsung's stuff, but that's just me. At least, the build quality has not impressed me. Meze, on the other hand, is superb.

Hi, I also think like this about Samsung, the phone is BS itself, if bluetooth connected then its drain battery in 3 hours otherwise 10 hours without any big usage.
I will wait for my OPPO HA-2 arrival  and then decide if Meze 99 Classic were not defected. Otherwise I need to contact their reparation department.

May 19, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #554 of 7,695
  Hi, I also think like this about Samsung, the phone is BS itself, if bluetooth connected then its drain battery in 3 hours otherwise 10 hours without any big usage.
I will wait for my OPPO HA-2 arrival  and then decide if Meze 99 Classic were not defected. Otherwise I need to contact their reparation department.

Haven't you got anything else to plug them into in order to test them ?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back