Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Apr 16, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #5,434 of 7,681
Been rocking the 99 Noirs for 2 days now. To my hearing the pads make a huge difference.

Similarly to the measurement plots on Massdrop, and Tyll's observations the pads that come pre-installed (the latest gen "Stock 99" large hole ones that come with the Classics and Neo) recess the mids and some highs a little too much, particularly 3.5-5 kHz and 8kHz. Sound becomes a little v-shaped and the highs - slightly peaky, but still not fatiguing. They do make the sound stage a little wider but some tracks sound like my head is in a cadboard box. On the positive side because of the stiffer foam my ears barely touch the cups and feel airy.

The "new original" pads (the small soft ones with the foam filters) sound a lot more balanced. I haven't heard any of the Classics versions but I think that's the signature everyone originally fell in love with. Because of the soft foam my ears touch the drivers and they feel a little stuffy. Won't be fun to wear them on a hot day. Anyhow, I do hope Meze releases these to be purchased separately, or ideally create a new revision that has the shape of the stocks but creates this sound sig.

Btw I believe MD has the pad dimensions erroneously switched. My "stocks" measure 104x85x24/67x50 mm while the "new originals" measure 96x85x25/60x50 mm.

EDIT: I want to add a big YMMV of course. Some folks don't hear much of a difference between the pads, and nothing on mine has been broken in yet - pads or drivers (if that's even a thing).

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #5,435 of 7,681
Been rocking the 99 Noirs for 2 days now. To my hearing the pads make a huge difference.

Similarly to the measurement plots on Massdrop, and Tyll's observations the pads that come pre-installed (the latest gen "Stock 99" large hole ones that come with the Classics and Neo) recess the mids and some highs a little too much, particularly 3.5-5 kHz and 8kHz. Sound becomes a little v-shaped and the highs - slightly peaky, but still not fatiguing. They do make the sound stage a little wider but some tracks sound like my head is in a cadboard box. On the positive side because of the stiffer foam my ears barely touch the cups and feel airy.

The "new original" pads (the small soft ones with the foam filters) sound a lot more balanced. I haven't heard any of the Classics versions but I think that's the signature everyone originally fell in love with. Because of the soft foam my ears touch the drivers and they feel a little stuffy. Won't be fun to wear them on a hot day. Anyhow, I do hope Meze releases these to be purchased separately, or ideally create a new revision that has the shape of the stocks but creates this sound sig.

Btw I believe MD has the pad dimensions erroneously switched. My "stocks" measure 104x85x24/67x50 mm while the "new originals" measure 96x85x25/60x50 mm.
Thanks for your impressions dude! I jumped on the drop this morning, and I hadn’t seen many in depth comparisons between the two pads yet. This is the first one I’ve seen that sounds confident. I was worried they might still sound too warm even with the older pads. With these words about how the “new-old” pads sound I’m even more excited to get these. Might be in for a stressful, but fun week of heavy comparison between the Noir with both pads and the B&O H6 :)

Apr 16, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #5,436 of 7,681
Thanks for your impressions dude! I jumped on the drop this morning, and I hadn’t seen many in depth comparisons between the two pads yet. This is the first one I’ve seen that sounds confident. I was worried they might still sound too warm even with the older pads. With these words about how the “new-old” pads sound I’m even more excited to get these. Might be in for a stressful, but fun week of heavy comparison between the Noir with both pads and the B&O H6 :)

I used to have a 1st gen H6. If I remember their signature correctly The Noir with "new original" pads sounds similar but with better mids.

Apr 16, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #5,439 of 7,681

EDIT: I want to add a big YMMV of course. Some folks don't hear much of a difference between the pads, and nothing on mine has been broken in yet - pads or drivers (if that's even a thing).
Nice. I have the original originals. I like the look of the Noir better, but no matter how hard I try, I can't justify it. Still working on it though lol

Apr 16, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #5,441 of 7,681
Well I ended up jumping on 99 Noir, shipped out last Thursday and they arrived Monday. I’ve only spent an hour or so listening to them so I won’t offer up a detailed review but I most certainly like them. I listened for half an hour of tracks I’m very familiar with using the larger ear pads they come installed with. They sounded good but I thought the mids were a little too recessed and although the bass had good presence it lacked detail. Swapped to the small hole pads and re-listened to the same tracks. In short the mids and highs sounded much better and the bass tightened up. The bass lost a little extension but the trade off of extra punch and detail is worth the tiny sacrifice.

As others have noted......the small hole pads make the overall sound more cohesive but still retains their warmth that makes them easy to listen to. In short you should definitely experiment with the pads and it’s great that it comes with two sets that definitely sound different from each other. Everybody hears differently so one persons trash is another’s treasure. And yeah......super easy to drive with my iPhone/iPad which was my primary reason to buy these.....they can play very loud without maxing your volume on YouTube, iTunes, etc.

Apr 16, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #5,442 of 7,681
Well I ended up jumping on 99 Noir, shipped out last Thursday and they arrived Monday. I’ve only spent an hour or so listening to them so I won’t offer up a detailed review but I most certainly like them. I listened for half an hour of tracks I’m very familiar with using the larger ear pads they come installed with. They sounded good but I thought the mids were a little too recessed and although the bass had good presence it lacked detail. Swapped to the small hole pads and re-listened to the same tracks. In short the mids and highs sounded much better and the bass tightened up. The bass lost a little extension but the trade off of extra punch and detail is worth the tiny sacrifice.

As others have noted......the small hole pads make the overall sound more cohesive but still retains their warmth that makes them easy to listen to. In short you should definitely experiment with the pads and it’s great that it comes with two sets that definitely sound different from each other. Everybody hears differently so one persons trash is another’s treasure. And yeah......super easy to drive with my iPhone/iPad which was my primary reason to buy these.....they can play very loud without maxing your volume on YouTube, iTunes, etc.
Another exciting endorsement!

Apr 16, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #5,443 of 7,681
I purchased the Massdrop version last week. Looking forward to them. My first closed set of HP's.
My favourite HP's are the Aeon Open followed by the AQ NightHawks. A sound like those would be a treat.

Apr 16, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #5,444 of 7,681
A more recent photograph of my newly acquired Hiby R3 and Classics. Overall, a splendid combination. :o2smile:
A6500673.JPG

Apr 16, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #5,445 of 7,681

+1 on this! Hear hear! :metal::sunglasses:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back