Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Apr 29, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #436 of 7,703
  I got my maple silver today.  Here's some pix.  I also had a spare brainwav hybrid valour (contact surface with pleather surrounding) to see if it fits.  It does fit.  It does change the SQ.  
SQ changed from a more immediate in your face sound to just a bit more relaxed which also contributed to a bit more soundstage which is to be expected.  The mid-bass also a bit less distorted/boomy from the extra distance.  Comfort wise obviously because its valour surface its a bit more comfy and fits my ears better.

But I'll contact @MezeTeam to get the officially large pads that supposed to come with the newer 99's.  I have zero desire to run black pads on a this beautiful maple silver setup.

here are the pix:

Very cool...good to know!!

...and don't forget to post some of your pics in the photo thread Meze started. Some mighty fine pics!!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/806406/meze-99-classics-unique-wood-grain-photos

Apr 29, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #438 of 7,703
Aaargh.......my Walnut Silver is stuck in customs.....earliest I can get them is on tuesday.....crap...

Apr 29, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #439 of 7,703
I got my maple silver today.  Here's some pix.  I also had a spare brainwav hybrid valour (contact surface with pleather surrounding) to see if it fits.  It does fit.  It does change the SQ.  
SQ changed from a more immediate in your face sound to just a bit more relaxed which also contributed to a bit more soundstage which is to be expected.  The mid-bass also a bit less distorted/boomy from the extra distance.  Comfort wise obviously because its valour surface its a bit more comfy and fits my ears better.

But I'll contact @MezeTeam
 to get the officially large pads that supposed to come with the newer 99's.  I have zero desire to run black pads on a this beautiful maple silver setup.

here are the pix:

Strange. Regardings your pics. You already have got the larger pads. Mines seem much smaller about inner size. Did you take any measurement?

Apr 29, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #440 of 7,703
And I've got Brainwavz pads to. These dont fit very well in my opinion and still too loose. One solution is to put them over the wood cup (I will post pictures once at home) and it fits much better...sacrificing the look and isolation as well. Paired with 99's headband, the confort is stellar, thought. Still waiting for a complete burn in before post any feedback about SQ. I think looking for quality aftermarket M50X pads is the way to go, considering the quite similar size of earcups.

Apr 29, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #441 of 7,703
I bought the brainwavz velour pads but tried them and the bass was just muddy and loose so put the stock ones back on and was back to toe tapping

Apr 30, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #443 of 7,703
From now, after 4 days with my 99 classics, I've to say: pads are an issue for me. I find them "tuff" or not soft or fluffy enought (not sure to be understood with my English). Added to the strong clamping force, these are uncomfortable on and around my ears and I had to remove my cans after less than one hour several times. The confort on the top of the head is second to none however, headband being excellent.

I will try ATH MSR7 stock pads next week, see if that cans improve something,hope to not lose sound signature.

Apr 30, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #444 of 7,703
From now, after 4 days with my 99 classics, I've to say: pads are an issue for me. I find them "tuff" or not soft or fluffy enought (not sure to be understood with my English). Added to the strong clamping force, these are uncomfortable on and around my ears and I had to remove my cans after less than one hour several times. The confort on the top of the head is second to none however, headband being excellent.

I will try ATH MSR7 stock pads next week, see if that cans improve something,hope to not lose sound signature.

You got the Walnut Silver version with the small pads right ?

Geez, I don't understand why they have decided to ship the Walnut Silver without the new pads...
mad.gif

Apr 30, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #445 of 7,703
I'm confused. Is there three different sizes of ear pad? The original small ones, the slightly larger than original, and the yet to be released even though it was said they would be shipping with the new colors extra large ear pad? Is there any rhyme or reason as to what size ear pad you will get based on the color of headphone ordered? What are the actual measurements of each different size of earpad?

Do all of my questions sound rediculus? I'm interested in buying these, but I'm trigger shy because I have slightly larger "taller" than normal ears.

Apr 30, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #446 of 7,703
I'm confused. Is there three different sizes of ear pad? The original small ones, the slightly larger than original, and the yet to be released even though it was said they would be shipping with the new colors extra large ear pad? Is there any rhyme or reason as to what size ear pad you will get based on the color of headphone ordered? What are the actual measurements of each different size of earpad?

Do all of my questions sound rediculus? I'm interested in buying these, but I'm trigger shy because I have slightly larger "taller" than normal ears.

From what I understand they were initially designed with "original size" earcups (i.e., small) and are now shipping or preparing to ship with slightly larger cups.  The black ones pictured above are third-party jobs that happen to fit pretty good.

Apr 30, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #448 of 7,703
I'm ready to reterminate the cable to balanced. Meze can confirm the cable is a 4 conductor one at the connector.

Apr 30, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #450 of 7,703
You got the Walnut Silver version with the small pads right ?

Geez, I don't understand why they have decided to ship the Walnut Silver without the new pads...:mad:  

Hi, yes I have the Silver Walnut. It seems i've got the "old" pads regarding my measurements.

Anyway, I don't think this is the main matter. I complain against the density (not soft enough) of pads, more than the size in fact. I think this high density was chosen for better isolation, and that works on this part. Confort (for my head at least) is another story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back