Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Aug 9, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #7,471 of 7,697
I just checked the up5, I saw that has 240mW on balanced, isn't it low power if you want to listen loud? I saw that all dongles of course has more or less same power. The hiby r6 for example is about 700mW power, how do they compare in SQ.? I mean phone/laptop+up5 Vs hiby.
The 99C is not a headphone hard to drive so you can listen very very loud even with an UP5 or a Ibasso DC01. These are the 2 dongles I used mostly with my 99C

Aug 9, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #7,473 of 7,697
And how they compare to hiby in sound quality? Bcs the price difference is big
The gap with the dongles and the Hiby is not as huge as with my Kennerton headphone. I won't recommand to buy a dap at such price for this headphone only. However, DX160 and 99c were an excellent combo.

I also only speak of balanced listening.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #7,474 of 7,697
I understand, I'm asking that bcs I have an aune x1s desctop amp but I don't like much Vs my fiio x5ii+e12. So try to figure out. Maybe the headphone output isn't so good, bcs as dac with my speakers is very very good. Bass is more punchy tight with my fiio than aune, but I want the best from my headphone

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #7,475 of 7,697
Meze 99 these originally came with large pads and a standard cable - i found them interesting but far too bassy for my taste.

I then purchased the smaller pads and silver 3.5mm upgrade cable both of which improved the sound (imo) to become my goto portable closed headphone which sounds wonderful from my mojo and cayin n3pro (triode).

However the pads wore out (the foam came out) and i decided to try the brainwavz pads (after reading the forums) - these are way more comfortable and (imo) sound spectacular and an improvement on the stock pads.

1. no need for equalisation
2. the bass is now perfect
3. i am hearing both excellent soundstage and details i missed before
4. extremely comfortable

I sourced them from Amazon uk -

Brainwavz Hybrid Memory Foam Earpad - Black PU/Velour​

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwavz-...&sprefix=meze+99+brainwavz+pads,aps,66&sr=8-1

Hope this helps anyone having pad issues.

Aug 16, 2022 at 6:02 AM Post #7,476 of 7,697
I have ordered some Dekoni pads via Addicted to Audio (these are my ‘local’ (Australian) head-fi store).

as the last few posts have mentioned; apparently these are the best to replace to (comfort and close to orig sound sig).
Any feed back from team iFi about the tuning on the Meze ‘tweaked’ Zen Sig..?

(seems like the last four pages are filled with comments confirming ‘bass’ level, and when I read the graph (not on the product on the website -doesn’t have a hyper link that the text is trying to point too..(taken down perhaps?)) the graph made me freak out.. having heard my childs’ Meze99 (briefly) the bass level would not want to be boosted!
Is that graph from a different product (no need to say “we will look into this”; just provide the info when you get it please!)

As noted- replacement pads are worthwhile these have been daily drivers for 30 months.. so natural material Dekonis is justifiable for comfort and quality (and happy to read the sound profile too!).
$100 for a pair.. bro what? 😅

Aug 17, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #7,477 of 7,697
@Lurk650
Good morning, felt you mean the black thing that is under the pads?
1. It gave them only clarity? Change other aspect of the sound? 2. Can be put it back again?

3. Technical support suggest me small pads or BW hybrid, so what's the difference from the sheepskin?

4. And what's the difference between small and standard meze pads , I see 1 and 2mm difference?

Thanks a lot
Yes, clarity in the upper mids. Didn't notice much change else where. You MAY be able to glue back on but I'm not going to bother.

Not sure of difference with SS other than they are thicker, which I prefer since I wear glasses.

Meze pads is the interior ear opening size difference.

Aug 19, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #7,480 of 7,697
with the original small pads the sound become clearer, bass not bleed in mids way better than stocked large, i dont know with others
Thanks. I ordered some Yaxi sTpad2. I had these before for the JVC-SW01, and they did a very good job in tidying up mid-bass bloat. If they don't work on 99, then I'll go for Dekoni Elite Sheepskin.

Aug 19, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #7,481 of 7,697
My M40x's are slowly dying and I'm looking to get a pair of these. Trouble is, nowhere around me has them in stock to give them a test. Wondering if anyone on here has some experience with the M40x and could give me a little comparison. Thanks.

Aug 24, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #7,482 of 7,697
Received a second pair of Meze 99's today, and was therefore able to do a series of A/B's with my wife's pair (both driven below from the Mojo 2/Hiby R3 Pro).

Overall: Meze's silver plated cable is really quite excellent. More or less totally tames the mid-bass bloat found with stock cable (and also Forza cable). Anyone who doubts the validity of cable rolling should try this comparison, ideally on a Mojo 2 where both headphones can be volume matched.

I have also installed Yaxi sTpad2 pads. These are excellent pads, which almost offer a "reference" style of presentation to the 99. I'm actually impressed with how radically the 99 can change their overall tuning. However, I think the Yaxi sTpad2 pads are almost too neutral/linear (even for someone like me who prefers this tuning). I am not yet decided but I will do a final A/B with Dekoni Sheepskin later this week. My hope is that silver cable and these pads will offer a good contrast of clean bass with a slightly elevation in the sub region.

All in all, the Meze 99 are great portable headphones. I have been through most of the recent portable headphones - including the Liric - and to my ears, the 99 offer the best overall sound while also being one of the most comfortable headphones out there.

1110839.jpg

Aug 24, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #7,483 of 7,697
Meze's silver plated cable is really quite excellent. More or less totally tames the mid-bass bloat found with stock cable
I have had the silver cable for some months and agree it is excellent and tames the bass, also i recently fitted brainwavz hybrid pads as the original small meze pads fell apart and these (imo) improve the sound - they now sound good (mojo and asgaard 3) - almost as good as my (modified) hd650 and more portable and closed so no leakage. Overall the perfect portable closed headphones and relatively inexpensive even with the silver cable.

Aug 24, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #7,484 of 7,697
Guys i just order the SPC, the thing im afraid is that technical support told me that the impact is very small in SQ and i read various reviews and your thoughts and im confused but i'll wait, i dont know if the 129euro cable is better that the 50euro one. and if is totally worth the upgrade?

The other thing is i bought Shanling m6 pro (21) and GREAT!!!! :beyersmile: :heart_eyes: upgrade to my old fiio x5ii+fiio e12, even fiio e12 is 880mW and shanling is 260mW with SE, has BETTEEER SQ , better bass, clearer sound, BettER overall performance, so now i'm wait for the silver balance cable.
Till now everything PERFECT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back