Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
May 7, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #6,286 of 7,708
Shopping for a closed back of headphones to use while laying down in bed.

I don't think you will be able to use this one in bed. The top of the headband has two metal bands that are flared out. When you lay down the back metal band will hit whatever you are laying on, and will push the headphones forward/off your ears.

May 8, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #6,289 of 7,708
What do you recommend to equalize the bass of the meze, listening via smartphone and I am totally ignorant in this ... I do not know how to use EQ, as is done via smartphone. Some advice?
What is about the bass that you want to change?

May 8, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #6,291 of 7,708

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200509_030320_com.huawei.imedia.sws.jpg
    Screenshot_20200509_030320_com.huawei.imedia.sws.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 0
May 9, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #6,292 of 7,708
My impression was that bass was fun, but bass overwhelms the sound and mids definition wasn't strong. It would be interesting to do a side by side comparison with AKG K371 that I would think would be more detailed sounding. In terms of looks however, K371 is not sexy. Let's put it that way. But, price it does well.

May 13, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #6,294 of 7,708
My impression was that bass was fun, but bass overwhelms the sound and mids definition wasn't strong. It would be interesting to do a side by side comparison with AKG K371 that I would think would be more detailed sounding. In terms of looks however, K371 is not sexy. Let's put it that way. But, price it does well.
Do yourself a favor and pick up the yaxi stpads 2 . It cleans up and tightens the bass and gives more room for the mids to shine. These are the best mids I've ever heard in any headphone. Just crazy delicious.

I also picked up a meze balanced silver cable that I use with the ibasso dx160 recently. While it does bring out the treble and expands the stage a little more, the mids seem to get reduced and sound less rich/lush compared to the stock cable's sound. Or maybe it's just that the treble presence is heightened and I'm just paying more attention to that. Haven't used the cable for more than 2 hours yet so I'll report back when the sound settles. For now I do prefer the stock cable, but the yaxi pads are a must for the 99 classics. No EQ needed.

May 13, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #6,297 of 7,708
Honestly I found the bass of the meze 99 classics a little too powerful .. I was hoping that with the smaller pads of the noir, you still have enough powerful bass but a more balanced overall sound .. Has anyone made the comparison?

May 13, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #6,298 of 7,708
Honestly I found the bass of the meze 99 classics a little too powerful .. I was hoping that with the smaller pads of the noir, you still have enough powerful bass but a more balanced overall sound .. Has anyone made the comparison?

Yes, Drop published graphs for the Noir with both sets of pads.

May 13, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #6,300 of 7,708
Do yourself a favor and pick up the yaxi stpads 2 . It cleans up and tightens the bass and gives more room for the mids to shine. These are the best mids I've ever heard in any headphone. Just crazy delicious.

For anyone who wants to tame the bass but otherwise loves musicality of the sound signature, this is the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back