Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jul 6, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #2,641 of 7,695
I agree. 9 times out of 10, it would make logical sense to use the local distributor, but in this case, A&K's Romanian distributor shouted at a respected reviewer and A&K should step in.

I have been chatting to advancedmp3players.co.uk, whom I buy pretty much all of my stuff from about getting an A&K KANN or an Opus#2. I think my decision is now made.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #2,642 of 7,695
I agree. 9 times out of 10, it would make logical sense to use the local distributor, but in this case, A&K's Romanian distributor shouted at a respected reviewer and A&K should step in.

I have been chatting to advancedmp3players.co.uk, whom I buy pretty much all of my stuff from about getting an A&K KANN or an Opus#2. I think my decision is now made.

I personally love my Opus #2, it's my daily player and sounds excellent with everything. But I would be interested to see how it compares to the Kann.

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #2,643 of 7,695
Have you heard the iBasso DX200? I found it too clinical for me, even with the AMP2 and have read the Opus#2 is a bit more organic.

I have a deal open for the Opus#2 but will have to take it up by tomorrow.

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #2,644 of 7,695
Have you heard the iBasso DX200? I found it too clinical for me, even with the AMP2 and have read the Opus#2 is a bit more organic.

I have a deal open for the Opus#2 but will have to take it up by tomorrow.

Unfortunately not heard the DX200,

But the Opus #2 drives the Meze 99 Classic really well and make for a great pairing (keeping the thread on track :wink: )

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #2,645 of 7,695
I personally love my Opus #2, it's my daily player and sounds excellent with everything. But I would be interested to see how it compares to the Kann.

I don't undermine AK's products, I am curious as well! They might make some of the best players out there!

I also think that them handling things to their local sellers is a good idea, but in this unique case, it won't work. The same seller sells Ultrasone and I contacted Ultrasone directly and they were some of the most firendly people in the world when I spoke with them!

Unfortunately not heard the DX200,

But the Opus #2 drives the Meze 99 Classic really well and make for a great pairing (keeping the thread on track :wink: )

I have opus #3 and it is super awesome with 99 Classics!

Totally recommend the pairing!

Jul 7, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #2,648 of 7,695
WOOP WOOP!

Very pleased, I've been able to source a second Nuforce HA-200 headphone amp, brand new and ordered from a very nice man in Germany, works out far cheaper than I can get one for in the UK. As soon as it arrives, I can run my 99C's from fully balanced monoblocks! My dac has proper balanced preamp outputs, the HA200s then run as proper monoblocks using their balanced inputs, and have individual balanced XLR outputs on each one.

So - I would appreciate some advice..

Meze, if you're listening, any progress on your official balanced cables?? I know I'd need to modify them, to have two individual XLR connectors, but that's certainly an option.

Failing that.. the question is whether to make up my own cables using Meze connectors for the headphone end, and dual XLRs for the other.. any advice on cable for this and where to buy (UK) would be appreciated - I'm tempted as I'm ok with a soldering iron etc.

All suggestions appreciated..

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #2,649 of 7,695
I don't undermine AK's products, I am curious as well! They might make some of the best players out there!

I also think that them handling things to their local sellers is a good idea, but in this unique case, it won't work. The same seller sells Ultrasone and I contacted Ultrasone directly and they were some of the most firendly people in the world when I spoke with them!

I have opus #3 and it is super awesome with 99 Classics!

Totally recommend the pairing!

Too funny............

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...ser-meze-audio-technica-mr-speakers-best-hair

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #2,653 of 7,695
o: I'm looking at nighthawks and nightowls in that review as well. :c owl is like $700

I think 99c is good enough for me right now.

I like EQ'ed 99C way more than nighthawks. Considerably more... This is something like a major achievement for Meze since they are less expensive than Night creature ones.

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #2,654 of 7,695
I like EQ'ed 99C way more than nighthawks. Considerably more... This is something like a major achievement for Meze since they are less expensive than Night creature ones.
That is crazy!!! I will definitely start playing around with some of your presets and tweak them a bit.

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #2,655 of 7,695
That is crazy!!! I will definitely start playing around with some of your presets and tweak them a bit.

Hey George and JaeYoon,

I am in the process of writing a review of my 99s. I have decided to keep them and sell off my AKG K551s. A major factor in this decision was the assistance I received from both you George and akg fanboy on this site (and through the help of Meze themselves in getting me in touch with George!). I was able to take George's and akg's advice and come up with my own EQ which I'm VERY happy with. akg fanboy and I are in final talks to tweak it a bit more, but I don't think it really needs it anymore, but he will get back to me soon on it. Anyway, JaeYoon if you like, I can post the new EQ (from Poweramp) here so you can try it out. But when my reviews hits it will most definitely include the new EQ. Let me know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back