Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Feb 27, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #6,227 of 7,677
HI, yes i bought in the uk but the picture is the same, i bought the ketdirect one and compared it with the original and found it difficult to distinguish between them (although audio memory and the time gap changing cables makes direct comparison more difficult, also the ketdirect has good strain relief and imo looks better.

Fits well although the connectors are possibly slightly longer.

d

Feb 27, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #6,228 of 7,677
Sooo...I have the Meze 99 Neo...is there any point in upgrading to the Classics? I have to admit, although I love bass, the Neo have a rather messy bass that definitely bleeds everywhere. It's like Dracula's bedroom.

Feb 27, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #6,229 of 7,677
Sooo...I have the Meze 99 Neo...is there any point in upgrading to the Classics? I have to admit, although I love bass, the Neo have a rather messy bass that definitely bleeds everywhere. It's like Dracula's bedroom.
Dracula's bedroom haha, full of kidnapped teens bleeding to death to keep his youth?

99 Neo looks boring imho but I had no idea there is the Neo before I got my 99 Classics. Audiophile headphones are truely so much better than those overrated headphones like "gaming" headphones, Beats by Dre Garbage, XM3 and so on. Audiophile headphones sounds so much better for movies, gaming, music and everything. Those headphones also tend to have nice designs or simple and elegant designs like the T5p.2. So if the bass is messy, then upgrade to 99 Classics.

Feb 27, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #6,230 of 7,677

Maybe try swapping the pads before buying a new headphone? That might help tame the bass, but if not you'll want them for the Classics.

Feb 28, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #6,231 of 7,677
Maybe try swapping the pads before buying a new headphone? That might help tame the bass, but if not you'll want them for the Classics.

I have the Shure 1540 alcantara pads on mine and it brings things into line nicely along with being a bit deeper and more comfortable to me.

Also, in case anyone else has the same issue, I found that when I walked they made an awful bouncing noise. I took the band apart and moved the headband elastic outside the plastic sleeve in the leather band which made things a lot less springy.

Works for me :)

Feb 28, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #6,232 of 7,677
I have both neo and classics and with the same pads prefer clearly the classics by wide margin.

I did not like my Neo and I was thinking to sell them, something strange to me since I never sell anything, but I changed the pads with velour pads and since then my changed pads neo sounds better than the original pads classics.

Depending on the pads you are using the sound changes completely and currently I am using my neo most of the times and on my bed since it is closed and very comfortable when you lie your head sideways on the pillow. The only problem is that the sound leakage is not so good anymore it reminds more of semi open headphone and this is why maybe sounds so much better. All the bloat in bass is gone. In addition, they look much uglier because of the pads I choose. But I can use them when the weather is hot.

I am not using my classics anymore because simply they are so beautiful, I cannot leave them lying around with my kids or lie in the pillow with them my heart cannot see that amazing wood to be damaged. It is a collector's item for me now, I just have it. On the contrary neo takes all that beating since it much more sturdy. Finally, with the velour pads there is better synergy with the 50£ Meze balanced cable, a big improvement in comparison with the original cable. I heard once the classics with the same balanced cable and I did not like what I heard at all I prefer with them with the original cable.

All in all, as I already said in the past Meze should have developed a version of velour pads for the 99 series, I cannot see the harm, even if the sounds does not improve at least we can use the headphone in the hot summer.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #6,233 of 7,677
I have both neo and classics and with the same pads prefer clearly the classics by wide margin.

I did not like my Neo and I was thinking to sell them, something strange to me since I never sell anything, but I changed the pads with velour pads and since then my changed pads neo sounds better than the original pads classics.

Depending on the pads you are using the sound changes completely and currently I am using my neo most of the times and on my bed since it is closed and very comfortable when you lie your head sideways on the pillow. The only problem is that the sound leakage is not so good anymore it reminds more of semi open headphone and this is why maybe sounds so much better. All the bloat in bass is gone. In addition, they look much uglier because of the pads I choose. But I can use them when the weather is hot.

I am not using my classics anymore because simply they are so beautiful, I cannot leave them lying around with my kids or lie in the pillow with them my heart cannot see that amazing wood to be damaged. It is a collector's item for me now, I just have it. On the contrary neo takes all that beating since it much more sturdy. Finally, with the velour pads there is better synergy with the 50£ Meze balanced cable, a big improvement in comparison with the original cable. I heard once the classics with the same balanced cable and I did not like what I heard at all I prefer with them with the original cable.

All in all, as I already said in the past Meze should have developed a version of velour pads for the 99 series, I cannot see the harm, even if the sounds does not improve at least we can use the headphone in the hot summer.

Can you tell me where did you bought them?

Thanks!

Feb 28, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #6,234 of 7,677
Can you tell me where did you bought them?

Thanks!
Brainwavz Replacement Memory Foam Earpads - Suitable For Many Headphones - AKG, HifiMan, ATH, Philips, Fostex, Grado, Sony ear pad (Black Velour) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MFDX4YO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JTmwEbT0JQ7RH

Just to be clear I am not claiming that is the best replacement available because I don't know. I tried only these and it is a vast improvement. I do not want to spend the money for other more expensive options like alcantara etc without knowing for sure first. I bought these based on a Amazon review. See more details on the neo thread.

Feb 28, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #6,235 of 7,677
Or just make cuts to the mid bass. Have a look through this review for EQ settings. You could also cut 125hz a few notches.

Feb 28, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #6,236 of 7,677
Brainwavz Replacement Memory Foam Earpads - Suitable For Many Headphones - AKG, HifiMan, ATH, Philips, Fostex, Grado, Sony ear pad (Black Velour) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MFDX4YO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JTmwEbT0JQ7RH

Just to be clear I am not claiming that is the best replacement available because I don't know. I tried only these and it is a vast improvement. I do not want to spend the money for other more expensive options like alcantara etc without knowing for sure first. I bought these based on a Amazon review. See more details on the neo thread.

Thank you very much! :)

Feb 28, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #6,237 of 7,677
Using 99 Noirs with Little Dot MK3, which i really enjoy. I am considering to try them out with a solid state amp as well. I've been considering Magni as i already have the Modi.
Any opinions on pairing these with the Magni? Searched here, but was not able to see many opinions on this pairing.

Feb 28, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #6,238 of 7,677
I am not using my classics anymore because simply they are so beautiful, I cannot leave them lying around with my kids or lie in the pillow with them my heart cannot see that amazing wood to be damaged. It is a collector's item for me now, I just have it.

That's why I got another pair as a spare and collectors item haha. The spare also got the smell as new and so on but I do perfectly understand what you mean. I messed up with my first one because I couldn't place the earpads properly and thus, it gotten too loose due to very stubborn screw to tighten the swive system.

Mar 4, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #6,239 of 7,677
Hello everybody,
I was asked about the subj tips at one of Russian audiophile forums. Could you share the links to buy good tips from? Thank you in advance.

Mar 12, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #6,240 of 7,677
I am actually enjoying the meze's signature quite a lot after burn in. It offers a different flavor than the dark headphones I have used for years. The treble has come out after burn in which mostly killed the bass bloom. It's a bright treble unlike the warm treble of my HD 650, yet doesnt sound harsh. I wouldn't really call this headphone relaxing because the treble has a bit of energy in it. I also wouldn't call them warm, it is a clear sound with some natural warmth. Overall the sound is very musical. These are a keeper for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back