Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
May 15, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #6,317 of 7,677
Regarding the last few posts, the Yaxi ST-Pad2's are the best choice if you are looking to clean up the bass response while still keeping the overall sound signature of the 99C's. Most other pads, such as the Brainwavz hybrid, will change the sound signature dramatically. What sounds good is entirely up to your tastes, so what you are looking to change in the sound is important.

The Brainwavs Hybrid will create a thinner (less mids) sound that seems further away. The Brainwavz velour is a more extreme version of that same sound (very thin, far away, and 'canny'). Brainwavz angled leather pads are similar to the 99C's in sound signature, but again much further away and the bass control will become worse due to the pads being further out.

For those getting the ST-Pad2's, you get one added benefit of being able to flip those pads. One side is open velour while the other side is pleather. Which section you have facing forward will change the sound signature dramatically, so if you don't like the way they sound the first time you put them on, try swapping the pads to around to see if you like that sound better instead.

May 15, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #6,318 of 7,677
Regarding the last few posts, the Yaxi ST-Pad2's are the best choice if you are looking to clean up the bass response while still keeping the overall sound signature of the 99C's. Most other pads, such as the Brainwavz hybrid, will change the sound signature dramatically. What sounds good is entirely up to your tastes, so what you are looking to change in the sound is important.

The Brainwavs Hybrid will create a thinner (less mids) sound that seems further away. The Brainwavz velour is a more extreme version of that same sound (very thin, far away, and 'canny'). Brainwavz angled leather pads are similar to the 99C's in sound signature, but again much further away and the bass control will become worse due to the pads being further out.

For those getting the ST-Pad2's, you get one added benefit of being able to flip those pads. One side is open velour while the other side is pleather. Which section you have facing forward will change the sound signature dramatically, so if you don't like the way they sound the first time you put them on, try swapping the pads to around to see if you like that sound better instead.
Yes my desire is to calm down the bass but still keep the tonal character of the Meze 99 Noir.

May 15, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #6,319 of 7,677
Yes my desire is to calm down the bass but still keep the tonal character of the Meze 99 Noir.

I found the 99's to be a bit bloated in the bass with the larger pads - fixed that with EQ on the ES100 - which controlled the bass and improved the sound stage by bringing the vocals more forward. Absolutely love the combo - and while not quite as open/airy as the HD6XX, i strongly prefer the 99/ES100 combo for most of my listening. I also found the balanced cables improved the sound stage and provided slightly better imaging and spacing.

That said, I did order the smaller pads from Meze and just installed them last night, as I left my es100 at the office - my initial impression is that the pad difference was very noticeable - way more than I expected, actually. It toned down the boominess and improved the mid range - similar, actually, to what I get with the EQ from the ES100 and larger pads.

Didn't listen long, but those were my initial impressions.

Also like to play around with the Schitt Vali and have fun swapping out tubes - I do notice a little more warmth and 'silkiness', especially in female voices depending on the tube - I hated it with the stock tube! :)

In terms of the ES100, sound quality is absolutely stellar and much better than from my phone - LG G8 - which has a pretty decent reputation for audio quality - without question, the ES100 is worth every penny - IMHO... :)

May 16, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #6,320 of 7,677
I found the 99's to be a bit bloated in the bass with the larger pads - fixed that with EQ on the ES100 - which controlled the bass and improved the sound stage by bringing the vocals more forward. Absolutely love the combo - and while not quite as open/airy as the HD6XX, i strongly prefer the 99/ES100 combo for most of my listening. I also found the balanced cables improved the sound stage and provided slightly better imaging and spacing.

That said, I did order the smaller pads from Meze and just installed them last night, as I left my es100 at the office - my initial impression is that the pad difference was very noticeable - way more than I expected, actually. It toned down the boominess and improved the mid range - similar, actually, to what I get with the EQ from the ES100 and larger pads.

Also like to play around with the Schitt Vali and have fun swapping out tubes - I do notice a little more warmth and 'silkiness', especially in female voices depending on the tube - I hated it with the stock tube! :)

In terms of the ES100, sound quality is absolutely stellar and much better than from my phone - LG G8 - which has a pretty decent reputation for audio quality - without question, the ES100 is worth every penny - IMHO... :)
+1 for the ES100 and 99. I use mine with balanced cables. It’s an excellent combo.

May 17, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #6,321 of 7,677

How would you describe the difference in sound due on the orientation of the stpad2 pads? The Yaxi website advised that the velour half should be posterior by default.

May 17, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #6,323 of 7,677

Thanks for the headsup about the ES100!

I got a few questions about it. How can I EQ it? I mean, does it has different EQ settings? And any possibility to use it with PC?

May 17, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #6,324 of 7,677
Has anyone tried both the Yaxi St-Pad2 and the small pads supplied with mezd noir? Anyone know the differences in sound level?

Yup before picking up the Yaxi pads I had the small Meze pads. The small pads are an improvement, but to my ears the the yaxi's totally balance out the HP. My 99's are almost neutral with a slight bump in the bass and mids and opens of the soundstage. They are also an under rated gaming can.

May 17, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #6,325 of 7,677
Yup before picking up the Yaxi pads I had the small Meze pads. The small pads are an improvement, but to my ears the the yaxi's totally balance out the HP. My 99's are almost neutral with a slight bump in the bass and mids and opens of the soundstage. They are also an under rated gaming can.
Ok thanks, what about isolation? I found the meze 99 classics not very efficient for my isolation needs, especially for the sound that comes out of the headphones.

May 17, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #6,326 of 7,677
Ok thanks, what about isolation? I found the meze 99 classics not very efficient for my isolation needs, especially for the sound that comes out of the headphones.
It doesn't have good isolation, I can still hear people talking in front of me. DT770 has excellent isolation.

May 17, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #6,327 of 7,677
Thanks for the headsup about the ES100!

I got a few questions about it. How can I EQ it? I mean, does it has different EQ settings? And any possibility to use it with PC?

There is an app on your phone to control various settings on the device, but once they are set, it will keep the settings.

You can store some custom eq settings (4, I think) and there are several others built in.

It also has balanced output - which I find works better with meze - slightly better imaging and wider Soundstage.

I haven't done this, but it can also work as USB dac from your phone or pc... I've just used it in Bluetooth mode - which sounds great to me

I'm still listening to smaller pads that I put on the other night... Definitely improved the overall sound, imo, from the larger pads, and is pretty good without eq at all... I think I still prefer the large pads with eq, though I'm going to give it a longer listen.

Overall, I've been super happy with my 99c... The whole experience from taking them out of their case, to plugging in the cables, to how comfortable they are to wear, to how beautiful they are... May sound silly, but it makes the process of listening to music feel more special - like it is an experience, not just an afterthought.

The materials and textures - just a super high quality product.

May 17, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #6,328 of 7,677
There is an app on your phone to control various settings on the device, but once they are set, it will keep the settings.

You can store some custom eq settings (4, I think) and there are several others built in.

It also has balanced output - which I find works better with meze - slightly better imaging and wider Soundstage.

I haven't done this, but it can also work as USB dac from your phone or pc... I've just used it in Bluetooth mode - which sounds great to me

I'm still listening to smaller pads that I put on the other night... Definitely improved the overall sound, imo, from the larger pads, and is pretty good without eq at all... I think I still prefer the large pads with eq, though I'm going to give it a longer listen.

Overall, I've been super happy with my 99c... The whole experience from taking them out of their case, to plugging in the cables, to how comfortable they are to wear, to how beautiful they are... May sound silly, but it makes the process of listening to music feel more special - like it is an experience, not just an afterthought.

The materials and textures - just a super high quality product.
Might get the ES100.

The smaller pads you use, are they the official ones from Meze webstore?

May 17, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #6,329 of 7,677
ES100 and Meze 99 Noir is a pretty perfect pairing. If one were to combine the two so that they were truly portable (no wires, no porous wooden cups, no noisy, protruding headband), you'd have an exceptional headset that could compete on sound quality with other wireless over-ears in the same price range.

May 17, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #6,330 of 7,677
Might get the ES100.

The smaller pads you use, are they the official ones from Meze webstore?

Yes..

Very reasonably priced... I also bought the balanced cable from them... They run 50% sales on the cable periodically.

I keep checking their site for a new dynamic model - ready to step up for more at home use - but not quite ready for the empryeans! :)

I use the 99s a lot as portable cans - not jogging, etc, but listening at locations other than inside... On the patio, at the office, park or traveling - and it is actually super nice to NOT have a cable connected to my phone... Didn't except that, actually, before the es100, I found sound quality of wireless audio, not worth the trade off - even with highly reviewed Sony wireless headphone - just felt the sound lacking... Not so with meze 99 and es 100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back