Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Apr 18, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #2,221 of 7,681
Apr 18, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #2,222 of 7,681
Your best bet is to frequently check availability on eBay and/or Amazon and/or Audiogon.  WRT the first two, watch out for scammers!!!!  I've seen an influx of such types, especially on Amazon.  As the saying goes, if it seems too good to be true, it is!

A realistic price for used 99s is between $220 - $280.  Any higher, you may as well get them new directly from Meze.  Any lower is likely a scam.

Good luck, once you get them, you'll be happy, guaranteed!!!!

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #2,223 of 7,681
That was my first thought as well and I have been looking into it, but it is an expensive option right after I just got my Ei.3. The 99C cost less and might feel more like a compliment rather than a replacement.

For sure. The 99C won't feel nearly as bad as an IEM. But an open-back will feel even better for sensitive ears.

ADEL feels like an open-back. :wink:

Apr 18, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #2,224 of 7,681
For sure. The 99C won't feel nearly as bad as an IEM. But an open-back will feel even better for sensitive ears.

ADEL feels like an open-back.
wink.gif

Thanks again! I am seeing my audiologist later this week and will discuss it with her. Depending on her advice I might have to consider ADEL as an investment in my hearing.

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #2,226 of 7,681
  Your best bet is to frequently check availability on eBay and/or Amazon and/or Audiogon.  WRT the first two, watch out for scammers!!!!  I've seen an influx of such types, especially on Amazon.  As the saying goes, if it seems too good to be true, it is!

A realistic price for used 99s is between $220 - $280.  Any higher, you may as well get them new directly from Meze.  Any lower is likely a scam.

Good luck, once you get them, you'll be happy, guaranteed!!!!

...or you could go for the new Meze 99 Neo, which sells (very soon) for $250 new...  I liked the 99C a TINY BIT more, but difference is very small, and only noticeable when you A/B them.

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #2,227 of 7,681
Someone right here is selling a pair!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/843779/fs-ft-meze-99-classics-walnut-gold-looking-for-iems 

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #2,228 of 7,681
I'm almost done writing my iFi iDSD BL review, and this should come in handy to most people who like Meze headphones! 

Haggard – Chapter I / As The Heaven Wept – The song is difficult for most setups as Haggard uses many instruments in their songs, most of times only a few of the instruments sounding right. On iDSD + 99N, each instrument is rendered well in its own layer, while the bass brings a magical power to the whole song. The guitars are sweet but they clearly keep their own place and when the piano becomes the foreground instrument, each key pressed has the convincing tune of a grand piano. There is a specific resonance that the piano used has in reality and iDSD + 99N manages to reproduce it fairly well, and what's even more, I'm using them with no EQ while taking this impression! The male voice has the right amount of attack and warmth while every scream carries the emotional attachment well.

Apr 18, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #2,229 of 7,681

...or you could go for the new Meze 99 Neo, which sells (very soon) for $250 new...  I liked the 99C a TINY BIT more, but difference is very small, and only noticeable when you A/B them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B018VZBH5M/ref=sr_1_3_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1492562780&sr=8-3&keywords=meze+99+classics

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #2,230 of 7,681
  Does anyone ever experience pressure issues with these because they are closed-back headphones?

I ask because I recently got myself a set of CIEMs and to my great frustration started suffering from what appears to be pressure related issues in my left ear. Not quite tinnitus, but something similar and it feels very uncomfortable to have my CIEMs in now. I rely a lot on music to manage my ADHD so I need to find a solution where I can still enjoy music and not make things worse. The 99C are the first headphones I have ever been interested in and they might be a good way to reduce my reliance on IEMs. I just have no experience with them and do not know if closed-back headphones can also build up pressure.

Could you describe the issue a bit more? Do you mean a building pressure from just wearing the headphones, or bumps of pressure from bass notes?

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #2,231 of 7,681

Could you describe the issue a bit more? Do you mean a building pressure from just wearing the headphones, or bumps of pressure from bass notes?

I think it might be from having tightly sealing CIEMs in. I can wear them for a bit, but then slowly I start loosing clarity in my left ear after about half an hour to an hour. When I take my CIEMs out the feeling stays and feels a bit like I have water in my ear. That feeling where you want to shake it loose. When I read up on ADEL they explain that pneumatic pressure might cause a tightening of the muscles around the eardrum, which sounds like that could be it. It has been improving because I listen to music a lot less, but that is not doing my head much good. That is why I am considering headphones as a way to reduce my use of IEMs. I do like a bit of bass and a fun signature, which is why I am interested in the 99C.

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #2,232 of 7,681

I think it might be from having tightly sealing CIEMs in. I can wear them for a bit, but then slowly I start loosing clarity in my left ear after about half an hour to an hour. When I take my CIEMs out the feeling stays and feels a bit like I have water in my ear. That feeling where you want to shake it loose. When I read up on ADEL they explain that pneumatic pressure might cause a tightening of the muscles around the eardrum, which sounds like that could be it. It has been improving because I listen to music a lot less, but that is not doing my head much good. That is why I am considering headphones as a way to reduce my use of IEMs. I do like a bit of bass and a fun signature, which is why I am interested in the 99C.

I have been experiencing the same issue for the last couple of months.  I've had to move away from IEMs as well.  I got the Meze about a week ago, and I have had very little issue with ear discomfort.  I say go for these as the comfort is good and the sound quality is great.  More detailed than I expected them to be, but still a fun sound.

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #2,233 of 7,681
  I have been experiencing the same issue for the last couple of months.  I've had to move away from IEMs as well.  I got the Meze about a week ago, and I have had very little issue with ear discomfort.  I say go for these as the comfort is good and the sound quality is great.  More detailed than I expected them to be, but still a fun sound.

Thanks for sharing your experience, very helpful!

I just got back from the audiologist and it is indeed a pressure issue, probably because I use my CIEMs too much (up to 10 hours a day). Nothing too bad, just the eardrum getting pushed against the bones behind it (if I understood it correctly). The advice was to reduce my use of IEMs. So I can either try headphones or else one of the IEMs with ADEL, APEX or the upcoming GOVNOR modules. Will have to consult the "Bank of Mrs" to see what will be best. I think the Meze might be the simplest solution and if it helps you, then that is encouraging it will be worth a try. Plus, they look like so nice. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #2,234 of 7,681
I was wondering how the meze 99's look on your head if you have thick longer hair. I do own the akg 612 pro's and they also have that auto adjestable headband thing the meze 99 classic's, but it squishes my hair down a lot and make head look square shaped. Looks pretty ugly. I wonder if i will encounter the same problem with the meze's?

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #2,235 of 7,681
I was wondering how the meze 99's look on your head if you have thick longer hair. I do own the akg 612 pro's and they also have that auto adjestable headband thing the meze 99 classic's, but it squishes my hair down a lot and make head look square shaped. Looks pretty ugly. I wonder if i will encounter the same problem with the meze's?

The headband is far more rounded on Meze 99 

Might squish your hair, depending on the hairstyle, but will not look square 
biggrin.gif

I'm able to shake my hair back in shape quickly as I noticed after using them for a good while now 
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back