Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Apr 15, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #2,206 of 7,704
Hey,

thanks to everyone for giving us great Impressions of these Headphones, because of you i was able to narrow my wishlist down to 2 of them.
I am interested, in a mobile closed one, with a fun sounding but still detailed character.

Since i cant find anywhere a comparison, has anybody heard the Meze 99 Classics against the B&O H6?
Or got both of them and can state the differences?

Thanks a lot!

I don't know how close the H6 is to the H9, but I reviewed the H9, comparing it with the Meze 99 Classics.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/beoplay-h9-wireless-noise-cancelling-over-ear-headpone/reviews/18322

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #2,208 of 7,704
These two are entirely different headphones. I demoed B&O H6 and B&W P7 wireless side by side. H6 has a very detailed presentation with a very big soundstage for a closed headphone. The instrument separation is awesome.
The bass is definitely there, but not overpowering. ( would say lacking at times to my taste. Bumping up the volume for bass causes ear fatigue. ). Reasonably easy to drive. This is the v2 version.
The P7 has a more narrow presentation with excellent controlled bass. The instrument separation is not as great. A bit congested.
I could not decide on either and wanted something right in between. And that is where the 99 classics come.
I would suggest you listen to both. Someday, I might get a H6 to compliment the 99 classics.

Thank you for your Conclusion.

Unfortunately i dont got the possibility to test the Meze and B&O side by side, since nobody in my region sells both.
So iam asking for the differences between B&O H6 and Meze 99 Classics and decide based on them.
If anyone else here got some input, let me know.

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #2,209 of 7,704

Unfortunately i dont got the possibility to test the Meze and B&O side by side, since nobody in my region sells both.
So iam asking for the differences between B&O H6 and Meze 99 Classics and decide based on them.

Uhm, I don't even know what type of signature H6 goes for, but I'm using 99 Classics and it is able to keep up with ie800 texture and detail wise. 

The signature is unique on 99C, but after hearing them with iDSD BL, I'm kinda addicted to that detailed, well layered, and well extended bass. 

99C is a safe option in my eyes as you get the technical aspects of the sound right and if you feel you need a change in sound, they can be EQ-ed without any distortion so you have a pretty reliable and versatile set. 

\When testing something, I always recommend complicated tracks, like this one 
gs1000.gif

Apr 16, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #2,210 of 7,704

If you can't try both, choose h6 if you want:
1. Wide sound stage. Each instrument can be placed in the soundscape
2. Excellent detail.
3. Comfort.

Not that Meze lacks in these departments, but H6 is better.
Choose Meze if you want:
1. More musical signature.
2. Fun bass.

Another factor is, if you are going to listen just out of your phone or laptop, Meze is definitely the way to go. But, H6 will scale better with an external amp as there is a lot of scope for improvement there.

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #2,211 of 7,704
Quick update on the cable sitch.  The Meze team has contacted me to let me know they are sending the correct (updated) cable with no fabric above the split.  5 stars for customer service!!!!!!!

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #2,212 of 7,704
  Quick update on the cable sitch.  The Meze team has contacted me to let me know they are sending the correct (updated) cable with no fabric above the split.  5 stars for customer service!!!!!!!

Good stuff! I'm glad you got taken care of and gave a shout out to them. It's nice to hear when a company does a good job, trust me...

Apr 17, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #2,214 of 7,704
  Good stuff! I'm glad you got taken care of and gave a shout out to them. It's nice to hear when a company does a good job, trust me...

Credit where credit is due! They keep up the good work (and the good products), and I'm a customer for life.

As a side note, I will add that I had a similar positive experience with the folks at Master & Dynamic. I bought a used pair on eBay that was missing the 1/4 inch adapter.  When I inquired as to how to get one, they asked for my address, and a few days later, FedEx dropped it off at my door.  

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #2,215 of 7,704
Heya folks,

I've been thinking of getting into headphones after a long stint in IEMs - sigh, this site 
tongue.gif

Anyhow, have had a read through this read over the past few days - thanks for all your impressions and comparisons! The 99 Classics look like a great place to start! 

So I'm looking to pick one up but haven't seen many on the classifieds... Anyone wanna let go of theirs? Please drop me a PM.

Apr 18, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #2,216 of 7,704
  Heya folks,

I've been thinking of getting into headphones after a long stint in IEMs - sigh, this site 
tongue.gif

Anyhow, have had a read through this read over the past few days - thanks for all your impressions and comparisons! The 99 Classics look like a great place to start! 

So I'm looking to pick one up but haven't seen many on the classifieds... Anyone wanna let go of theirs? Please drop me a PM.

good luck with your search, it's not easy to find one 99 classic in the market

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #2,217 of 7,704
Does anyone ever experience pressure issues with these because they are closed-back headphones?

I ask because I recently got myself a set of CIEMs and to my great frustration started suffering from what appears to be pressure related issues in my left ear. Not quite tinnitus, but something similar and it feels very uncomfortable to have my CIEMs in now. I rely a lot on music to manage my ADHD so I need to find a solution where I can still enjoy music and not make things worse. The 99C are the first headphones I have ever been interested in and they might be a good way to reduce my reliance on IEMs. I just have no experience with them and do not know if closed-back headphones can also build up pressure.

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #2,218 of 7,704
Does anyone ever experience pressure issues with these because they are closed-back headphones?

I ask because I recently got myself a set of CIEMs and to my great frustration started suffering from what appears to be pressure related issues in my left ear. Not quite tinnitus, but something similar and it feels very uncomfortable to have my CIEMs in now. I rely a lot on music to manage my ADHD so I need to find a solution where I can still enjoy music and not make things worse. The 99C are the first headphones I have ever been interested in and they might be a good way to reduce my reliance on IEMs. I just have no experience with them and do not know if closed-back headphones can also build up pressure.

I suggest you go for an Empire Ears IEM with ADEL tech. That pressure will never bother you again.

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #2,219 of 7,704
I suggest you go for an Empire Ears IEM with ADEL tech. That pressure will never bother you again.

That was my first thought as well and I have been looking into it, but it is an expensive option right after I just got my Ei.3. The 99C cost less and might feel more like a compliment rather than a replacement.

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #2,220 of 7,704
  Heya folks,

tongue.gif

I don't see anyone giving up on theirs, just shows how much we all love this headphone! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back