Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Apr 30, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #451 of 7,677
Mine arrived today!

Granted I'm at the bottom looking up as far as audiophilia goes, but they are so rich sounding. Full, warm, very clear, and they definitely benefit from amping - don't get it wrong it's not absolutely necessary, but I notice the bass end is more involved and it brings out the qualities of lower voices noticeably better. The sound at first, I thought, wasn't as clear as my AKGs, but then when I sampled the music I generally use to try new headphones I realized it wasn't a lack of clarity it was simply a richer (and equally smooth) bass that I wasn't used to. Hey, AKG isn't known for bass, you know? I could hear the Stradivarius weeping as it sang the notes on the Hero soundtrack. We'll see how they improve with some burn in. Yes, I believe in burning in.

Comfort wise they fit me fine; the position of the cups, the headband pressure, etc is great ... for me; I have a medium-large head. The cups, though, while certainly comfortable, do brush the earlobes on all sides. It's not uncomfortable, but if you're looking for big cirumaural phones you need the bigger pads. I haven't decided yet whether to get them or not; while they're more than comfortable, even for an hour or so of listening in my case, they are on the small end of over-ear.

The presentation, quality, and sound is really, really good - like Talenti 5-ingredient Vanilla Bean ice cream in my ears. ....in my humble under-experienced opinion that's in the process of improving. :)

@MezeTeam  Keep up the good work my friends.

May 1, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #453 of 7,677
Let's know how they fit and sound :)

Well...the 1540 pads do not fit on the earcup, too much gap. But, like with Brainwavz, you can put these over the wood cup. The isolation is surprisingly good that way, confort is OK too. But I found the sound too congested, you lose a lot about soundstage and bass extension...I cannot recommend this setting.

May 1, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #454 of 7,677
Well...the 1540 pads do not fit on the earcup, too much gap. But, like with Brainwavz, you can put these over the wood cup. The isolation is surprisingly good that way, confort is OK too. But I found the sound too congested, you lose a lot about soundstage and bass extension...I cannot recommend this setting.

To bad...

Do you have the 1540? How would you compare the sound of the 99 classics and the 1540?

May 2, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #459 of 7,677
I'm ready to reterminate the cable to balanced. Meze can confirm the cable is a 4 conductor one at the connector.

Any idea?  Meze can you help please.

May 2, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #460 of 7,677
To bad...

Do you have the 1540? How would you compare the sound of the 99 classics and the 1540?

Yep. From now, with almost one week listening the 99, I think I reached the 40h of burn in recommended by Meze. So I'm able to write a quick feedback (a bad one considering my English :beyersmile:), here compared to the Shure SRH1540:

Build: Both are good. The 1540 still feel less premium in term of design and finish (too much plastic used for a matter of weight) but is built to last. Meze 99 Classics is much more attractive with no apparent plastic part, only metal and wood. These have the huge advantage to be almost (modular) every parts being screwed. Meze wins this part.

Comfort: put the Meze on your head few minutes. Then put the Shure...it's like there's nothing on your head! Thought the Meze headband is fantastic, the pads are hard, too little, shallow,the exact opposite of the 1540's ones. The clamping force is a little too strong with the Meze on my head (a bit bigger than average) In a nomad use, both are uncomfortable on neck, but I'd say the Meze are even worse due to the clamping force. Shure wins...hands down!

Sound isolation/leak: Hum... I'd say both are OK, but the Meze, due the clamping fore and the density of pads, isolate a bit better. I'm not 100% sure, but it seems the Meze leak a little more at high volume. Please note both leak a bit anyway. This still acceptable for a nomad use without disturbing other passengers in a bus, for example.

Sound: Philosophy is different. To sum up, "fun" vs "accurate". Both have a slight bass emphasis, but more mid-mass for Meze and sub bass for Shure. Right out the box, I found the Meze lacked impact on low end, but it seems to improve after 30-40h. Overall, bass with Meze are faster and tighter, while deeper and a bit loose with the Shure. Sometimes, I felt like I missed the strength of the other ones and conversely...I'd say the 1540 bass are more accurate in general but the slight mid bass boost of the 99 classics is maybe more enjoyable to listen.

Treble and mids are smooth on both. With the Shure, there is no brightness, harshness, or sibilance to speak of. While Meze offer overall more clarity and could be a bit aggressive at high volume. Vocals are more recessed on the Shure, more textured with Meze. Overall the 1540 are more neutral regarding the sound coloration and timbre, these sound much darker side by side. There is no doubt you'll get more "life" with the Meze, more enjoyable to listen, but 1540 are maybe a better choice is you need something closer to the recording.

Both have excellent soundstage for closed cans. I would say the Shure give more openness and air between instruments. The Meze sound "fuller" with more density and body. It depends of what you're looking for. But, again, the fun factor is on the Meze side.

Hope this helped.

May 3, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #461 of 7,677

Yep. From now, with almost one week listening the 99, I think I reached the 40h of burn in recommended by Meze. So I'm able to write a quick feedback (a bad one considering my English :beyersmile:), here compared to the Shure SRH1540:

Build: Both are good. The 1540 still feel less premium in term of design and finish (too much plastic used for a matter of weight) but is built to last. Meze 99 Classics is much more attractive with no apparent plastic part, only metal and wood. These have the huge advantage to be almost (modular) every parts being screwed. Meze wins this part.

Comfort: put the Meze on your head few minutes. Then put the Shure...it's like there's nothing on your head! Thought the Meze headband is fantastic, the pads are hard, too little, shallow,the exact opposite of the 1540's ones. The clamping force is a little too strong with the Meze on my head (a bit bigger than average) In a nomad use, both are uncomfortable on neck, but I'd say the Meze are even worse due to the clamping force. Shure wins...hands down!

Sound isolation/leak: Hum... I'd say both are OK, but the Meze, due the clamping fore and the density of pads, isolate a bit better. I'm not 100% sure, but it seems the Meze leak a little more at high volume. Please note both leak a bit anyway. This still acceptable for a nomad use without disturbing other passengers in a bus, for example.

Sound: Philosophy is different. To sum up, "fun" vs "accurate". Both have a slight bass emphasis, but more mid-mass for Meze and sub bass for Shure. Right out the box, I found the Meze lacked impact on low end, but it seems to improve after 30-40h. Overall, bass with Meze are faster and tighter, while deeper and a bit loose with the Shure. Sometimes, I felt like I missed the strength of the other ones and conversely...I'd say the 1540 bass are more accurate in general but the slight mid bass boost of the 99 classics is maybe more enjoyable to listen.

Treble and mids are smooth on both. With the Shure, there is no brightness, harshness, or sibilance to speak of. While Meze offer overall more clarity and could be a bit aggressive at high volume. Vocals are more recessed on the Shure, more textured with Meze. Overall the 1540 are more neutral regarding the sound coloration and timbre, these sound much darker side by side. There is no doubt you'll get more "life" with the Meze, more enjoyable to listen, but 1540 are maybe a better choice is you need something closer to the recording.

Both have excellent soundstage for closed cans. I would say the Shure give more openness and air between instruments. The Meze sound "fuller" with more density and body. It depends of what you're looking for. But, again, the fun factor is on the Meze side.

Hope this helped.

The headband I find for me is just tight enough; I can wear them for an hour or two with no real sense of squeeze. Sure, I've had looser headphones that still stay in place and isolate good, but just another perspective on the headband pressure. Maybe I have a much smaller head than I thought but I just don't get the big deal people make with the squeeze.

But you're spot on about sound - they are fun, and they're really good for acoustic/rock and roll stuff. I didn't buy them for reference. I love that the bass is clear and solid but not overpowering. I definitely feel the bass but without it feeling like my eardrums are being suctioned in and out with the vibrations.

:)

May 3, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #462 of 7,677

Going to answer for them. According to the comments in your link, the pads do in fact fit the ATH-M50, which is good because their pads will fit the 99 Classics. Here are some pictures. Confirmed here.

The 99 Classics have the same cup size and shape as the ATH-M50

Frame on top of pad, and pad on top of frame

Side by side

I see no reason why the pads would not fit

DT 770 Velour pads! Very comfy....more to come on this... 
wink.gif

P.S. Thanks for the link!
P.P.S. Double thank you; I just read that the Brainwavz will also fit my PSBs!! I think I am ordering a pair.

beerchug.gif

How the 99 Classics sound with the DT 770 Velour pads? I'm not sure I can wait until Meze comes out with the Velours for the 99 Classics...

May 3, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #464 of 7,677
My good sir, can you tell which of the two is the most natural sounding to your ears?

I am not a audiophile, and I don't have the X00 myself, just tried them. Love my Meze 99 tho and I would probably chose the 99 classics over the X00 :)
I would say the 99 classics are more natural and overall better sounding for my ears and taste. The 99 classics are also cheaper and easier to get. But the X00 are better at bass if you are into that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back