Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Oct 4, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #7,501 of 7,703
Hi guys I am in search for a good dynamic headphone and was wondering about these. Are the Classic and Neo the same besides the impendance and wood(26ohm vs 32ohm)?
Grins (@OCC7N -with all due respect, too!:wink:
This is a hobby site dedicated to everything headphonery...
Here, the direction that ones' cable faces whilst Venus transits something-or-other'mars retrograde' blah blah blah-bla..
Here the most 'subtle' of differences are massive (and people will DIE defending their free speech saying so)..

Yes - the Meze 99 are 'not hype train' headphones; they DO have 'something special' going on with regards to their build/tuning; they hit the Meze 'house sound' (something reviewers can identify, means that 'this is no "accident"!'), and I have read enough reviews talking about how ridiculously clever the Meze tuning proves to be.

Whatever tricks or ideology is employed/'held in mind' whilst new Meze 'cans are designed and built, are 'a thing' and 'very worthwhile'.

I have owned A LOT of headphones (mostly closed back over ears type/style), and the Meze 99 are KEEPERS.

On my journey towards 'perfection' the Meze99 showed me that 'turning up' and 'getting 90%+' of the job done, is 'the trick'.
The Meze99 seem 'cheap' to me if I factor the cost outlay, the duration of 'stay', and the feel good nature of owning /using such beautiful headphones (they look great too, Drop does a 'black' version of them, very understated).
Their sound quality is a benefit, their tuning worthwhile to keep; but the comfort and ease with which to find oneself under said headphones for many many hours? (priceless)

As someone who burned through a tonne of 'cans over the last couple of years (wanted to 'try' planar tech etc), the Meze99 have been the 'easy keepers' from all those that I came across.
It could be argued that some Sony MDR Z7 are 'upgrades' regarding soundstaging and bass freq, are certainly bigger 'unwieldier' headphones to sit under etc..
The listening hours between those two sets sums it up for me easily (95% plus listening is via the Meze99)

The only closed backs that 'truly' flog them (under my roof) are some Ultrasone Edition 5, which by 'price point' should be a vastly higher tiered piece of kit (much more detail retrieval etc), with comfort that follows.

If I had to choose between two sets of Meze99 or one set of Ultrasone Edition 5, I'd get the two sets of Meze99 and 'share' that sound. (more joy to be had by all)

The Ed 5 has enough detail and imaging prowess that I moved on some Senn HD800 (an open back soundstagers' delight), so saying that the (Ultrasone) Ed 5 smashes the Meze99 on this front isn't really anything special, it is 'fair' based on pricepoints etc.

What the Meze99 achieve/'give' for their 'paultry' outlay is 'a bit of a gift'.
To say I am 'most eager' to (one day) own some of the 'new' Meze 109 (open back) sets is an understatement.

Meze sound tuning is 'a thing', 'very clever', and 'a bit of a bargain'.
Getting comfort right in headphones is assumed, and is never 'a given'.

Whilst I have no say on variations of the 99 family (other than 'know that Dropdotcom sold a 'Noir' version'), to ask in an audio forum 'are they the same'; hopefully we can write a short list highlighting accepted points of contention differentiating between these 'same' sounding model numbers.

(on a hobby site that generally steers people towards 'higher impedance' cans' for "sound quality"!! the interactions between either set and an end users electronics kit is likely to make a difference)

Oct 5, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #7,502 of 7,703
Grins (@OCC7N -with all due respect, too!:wink:
This is a hobby site dedicated to everything headphonery...
Here, the direction that ones' cable faces whilst Venus transits something-or-other'mars retrograde' blah blah blah-bla..
Here the most 'subtle' of differences are massive (and people will DIE defending their free speech saying so)..

Yes - the Meze 99 are 'not hype train' headphones; they DO have 'something special' going on with regards to their build/tuning; they hit the Meze 'house sound' (something reviewers can identify, means that 'this is no "accident"!'), and I have read enough reviews talking about how ridiculously clever the Meze tuning proves to be.

Whatever tricks or ideology is employed/'held in mind' whilst new Meze 'cans are designed and built, are 'a thing' and 'very worthwhile'.

I have owned A LOT of headphones (mostly closed back over ears type/style), and the Meze 99 are KEEPERS.

On my journey towards 'perfection' the Meze99 showed me that 'turning up' and 'getting 90%+' of the job done, is 'the trick'.
The Meze99 seem 'cheap' to me if I factor the cost outlay, the duration of 'stay', and the feel good nature of owning /using such beautiful headphones (they look great too, Drop does a 'black' version of them, very understated).
Their sound quality is a benefit, their tuning worthwhile to keep; but the comfort and ease with which to find oneself under said headphones for many many hours? (priceless)

As someone who burned through a tonne of 'cans over the last couple of years (wanted to 'try' planar tech etc), the Meze99 have been the 'easy keepers' from all those that I came across.
It could be argued that some Sony MDR Z7 are 'upgrades' regarding soundstaging and bass freq, are certainly bigger 'unwieldier' headphones to sit under etc..
The listening hours between those two sets sums it up for me easily (95% plus listening is via the Meze99)

The only closed backs that 'truly' flog them (under my roof) are some Ultrasone Edition 5, which by 'price point' should be a vastly higher tiered piece of kit (much more detail retrieval etc), with comfort that follows.

If I had to choose between two sets of Meze99 or one set of Ultrasone Edition 5, I'd get the two sets of Meze99 and 'share' that sound. (more joy to be had by all)

The Ed 5 has enough detail and imaging prowess that I moved on some Senn HD800 (an open back soundstagers' delight), so saying that the (Ultrasone) Ed 5 smashes the Meze99 on this front isn't really anything special, it is 'fair' based on pricepoints etc.

What the Meze99 achieve/'give' for their 'paultry' outlay is 'a bit of a gift'.
To say I am 'most eager' to (one day) own some of the 'new' Meze 109 (open back) sets is an understatement.

Meze sound tuning is 'a thing', 'very clever', and 'a bit of a bargain'.
Getting comfort right in headphones is assumed, and is never 'a given'.

Whilst I have no say on variations of the 99 family (other than 'know that Dropdotcom sold a 'Noir' version'), to ask in an audio forum 'are they the same'; hopefully we can write a short list highlighting accepted points of contention differentiating between these 'same' sounding model numbers.

(on a hobby site that generally steers people towards 'higher impedance' cans' for "sound quality"!! the interactions between either set and an end users electronics kit is likely to make a difference)
Well, @whitedragem is more honest than most here, and I respect that. Well said. I’m just here to prove everybody’s different. But heck, we’re all different, from the types of music we like to our hearing. I generally prefer more neutral cans. My DCA Ether Cx and Aeon 2 opens are my normal go-to cans. Both are low impedance planars. And are considered to be quite neutral. And those are great for many things.

But sometimes, I like to get a little more laid back and just enjoy. That’s when that Meze sound is what I reach for. It’s way more fun, with a bit more bass, depending on what you use to drive them, but that’s easily tempered with some hardware EQ. And then your toes start tapping…

The 99s are pure, unadulterated fun. There’s a reason they stay on many review sites best lists year after year - they make my music FUN!

Impossible to go wrong dropping money on them unless you have really big ears. The cups are rather small and the pads aren’t that thick. That’s my only criticism. I was listening to them today on my Schiit IE Magni/Modi 3 pair, and that combo was really fun. I have the Massdrop version, should that matter. Regardless, hope you enjoy them AND your music! Welcome to the forums here, and don’t take everything you read as gospel. Pay more attention to what sounds good to you, and won’t break your bank. Cheers!

Oct 13, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #7,503 of 7,703
Been wanting these for a good long time, finally pulled the trigger the other day with Amazon's $248 sale, and just took delivery this morning. Considering there are the occasional listeners that seemed repulsed by how these sound, I was concerned that this headphone was all show and no go, or that it sounded at least quirky. And granted, I've only listened to one song so far for a quick first impression, but it doesn't sound quirky or repulsive at all. Just warm, smooth, pleasant. I'm eager to put this on a tube amp. No idea what the extreme reactions to this headphone are about, because this is not an extreme headphone.

Anyway, yeah, immediate impression, it's comfortable, warm, and pleasant. I will not be returning this and I look forward to getting to know this headphone.

Oct 18, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #7,504 of 7,703
Copy of DSC02574.jpg

Surprise surprise!
📣

Together with our friends from iFi Audio, we've created two limited edition bundles to make your journey through high-end audio easy. The iFi x Meze Audiophile kits are now available in two options:

- The Audiophile Starter Kit
This package combines the 99 Classics in Walnut Silver and the perfectly matched ZEN CAN Signature MZ99 into one special bundle. Sleek and compact, this amplifier is carefully calibrated to complement the 99 Classics.

-The Complete Audiophile Set
This bundle has all the tools you need to recreate a high-end sound experience in your own home. Features the 99 Classics in Walnut Silver with silver-plated upgrade cable, the ZEN CAN Signature MZ99 and the ZEN DAC Signature V2.

So, if you are located in either UK or USA, you can order from here:
The Audiophile Starter Set
The Complete Audiophile Set

Or if you are coming from EU or the rest of the world, your options are here:
The Audiophile Starter Set
The Complete Audiophile Set

Enjoying beautiful sound shouldn’t be complicated, and that’s why we paired up with our friends from iFi Audio to create the special bundles that come with all the equipment you need to enjoy a high-end sound experience in the comfort of your home.

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Oct 19, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #7,505 of 7,703
What was the original price of the Meze 99 when it launched? I thought I remember a $100 Meze 99?

Oct 19, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #7,506 of 7,703
What was the original price of the Meze 99 when it launched? I thought I remember a $100 Meze 99?
EDIT: I was off, price of 99C was always $309. I feel like the Neo was $249 range but seems to be $199 now matching the Noir which is just the Classic with a different shell.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #7,507 of 7,703
I got an excellent set of 99 Classics of off Audiogon for $185. I was immediately struck by how overbearing the bass was. After reading around this site and others, I made some changes. I highly recommend the Brainwavz Micro Suede pads and Meze 99 Series silver cable 4.4mm termination. I got the cable off an open box listing on eBay. I offered $95 and they accepted. With the pads and cable, the Classics are kicked up to a whole other level, the bass taut and deep, not burying the mids, and the highs shimmer nicely. They sound terrific and make me smile.

Nov 6, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #7,508 of 7,703
Wondering what portable DAC's folks like with the 99's?

Ive found the iBasso DC05 to work well, pleasant mid range; lacks the resolution and treble of Chord Mojo
but never gets "shouty" or aggressive as a Mojo can with the 99's.

Have a Cayin RU6 on the way, read good things about the Questyle M15
but was wary that it might behave like a Mojo when used with 99's.

overall the 99's are my go to portable transducer, good isolation, good bass, none of the flaws of bluetooth/ANC distortion and easy
on the battery of an iPhone

Nov 6, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #7,509 of 7,703
Wondering what portable DAC's folks like with the 99's?

Ive found the iBasso DC05 to work well, pleasant mid range; lacks the resolution and treble of Chord Mojo
but never gets "shouty" or aggressive as a Mojo can with the 99's.

Have a Cayin RU6 on the way, read good things about the Questyle M15
but was wary that it might behave like a Mojo when used with 99's.

overall the 99's are my go to portable transducer, good isolation, good bass, none of the flaws of bluetooth/ANC distortion and easy
on the battery of an iPhone
Mojo 2.

M15 was indeed also very good.

You found Mojo OG aggressive, though? Personally I can't think of a more smoother combo than 99 and Mojo OG. Mojo 2 adds some much need precision and dynamics to the presentation.

Nov 6, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #7,510 of 7,703
Mojo 2.

M15 was indeed also very good.

You found Mojo OG aggressive, though? Personally I can't think of a more smoother combo than 99 and Mojo OG. Mojo 2 adds some much need precision and dynamics to the presentation.
Yup. Low bass region seemed to break up , reminded me of some JBL's I used to have long ago. Could be a synergy issue with iPhone as the Mojo didn't do this with
when used with main system and Meze 99's. Source used was Qobuz at 44/16 bits or better. Always possible that the Mojo was pushing bass lower than the Meze 99's could handle

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #7,511 of 7,703
Meze 99 + Qudelix is my travel kit. I like it. Energetic and fun. The Qudelix sounds leaner than my SA-1 amp that I main at home, but the Qudelix app is very good at EQ.

Nov 10, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #7,514 of 7,703
Can anyone compare Meze 99 or Audio-Technica ATH-WP900? Which is better?
Sorry but I can´t believe Meze 99 is released as a headphone. It sounds terrible. I will not get started on the Liric....Even the Elite....my ears must be HifiMAN fanboy I don´t know, Im really trying to find a closed headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back