Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Apr 18, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #6,256 of 7,695

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #6,258 of 7,695
If there ever was a headphone that deserved its own bluetooth dongle, it's the Meze 99 Classics. Gimme a wireless solution, Antonio! Or an Empyrean. Whichever lol
Buy an ES100 or one of the many BT adapters out there lol. I use mine with the Meze 2.5 balanced cable to the ES100.

The ES100 using LDAC from my Note 9 has made DAPs inferior (for me)

Apr 25, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #6,260 of 7,695
I threw on some Yaxi stPad2 pads. They actually completely change the sound signature to almost neutral to my ears. I haven't decided whether I'm going to keep them or not but its really interesting that the range of sound signatures can be so dramatic with these headphones and only a pad change.

May 1, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #6,262 of 7,695
Buy an ES100 or one of the many BT adapters out there lol. I use mine with the Meze 2.5 balanced cable to the ES100.

The ES100 using LDAC from my Note 9 has made DAPs inferior (for me)

I already own the ES100 and like it. But the 99 Classics is unique in that it sounds great as a closed back, is so easy to drive, and has bass response to spare, all of which are super important features for any portable headphone. However, with the porous wood cups, and suspension headband, its form factor is more transportable than portable. That's the real barrier to using them as a truly on-the-go set. I'm imagining something like the Panda but with the 99 Classics driver and tuning with the new original pads.

I don't know about the rest of you, but the whole pandemic has made me looking into TWS solutions as my default outdoor headphone. Not that I'm outside as much, but when I am, I don't want to be constantly fumbling with cables.

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #6,263 of 7,695
I already own the ES100 and like it. But the 99 Classics is unique in that it sounds great, is so easy to drive, and has bass response to spare, all of which are super important features for any portable headphone. However, with the porous wood cups, and suspension headband, its form factor is more transportable than portable. That's the real barrier to using them as a truly on-the-go set. I'm imagining something like the Panda but with the 99 Classics driver and tuning with the new original pads.

I don't know about the rest of you, but the whole pandemic has made me looking into TWS solutions as my default outdoor headphone. Not that I'm outside as much, but when I am, I don't want to be constantly fumbling with cables.

About a month ago I purchased a pair of airpods and in reality, I will never go back for on the go use. Walking the dog and going for runs, the convince of TWS just outweighs any sound performance I'm missing. When I'm at home and listening to music I use my full sized, but throughout the day airpods all the way.

When I'm listening to them instead of thinking about the sound quality I'm thinking about how much more I listen too everything because of their convenience.

May 1, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #6,264 of 7,695
I already own the ES100 and like it. But the 99 Classics is unique in that it sounds great, is so easy to drive, and has bass response to spare, all of which are super important features for any portable headphone. However, with the porous wood cups, and suspension headband, its form factor is more transportable than portable. That's the real barrier to using them as a truly on-the-go set. I'm imagining something like the Panda but with the 99 Classics driver and tuning with the new original pads.

I share the same issues. However, those issues of less portable is not really an issue to me because I like it how Meze designed the travel case for 99 Classics, easy and welll done. The 99 Classics can also be transported around the neck.

The only one biggest issue I have with TWS is the batterylife. They'll degrade over time and one day, they'll be rendered useless and there goes your money. Want another TSW? Spend one more time more again.

May 1, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #6,265 of 7,695
I share the same issues. However, those issues of less portable is not really an issue to me because I like it how Meze designed the travel case for 99 Classics, easy and welll done. The 99 Classics can also be transported around the neck.

The only one biggest issue I have with TWS is the batterylife. They'll degrade over time and one day, they'll be rendered useless and there goes your money. Want another TSW? Spend one more time more again.

Yup your right, you have to look at TWS as a disposable item. I'm good with spending 200 bucks every couple years, but also I can see how others may not be.

May 1, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #6,266 of 7,695
Good point. Ideally, all batteries in audiophile TWS solutions should be replaceable, if not by the user than by the manufacturer.

Edit: Even better, the electronics can get replaced or upgraded. Though that seems like asking a lot. I mean, if we can get an LDAC capable Meze 99, that's audibly transparent enough for me. I would just want to be able to swap out the battery eventually.

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #6,267 of 7,695
Yup your right, you have to look at TWS as a disposable item. I'm good with spending 200 bucks every couple years, but also I can see how others may not be.
With that amount of money every couple years, you could buy a very good headphone or other audio stuff and keep it for many of years whereas TWS won't make it that lifetime. Don't get me wrong, I've experienced wireless and it's awesome but every couple years of 200 bucks is pretty much flushing down the money but that's just me indeed.

Good point. Ideally, all batteries in audiophile TWS solutions should be replaceable, if not by the user than by the manufacturer.
Exactly. It's the exact same bull**** the phone manufacturers doing that to smartphones with non-replaceable batteries. E-waste keeps building up and you're forced to "upgrade" the phone.

May 1, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #6,268 of 7,695
Yes they do, I ran mine in for about 50 hours and they settled in and improved significantly. Bass is still there but not as dominant while the mids and hf became more evident and refined.
Burn in makes a difference with these. I initially found the bass very boomy, but after about 40+ hours of use they have settled in nicely and sound more balanced. I’m surprised at how much I love these headphones.

May 1, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #6,269 of 7,695
Using 99 Noirs with Little Dot MK3, which i really enjoy. I am considering to try them out with a solid state amp as well. I've been considering Magni as i already have the Modi.
Any opinions on pairing these with the Magni? Searched here, but was not able to see many opinions on this pairing.
I plugged my 99 Noir into my Darkvoice tube amp for the first time last night and was quite impressed with what I heard. I didn’t expect the low impedance headphone to Mach well with the high OI of the DV. But wha do you know, it sounds really good. The highs and mids are very forward and the bass is very controlled. The tubes made the 99 brighter than I’m used to.
I normally listen to them from my iPad, ES100 or NX4.

May 1, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #6,270 of 7,695
I still think the greatest trait of these cans, is the ability to make poorly produced, hi res files still sound really good - especially 80s hair metal and hard rock.
I agree that these headphones make most music sound really good. But just the thought of 80s hair metal send shivers down my spine. Having to hear it again might end me. But, to each his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back