Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jul 7, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #2,656 of 7,695
Hey George and JaeYoon,

I am in the process of writing a review of my 99s. I have decided to keep them and sell off my AKG K551s. A major factor in this decision was the assistance I received from both you George and akg fanboy on this site (and through the help of Meze themselves in getting me in touch with George!). I was able to take George's and akg's advice and come up with my own EQ which I'm VERY happy with. akg fanboy and I are in final talks to tweak it a bit more, but I don't think it really needs it anymore, but he will get back to me soon on it. Anyway, JaeYoon if you like, I can post the new EQ (from Poweramp) here so you can try it out. But when my reviews hits it will most definitely include the new EQ. Let me know!
Yeah! I also use poweramp

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #2,657 of 7,695
Yeah! I also use poweramp

Nice!!!

Ok here it is. Now if it doesn't post or display correctly, let me know.

Bpm2bz6MM36ARbMCbHVxonFEFSLoOeNr3aaT48ku9DctIlM6hzOQh39qlunBSm9LIA7d1rzfyPNk1oRB_SfT01KETTZvteztvEQ5-fPxA1XtQjW1pxMAkEzG9A4RCkjPwrQtsxxct3VuYs0xMVpmh0Lm88Lxq5aGQ0C4M5-nYIBwenYl_W-mPgk05FMPo6hvQEPirSxyP6gQiPQmP24JtIOCyHGKUX9g631ka_4cfjRz6lKT5vrUOIJwsWSqCiPPwvAJLonn2Bct_xr6zjy3tR61avYRP-7c_t7g75gJeMdkkF1u5FN1W3yCEhHkz0gLS7Ibh2cL8CSpVkyMNHee8yAP3uMAxSnPYm3liws9ASY8dxzLzPUg9s6amJaZ5U70buVUww5yHgAfA9McML44wKgGSuz_6W1apTVSIpA9dYz3s1Gz2j8zR9scddDM2mU3vN9EdA5yjf0DVp_M6A7PNmq_4XNoQnEWyt9GkMoqHaGTWaNqn2d56EOiTh0oJTDnig3Jv8FyDsEas8HkegpjARf2ENkiaqHl6SOfYIzG5pmVwh8TdgXq0y3VFNUudCQDk6epDhWd4fWXMPkQP6g0q6OEO2qHO84S8FE7qHvZMd34oJglUw1DFlzj6Q=w518-h919-no

mMAG8l0m-GFEunScG_kCHuVDBiiGr3k7AmavjIRJVrabGpDNdUInOvcAGWnc42XiB24dp8Z1Me73dhwIW9JhJ-Do3LcDoaz6uJSv5xOdRGukeuB1jkulyPifAhcaSSmRIeiu0dbrXiWCaQNRF_QaaeFUZXH5lN0YZLvcY9hWF1SZopkk8lHYPj6HFRJ1pN3vvAjHPO7dprxJdhxQcBpHV9y0RjG1BEn3lYK2baTwT7pb4Uupt_SXLSn3lfOnJKAo7p7EVtUagFb4eXWxf6M-ioz0q7wHIy8_1h9oQ_7TD-ZVPrKcbi6RUq6iW6eaVSeH4WB0-cOP6_oMojadzW0fHt2NYplSiHEHO5uIQq5FGMbi7SDrpdjjGohmldecy0hh-UzelEARhzEJ_B5iL10ZtZjElB11K0IrLqwjNT_gMFToLyPX909HvXRb4INKW7Ozx7MwPFzBc8mpNmW6kFZuRp0QQRI5Q9aMNj9aDk-MnUCXvxyRcAJdzOMe3ZPOrvD8kEuXTxKln0iY48cRAoa49OjxlXE9pnqqm62_DBFvzStDCP2OF-a47WTqBIebHXRn7lCdt_FO52EUOEqVI4YfNrmbMaSJ8Y6k9JBi0k4-gYFTbXwZHiU1Jw=w518-h919-no

Jul 7, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #2,658 of 7,695
o: I'm looking at nighthawks and nightowls in that review as well. :c owl is like $700

I think 99c is good enough for me right now.

Let me tell you something from an owner of the NightOwl headphones. They are fantastic. But having the Meze 99C, the Oppo PM-3, the Viso HP50, Crossfade Wireless 2...yeah...

If you have one or more of the listed headphones, I'm in the camp of serious diminishing rate of return; Owl sounds great, but even after two months of (very) extensive listening the jury's still out if it was worth $700.

The Owl has a lush midrange and fun bass. What really gets me is the treble roll-off to where it sounds similar to Meze or even the HP50. Also, I get the same "dark" feeling that everyone talks about when it comes to Sennheiser's HD600. And maybe it's because my amps consist of a Sound Blaster E5/ZXR, and a NAD D 1050, but the level of refinement and transparency for the NightOwl just isn't quite there. Sure I can hear things better than all the other closed back headphones but the Meze and Crossfade 2 don't miss any details that the NightOwl pick up.

So don't feel like you're missing out on that much. I somewhat regret spending that much on the NightOwl. With all of that said, it was simply worth the insatiable curiosity. If you want to imagine how they sound relative to the 99C point of view....or hearing...take the 99C, reduce the bass a good amount. And then make the space inside the cup a bit bigger for a slightly bigger sound stage. With that you're in the ballpark of how the NightOwl sounds like.

Oh...And I LOVE PowerAmp.

Jul 7, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #2,659 of 7,695
Let me tell you something from an owner of the NightOwl headphones. They are fantastic. But having the Meze 99C, the Oppo PM-3, the Viso HP50, Crossfade Wireless 2...yeah...

If you have one or more of the listed headphones, I'm in the camp of serious diminishing rate of return; Owl sounds great, but even after two months of (very) extensive listening the jury's still out if it was worth $700.

The Owl has a lush midrange and fun bass. What really gets me is the treble roll-off to where it sounds similar to Meze or even the HP50. Also, I get the same "dark" feeling that everyone talks about when it comes to Sennheiser's HD600. And maybe it's because my amps consist of a Sound Blaster E5/ZXR, and a NAD D 1050, but the level of refinement and transparency for the NightOwl just isn't quite there. Sure I can hear things better than all the other closed back headphones but the Meze and Crossfade 2 don't miss any details that the NightOwl pick up.

So don't feel like you're missing out on that much. I somewhat regret spending that much on the NightOwl. With all of that said, it was simply worth the insatiable curiosity. If you want to imagine how they sound relative to the 99C point of view....or hearing...take the 99C, reduce the bass a good amount. And then make the space inside the cup a bit bigger for a slightly bigger sound stage. With that you're in the ballpark of how the NightOwl sounds like.

Oh...And I LOVE PowerAmp.

Yeah I've tried several others, but I always go back to Poweramp in the end. I wouldn't mind its EQ being parametric, but I can live with it not being that.

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #2,663 of 7,695
is meze 99 maple white not available any more?

I don't think it is. Maybe it wasn't selling enough??

Someone just posted a used one in pretty good condition on eBay though. See here if interested. Note that it has the ORIGINAL pads which are not as large as the current ones are. If you want the larger ear pads (which for me would be a must), then you may not want to buy it since I don't know if they made larger ones in the Silver Maple color.

Oh, found some news ones too.

https://www.eglobalcentral.com/meze...U__W5HPNkyGNBsXvY1twOcFrPdpfLk0caAlcgEALw_wcB

https://www.ubertronica.com/index.p...k8LxPRFFeocRqAHzF_ThRcEtPCsgjFuEaAvyhEALw_wcB

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #2,665 of 7,695
We stocked up! (The maple is my color of preference actually)

NICE Craig!

Do you know if these have the newer LARGER ear pads or the original smaller ones? If not, I can find out from Meze too as I know a couple of the people working there now (not personally, but have talked to them multiple times via e-mail).

Jul 11, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #2,666 of 7,695
NICE Craig!

Do you know if these have the newer LARGER ear pads or the original smaller ones? If not, I can find out from Meze too as I know a couple of the people working there now (not personally, but have talked to them multiple times via e-mail).
I'm pretty sure these are the original Meze 99's, and have the smaller pads. Whats interesting is that they seem to be in difference box then the walnuts... I am not really sure why ha. We bought them all at the same time though, and it was before the larger pad was offered.

Edit: I realize it is the same box... I couldn't see the seal on it, but I do now. Same boxes! ha

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 11, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #2,667 of 7,695
I'm pretty sure these are the original Meze 99's, and have the smaller pads. Whats interesting is that they seem to be in difference box then the walnuts... I am not really sure why ha. We bought them all at the same time though, and it was before the larger pad was offered.

Edit: I realize it is the same box... I couldn't see the seal on it, but I do now. Same boxes! ha

Yeah I'm guessing that too, especially if you bought them a while back.

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #2,669 of 7,695
Well, my second NuForce HA-200 arrived today.. Not even plugged in yet!

dual HA.jpg

I ordered some of the mono cable connectors for the headphones from Meze last week, just waiting for those to arrive and then I can start making my new balanced cables up. XLRs are on the way, paracord is already here, and I have a couple of options for cable choice. Can't wait to hear the Meze's running from proper monoblocks! Am looking forward to getting the cables made too.

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #2,670 of 7,695
Well, my second NuForce HA-200 arrived today.. Not even plugged in yet!

I ordered some of the mono cable connectors for the headphones from Meze last week, just waiting for those to arrive and then I can start making my new balanced cables up. XLRs are on the way, paracord is already here, and I have a couple of options for cable choice. Can't wait to hear the Meze's running from proper monoblocks! Am looking forward to getting the cables made too.

You're one trickster with a cool looking setup there! Really curious what your sonic impressions will be with monoblocks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back