Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Apr 17, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #5,461 of 7,696
One real upside to the stock pads on the 99 Noir-- as someone who wears glasses, I'm okay with the extra bass since the seal I'm getting while wearing glasses greatly reduces bass response. When I take my frames off, the bass can be pretty overwhelming. But I doubt I'll be listening to them with my glasses actually off very much at all. When I'm wearing my glasses, the bass response is within the range of tolerably massive. So, I think I've found my ideal portable over-ears. Woo!

Apr 18, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #5,464 of 7,696
Thanks for the replies.

I live in Jersey, so I hope a signature isn't required.

Can people in the US confirm that they didn't have to sign for their MassDrop packages? My God, waiting all day for a package is heck.

And being busy with work all week that prevents you from being at home to sign in the first place...

Signatures are a friggin' pain.

Apr 18, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #5,466 of 7,696
FedEx just dropped the package off where all the mail gets delivered for my building. The tracking page was updated pretty much immediately afterwards.

I am curious to try the “new original” (I’m getting Spinal Tap flashbacks here) pads to see if the tuning still works for me.

Apr 18, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #5,467 of 7,696
Maybe my ears are broken but I prefer the larger pads that came with my Noir....
Nothing wrong with that. For all the hate the m50x get I still love their sound more than legends like the Oppo PM3 or the Beyer DT770.
And you're lucky since you'll be able to buy new pads if you need to. The small ones are not sold separately...at least not yet.

Apr 18, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #5,468 of 7,696
Nothing wrong with that. For all the hate the m50x get I still love their sound more than legends like the Oppo PM3 or the Beyer DT770.
And you're lucky since you'll be able to buy new pads if you need to. The small ones are not sold separately...at least not yet.

I hafta respectfully disagree... I own the 770's with 250 ohm. No way, to me, they're lesser than m50x (which I owned at one point) that you hafta eq the sibilant highs and bloaty bass. Now if the 770s are lesser ohm models, I can see it... But not the other way around.

As for Mezes, I feel that larger pads make these puppies sing depending on your source.

Apr 18, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #5,469 of 7,696
I hafta respectfully disagree... I own the 770's with 250 ohm. No way, to me, they're lesser than m50x (which I owned at one point) that you hafta eq the sibilant highs and bloaty bass. Now if the 770s are lesser ohm models, I can see it... But not the other way around.

As for Mezes, I feel that larger pads make these puppies sing depending on your source.
My point exactly, we all have different hearing and preference. 770 may be objectively better, but I enjoyed the sound of the m50x more and didn't find them at all sibilant. I did find the 770's treble super fatiguing though.

Apr 18, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #5,470 of 7,696
My point exactly, we all have different hearing and preference. 770 may be objectively better, but I enjoyed the sound of the m50x more and didn't find them at all sibilant. I did find the 770's treble super fatiguing though.
As did I. Although I thought they had better sound quality than my M50x I couldn’t get over the treble peak and replaced them with the H6 after only a couple months. Now I’m looking forward to getting my 99 Noir, to see if they’ll dethrone my H6!

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #5,472 of 7,696
I have H6, DT770 and Meze 99. Meze is the sweetest
I’ve heard so many good things but I know the bass level has been declared as too much for some. I’m just hoping it’s not too off balance for me; but there are things to play with. It’ll come with two pads and I already have a portable amp/dac. And there is the Meze balanced cable of course!

Apr 18, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #5,474 of 7,696
Delivery of my order has advanced pretty rapidly. Last night all it said was a label was created; then this morning it said it was expected to deliver 4/20 (already pretty quick I thought!) Upon checking again it’s now expected tomorrow! Pretty speedy. I was planning on going to the movies tomorrow night but I’m now thinking about hanging back... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back