Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Mar 21, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #3,797 of 7,704
Will upgrading the cable make a difference? I don't plan on running in balanced. Idk if I should buy the classics without the upgraded cable.

The upgraded cable is 200$, if you mean the Meze cable. The silver one gives them a slightly more balanced sound, and does improve the overall sound, but if you do get it, you might as well try to use it in balanced mode for optimal performance

Mar 21, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #3,798 of 7,704
The upgraded cable is 200$, if you mean the Meze cable. The silver one gives them a slightly more balanced sound, and does improve the overall sound, but if you do get it, you might as well try to use it in balanced mode for optimal performance

Yea the Meze cable. I was looking at the silver. I would use the 3.5 adapter on my home dac/amp.

Mar 21, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #3,800 of 7,704
This has absolutely nothing to do with anything other then saying ever since I picked up a like new to me Oppo HE-2, the classics have never sounded better, which I didn't think could happen. The bass has tightened up even more, the treble has taken on a bit more sparkle and it?...it?....just sounds really good. :) This is a really nice pairing.

Mar 22, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #3,801 of 7,704
This has absolutely nothing to do with anything other then saying ever since I picked up a like new to me Oppo HE-2, the classics have never sounded better, which I didn't think could happen. The bass has tightened up even more, the treble has taken on a bit more sparkle and it?...it?....just sounds really good. :) This is a really nice pairing.

Oh, that is correct, HA-2 (I am guessing you mean HA-2 from Oppo), which I listened to a while ago, is a really good source and a really good match with 99 Classics, it will tighten the bass and add sparkle to the treble, which balances them and gives them a better overall resolution.

For reference, HA-2 is on the brigther and wider types of sounds, which combines really well with smooth and laid-back headphones / IEMS

Mar 22, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #3,802 of 7,704
Oh, that is correct, HA-2 (I am guessing you mean HA-2 from Oppo), which I listened to a while ago, is a really good source and a really good match with 99 Classics, it will tighten the bass and add sparkle to the treble, which balances them and gives them a better overall resolution.

For reference, HA-2 is on the brigther and wider types of sounds, which combines really well with smooth and laid-back headphones / IEMS
Yes, you're correct. Fat finger and I do appreciate the correction. Hate it when I do that. :)
I so agree, it's a very good source and I actually like this combo as much as my desktop gear. Really "great" synergy.

Edit: Thank you for pointing that out to me. I had He-2 listed in my personal details and sig. :confused:

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #3,803 of 7,704
I just got my 99 Classics a couple of days ago and they sound great so far, but i don't think that they are creating a very good seal. There's a tiny gap on the back of my ears where the earpads aren't making a seal, more so on my left ear. Some frequencies are louder in my left, compared to my right and vice versa when i tested it in mono, but it's hard to tell if it's just my hearing, or what. Is there a simple way to get these to seal a bit better?

Mar 23, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #3,804 of 7,704
I just got my 99 Classics a couple of days ago and they sound great so far, but i don't think that they are creating a very good seal. There's a tiny gap on the back of my ears where the earpads aren't making a seal, more so on my left ear. Some frequencies are louder in my left, compared to my right and vice versa when i tested it in mono, but it's hard to tell if it's just my hearing, or what. Is there a simple way to get these to seal a bit better?
I had a similar issue, the larger Brainwavz pads solved that problem.

Mar 23, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #3,805 of 7,704

Hi Koover,

Since you didn't ask, I could have told you that a while back.

Hope you have a great day !

Mar 23, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #3,807 of 7,704
After further testing, I figured out that it was my hearing. Even if I squish the pads against my ears to make a seal, some frequencies are still louder in one ear compared to the other...

Did you try switching which cup is on which ear to make sure it is not the drivers that are not matched?

Mar 24, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #3,809 of 7,704

Users who are viewing this thread

Back