Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Dec 15, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #7,351 of 7,695
Hi, I live in Europe and I'm currently looking for new pads for my 99 Classics. :)
I don't want replacement pads from Meze because I don't like how they feel (not thick enough).
I want the new pads to feel nice and also to look nice in my custom cabinet. Sound influence is not important because I'll be re-EQing the headphones anyway.

P2240085.jpg

I'm leaning towards 30mm thick pads (110x90 or 105x85 mm). These two chinese options seem interesting :
Are there other good options, please ?

Any member pics of replacement pads on Meze 99 are welcome, so we can see the final result on your own cans. Thanks !
Brainwavz Hybrid Memory Foam pads work very well with 99 Classics. They're deeper and more plush than stock, which creates better fit. They also help to slightly tame the bloated bass without EQ.

Dec 15, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #7,352 of 7,695
Brainwavz Hybrid Memory Foam pads work very well with 99 Classics. They're deeper and more plush than stock, which creates better fit. They also help to slightly tame the bloated bass without EQ.
Thanks. Yes, Brainwavz is the obvious choice, also for some of my other cans like my Nighthawks. Don't know if I'll get a pair for my 99's though. Maybe.
I'm currently looking for alternatives, hoping to find something pretty and appealing, worthy of the 99's aesthetic.

Dec 15, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #7,353 of 7,695
Thanks. Yes, Brainwavz is the obvious choice, also for some of my other cans like my Nighthawks. Don't know if I'll get a pair for my 99's though. Maybe.
I'm currently looking for alternatives, hoping to find something pretty and appealing, worthy of the 99's aesthetic.
The Brainwavz certainly aren't horrible-looking. Not as svelte as the stock Mezes, but they are about 8 mm deeper, giving them more actual and visible bulk. The trade-off for greater comfort and tamed bass was worth it for me.

Dec 15, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #7,354 of 7,695
I just purchased a used pair of gold Classics in beautiful condition. I had a spare set of the hybrid pads (not memory foam, though) that I used to use with my Audio-Technica M40X's that I've since sold. I concur that it tames the bloated bass without any EQ. Definitely an overall improvement. I read all about the bloat before I bought and was still surprised how bad it was to my ears. The hybrid pads are awesome and super comfy :)

Dec 15, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #7,355 of 7,695
Does anyone know if the Meze's expensive silver cables ever go on sale? I'm in Canada and Amazon wants $169.99 for the 4.4mm version. I'd love to check out how my 99s sound with the upgraded cable but wow that's steep for me. From what I read it sure sounds like upgrading the cable is worth trying, though.

Dec 15, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #7,356 of 7,695
Hi, I live in Europe and I'm currently looking for new pads for my 99 Classics. :)
I don't want replacement pads from Meze because I don't like how they feel (not thick enough).
I want the new pads to feel nice and also to look nice in my custom cabinet. Sound influence is not important because I'll be re-EQing the headphones anyway.

P2240085.jpg

I'm leaning towards 30mm thick pads (110x90 or 105x85 mm). These two chinese options seem interesting :

Any member pics of replacement pads on Meze 99 are welcome, so we can see the final result on your own cans. Thanks !
If you don't want to change the stock sound too much then Dekoni has Pads for Meze 99C.

Dec 15, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #7,357 of 7,695
Does anyone know if the Meze's expensive silver cables ever go on sale? I'm in Canada and Amazon wants $169.99 for the 4.4mm version. I'd love to check out how my 99s sound with the upgraded cable but wow that's steep for me. From what I read it sure sounds like upgrading the cable is worth trying, though.
I've never seen that cable go on sale. If you want to save a few bucks off the top, go for the single ended version. While certainly some electronics sound better through the balanced path, I've never been in a situation with the 99s where I necessarily needed the additional power balanced output provides.

Dec 16, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #7,358 of 7,695
If you don't want to change the stock sound too much then Dekoni has Pads for Meze 99C.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough.
I don't care at all about changing the stock sound. I'll always be able to EQ it afterwards.
Here I only care about comfort (30mm thick) and aesthetics.

Brainwavz and Dekoni are obvious choices that I was well aware of before posting here.
I'm hoping to find alternative solutions aside from the "big brands", hence my two previous suggestions.
Also, I will never pay 80$ for a pair of pads. It's just not worth it. Even less when you think how much they cost to manufacture.
Thanks. :wink:

Dec 16, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #7,359 of 7,695

Yes I have the Dekoni and really love them

Dec 16, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #7,360 of 7,695
I don't care at all about changing the stock sound. I'll always be able to EQ it afterwards.

Brainwavz and Dekoni are obvious choices that I was well aware of before posting here.
I'm hoping to find alternative solutions aside from the "big brands", hence my two previous suggestions.
Also, I will never pay 80$ for a pair of pads. It's just not worth it. Even less when you think how much they cost to manufacture.
Yea, $80 is too much. I'm with you on just using EQ. I have the Loki and Lokius. Lokius does a much better job at taming the 99 Classics bass, but the Loki does help too.

Dec 16, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #7,361 of 7,695

The Brainwavz Hybrid Oval pads are on sale for $15.75 USD. That should fit into your budget.

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/products/headphone-pad-hybrid?_pos=1&_sid=e1c440768&_ss=r

Dec 17, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #7,362 of 7,695
I got the Focal Radiance and haven't used the 99s much since. While the sound signature isn't a perfect match I think it is an improvement in every way. So much great bass with considerably more detail and a bit more soundstage and separation which I think are better than average for a closed back. They are just so much fun. Regularly found used for <$1000. Hope this helps!
Hey mate ! I currently have the Meze 99 Classics as a home loan. Just wanted to try without any intention to buy. But they are quite good actually from a sound perspective (instead of spending €1300 on the Radiance). Cumfort and isolation on the Meze are not the best even with the large earpad (I have large ears :disappointed:).

After having listened to the Elegia (Ok, not enough bass) and the Celestee (Ok+, not enough bass either and not worth the €500 more than Elegias), my eyes were set on the Radiance (still the nice details from Focal + the bass I’m looking for) which I find gorgeous. But with the Meze in the mix now (I would probably go for the Noire though), the choice is more difficult:1) Meze Noire + decent source + balanced cables and in the end potentially not ending far away from spending as much as for the Radiance 2) go for the Radiance (I can’t listen to them before buying as here in the UK, you cant find them anymore. I would have to buy in France next week (my Christmas treet !).

I’m really interested to have your view on the difference between the two. At the moment without a source but directly out of the iPad or computer, I find the Meze a slightly bit too bassy.

I won’t pretend to be an audiophile but I like good sound and I have a bit of cash to treat myself :) Above all, I don’t like recessed or muffled voices like on the Elegia, less so on the Celestee.

Dec 17, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #7,363 of 7,695
I have the Loki and Lokius. Lokius does a much better job at taming the 99 Classics bass, but the Loki does help too.
I have my own Windows software for that, just check my sig :wink:

The Brainwavz Hybrid Oval pads are on sale for $15.75 USD. That should fit into your budget.
I'm hoping to find alternative solutions aside from the "big brands"
Thanks though.

Jan 7, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #7,364 of 7,695
Folks, just a quick announcement that the perfect pairing is here! Introducing the ZEN CAN Signature MZ99 - The perfect product for any Meze lover!

m0.jpg

The Meze Audio 99 Classics & ZEN CAN Signature MZ99 performance is simply magnificent
🎧

ZEN CAN Signature MZ99's ActivEQ mode adjusts the treble for more 'vivaciousness', and enhanced midlow bass extracts the last drop of sonic goodness from the Meze 99 Classics.

m1.jpg

@MezeTeam :beerchug:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 7, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #7,365 of 7,695
Folks, just a quick announcement that the perfect pairing is here! Introducing the ZEN CAN Signature MZ99 - The perfect product for any Meze lover!

m0.jpg

The Meze Audio 99 Classics & ZEN CAN Signature MZ99 performance is simply magnificent
🎧

ZEN CAN Signature MZ99's ActivEQ mode adjusts the treble for more 'vivaciousness', and enhanced midlow bass extracts the last drop of sonic goodness from the Meze 99 Classics.

m1.jpg

@MezeTeam :beerchug:
Well. Whilst I wouldn’t mind giving the MZ99 a listen, I still cannot imagine anyone saying that the 99s are “…bass light…” !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back