Metrum Pavane
Mar 17, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #526 of 682
My DAC's are always on, they only improve with time and warming up takes looong , especially with R2R (somehow)

Mar 17, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #527 of 682
I think the reason why it's "warm" is because of the characteristics contributed by using the USB module on the metrum L3 pavane. You'll need a better digital transport to see what the L3 pavane is capable of. I would recommend replacing the USB with the i2s module that you've ordered. If you do not want to spend $$$ on the ambre, I would highly recommend getting the Pi2AES with the add-on RJ45 i2s module - it's compatible with the metrum pavane's RJ45 i2s input. From my experience and a few others, I2s of the pavane is superior to the rest of the inputs. With i2s, the treble and the edges are a little bit polished compared to the others - not a huge difference but it's noticeable. Once you've switched from using the USB to i2s, you'll notice improved transparency, blacker background, more balanced sound, less laid back and veiled being lifted. The metrum pavane is quite sensitive to the quality of your digital input. Also, the XLR output is slightly superior to the single ended connection.

Ive read about the XLR outputs being better because the SE are coupled to a pretty poor transformer (it’s not Sowter or something). Unfortunately the amps I’m thinking about pairing it with are all SE. I do have a Liquid Platinum that is fully balanced but that seems like such a mismatch in terms of performance.

As for the I2S I’m still waiting for my module to ship. I haven’t been able to find even a used one online to buy from. No communication from Metrum. I know Cees is still working on getting operations up and running so just waiting on that. I don’t mind spending the money on the Amber because even if I go with the Pi2AES I still need a good LPS. Right now I’m building a VitOS box which improves on the USB a bit because it has less latency than other Roon OSes like Ropieee.

Since writing that I’ve gotten quite used to the NOS sound and I appreciate how detailed it is without pushing it in your face. The Yggdrasil could kind of do that (my Chord Qutest def did that’s why I sold it). The sense of space and non fatiguing sound is quite incredible and the bass slam is amazing.

I’ve spoken to Zach from ZMF and the only balanced amp he can recommend that he’s personally tried is an ECP 4 Ravenswood but the creator is one guy and it takes a long time to make and the website is kind of sparse. Basically, slim pickings for high impedance headphones if I’m looking to go balanced.

Thanks for all your help!

Mar 17, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #528 of 682
Ive read about the XLR outputs being better because the SE are coupled to a pretty poor transformer (it’s not Sowter or something). Unfortunately the amps I’m thinking about pairing it with are all SE. I do have a Liquid Platinum that is fully balanced but that seems like such a mismatch in terms of performance.

As for the I2S I’m still waiting for my module to ship. I haven’t been able to find even a used one online to buy from. No communication from Metrum. I know Cees is still working on getting operations up and running so just waiting on that. I don’t mind spending the money on the Amber because even if I go with the Pi2AES I still need a good LPS. Right now I’m building a VitOS box which improves on the USB a bit because it has less latency than other Roon OSes like Ropieee.

Since writing that I’ve gotten quite used to the NOS sound and I appreciate how detailed it is without pushing it in your face. The Yggdrasil could kind of do that (my Chord Qutest def did that’s why I sold it). The sense of space and non fatiguing sound is quite incredible and the bass slam is amazing.

I’ve spoken to Zach from ZMF and the only balanced amp he can recommend that he’s personally tried is an ECP 4 Ravenswood but the creator is one guy and it takes a long time to make and the website is kind of sparse. Basically, slim pickings for high impedance headphones if I’m looking to go balanced.

Thanks for all your help!
I've tried the liquid platinum before and it's definitely a weak component that's not a good match for the pavane/adagio. I've tried various tube rolling on the platinum and the changes were subtle at best. I find it's a really boring and laid back headphone amplifier. Balanced SS amplifiers like the Jot 2 or Byrston BHA-1 works great with the metrum's XLR out but I'm not sure how it'll synergize with your Eikon. You could also try making a custom XLR to SE cable for your pavane. Extra caution and attention must be used when wiring XLR pins to the SE terminals. There's a special way to make that conversion cable. Could possibly damage your equipment if its internal is wired incorrectly.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #529 of 682
I've tried the liquid platinum before and it's definitely a weak component that's not a good match for the pavane/adagio. I've tried various tube rolling on the platinum and the changes were subtle at best. I find it's a really boring and laid back headphone amplifier. Balanced SS amplifiers like the Jot 2 or Byrston BHA-1 works great with the metrum's XLR out but I'm not sure how it'll synergize with your Eikon. You could also try making a custom XLR to SE cable for your pavane. Extra caution and attention must be used when wiring XLR pins to the SE terminals. There's a special way to make that conversion cable. Could possibly damage your equipment if its internal is wired incorrectly. If you need more detail, I could provide more info via PM.

If you do decide to go with Pi2AES, there's the Shanti dual linear ultra low noise PSU sold by Allo that should be a good option https://allo.com/sparky/shanti.html

Ill look into those cables. Doesn’t seem that hard to make one. Any recommended brand of wire? Is there any quality loss by going with that? If I can go single ended than that opens up a ton of different amps that synergize better with a high impedance headphone.

It looks like pi2AES isn’t selling the adapter anymore but I guess it’s pretty easy to make with a 7 pin hookup wire to the main Pi2AES board. Finally my I2S module shipped. Will be installing this weekend.

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #530 of 682
I think any balanced XLR cable should do. Interesting the Pi2 Design doesn't sell the adapter anymore - maybe not enough sale to justify production.

Here's some stuff to read
https://crookwood.com/blog/dealing-with-unbalanced-gear-in-the-studio/

I'm just copying and pasting from a helpful user Skem at another website. For the Pavane, you're looking at case 4 or 6.

There are 6 cases for connecting balanced and unbalanced without a transformer:

1. Connecting mains floating unbalanced outputs to mains grounded balanced inputs.
  2. Connecting mains grounded unbalanced outputs to mains grounded balanced inputs.
  3. Connecting floating balanced outputs to floating unbalanced inputs.
  4. Connecting hard balanced outputs to floating unbalanced inputs.
  5. Connecting floating balanced outputs to mains grounded unbalanced inputs.
  6. Connecting hard balanced outputs to mains grounded unbalanced inputs.
In all these cases, follow these basic rules:
  1. Always use balanced cable ( two internal wires, a hot wire and cold wire, plus a separate screen).
  2. If you’re wiring to a stereo jack, use two balanced cables, not one.
  3. At the unbalanced end, always connect the hot wire to the output or input pin, and the cold wire to the ground pin.
  4. At the balanced end, connect the hot wire to the hot pin (XLR pin 2), and the cold wire to the cold pin (XLR pin 3) – unless it’s a hard balanced output, in which case connect it to the shield pin (XLR pin 1).
4. Connecting hard balanced outputs to floating unbalanced inputs
  • At the unbalanced input, do not connect the screen wire to anything.
  • At the balanced output, connect the screen wire to the screen pin ( XLR pin 1).
  • At the balanced output, leave XLR pin 3 unattached – the cold wire should be attached to the screen pin ( XLR pin 1).
Note: leaving pin 3 floating lets the hard balanced circuit work properly.

6. Connecting hard balanced outputs to mains grounded unbalanced inputs
  • At the unbalanced input, connect the screen wire to the input ground pin.
  • At the balanced output, connect the screen wire to the screen pin ( XLR pin 1).
  • At the balanced output, leave XLR pin 3 unattached – the cold wire should be attached to the screen pin ( XLR pin 1).
Note: leaving pin 3 floating lets the hard balanced circuit work properly, and by connecting the grounds at both ends, you maximise RF rejection and minimise hum.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #532 of 682
OK, I realise I am ‘old’, but can’t see how to post a ‘New’ post but only as to ‘Reply’ to an existing post. (Have posted before).
Any advise use as to actually posting a new matter, particularly that just ‘adding’ to an existing post will probably not get results.
I have only just seen that ‘Metrum’ is no more.
Finished. Most disappointed, but nothing I can do.
Any idea as to getting ‘service’.
The Metrum Pavane ‘see’ the USB input but will not ‘lock on’. The ‘red light’ stays on. (Has always been temperamental as to ‘locking on’).
Any ideas as to ‘service’, (particularly as to this particular issue). I am in Australia.

Mar 18, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #533 of 682
OK, I realise I am ‘old’, but can’t see how to post a ‘New’ post but only as to ‘Reply’ to an existing post. (Have posted before).
Any advise use as to actually posting a new matter, particularly that just ‘adding’ to an existing post will probably not get results.
The Metrum Pavane ‘see’ the USB input but will not ‘lock on’. The ‘red light’ stays on. (Has always been temperamental as to ‘locking on’).
Any ideas as to ‘service’, (particularly as to this particular issue). I am in Australia.
Where did you see Metrum is no more? They went 'bust' but are now resurrected under new management...
Did you try contact Metrum?

Mar 18, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #534 of 682
Where did you see Metrum is no more? They went 'bust' but are now resurrected under new management...
Did you try contact Metrum?
Seemingly all the Metrum aspects are not contactable. I did try.
Apparently it is a new company & making different products.
Does anyone find the problem that I now have as to the ‘red light’ staying on in not having connected properly.

Mar 18, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #535 of 682
the website is back up since months now, think you need to exercise some patience as they are still getting their act back together.

meanwhile; you did try a different USB cable?

Mar 23, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #536 of 682

I had issues with Metrum USB inputs when my PC was waking up from sleep. I had to unplug the USB cable and plug it back in every time.

Apr 25, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #538 of 682
Hey all!

A nice Head-Fi'er sold me a Pavane L3 recently for a great price, so I'm excited to join you all as a Pavane owner!

I had issues with Metrum USB inputs when my PC was waking up from sleep. I had to unplug the USB cable and plug it back in every time.
I read on another forum that it was a problem with the Windows drivers. I have the same problem, but I'm not planning on sticking with a USB source long-term, so it's not a huge deal.

Also, I know a few have received and posted their thoughts on the new DAC3 module upgrade available directly from Metrum. If anyone else has them or are receiving them soon, I'd love to hear your comparisons and thoughts!

Dec 5, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #539 of 682
Hello everyone.

So, I have a Pavane L3 who's USB input was sacrificed for an i2s connection. As some of you know, this connection is the rj45.
As a USB/SPDIF converter, I am using the Audiophilleo 2 and outputting to the BNC input of the Pavane.

Everything sounds wonderful going to my Luxman p-750u driving the HE 1000se. However, because wonderful is now not good enough, I am considering upgrading the digital to digital conversion and replacing the Audiophilleo with something that outputs i2s via rj45 connection.

I was thinking maybe a Denafrips Hermes? ... whatever, doesn't matter. My question is, will this make an improvement or am I just wasting my time? Has anyone noticed an improvement in their Pavane by upgrading the digital to digital conversion before the signal reaches the Pavane?

Thanks.

Dec 5, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #540 of 682
Hello everyone.

So, I have a Pavane L3 who's USB input was sacrificed for an i2s connection. As some of you know, this connection is the rj45.
As a USB/SPDIF converter, I am using the Audiophilleo 2 and outputting to the BNC input of the Pavane.

Everything sounds wonderful going to my Luxman p-750u driving the HE 1000se. However, because wonderful is now not good enough, I am considering upgrading the digital to digital conversion and replacing the Audiophilleo with something that outputs i2s via rj45 connection.

I was thinking maybe a Denafrips Hermes? ... whatever, doesn't matter. My question is, will this make an improvement or am I just wasting my time? Has anyone noticed an improvement in their Pavane by upgrading the digital to digital conversion before the signal reaches the Pavane?

Thanks.
There have been huge strides in the ddc world since the audiophilleo 2. I feel the audiophilleo device is near obsolescence . Even the Singxer SU-1 or the schiit eitr trumps the audiophilleo in sound quality. Perhaps consider getting the metrum ambre as it ouputs i2s via rj45 connection. I've tried the su-1, eitr, and the Pi2AES with my adagio and the Pi2aes sounded the best out of the bunch. The difference between I2s vs AES out of the Pi2aes feeding the adagio was very very small - it's just slightly noticeable. Also, I the singxer su-1 is a bad match for the adagio (pavane) - too thick and muddy sounding. The Pi2AES would be the safest bet. Check out goldensound's ddc comparison video:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back