Metrum Pavane
Aug 5, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #421 of 682
That’s true about snake ool but since he designed the adagio and the pavanne, and thenI left to design something that’s a fraction of the cost of that and says it’s better, that’s why I’d say I’d let my ear is tell me and not him. What’s he going to say? I have a new product that’s 25% less than what I just designed but it doesn’t sound as good?

The markup in audio is obscene. Material cost for devices thay cost thousands may be well under <£500. I wouldn't allow the price to be indicative.

But it sounds like you've made your mind up. What a shame.

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #423 of 682
Have now heard from Cees. The DAC performance will match that of Adagio/Pavane and may exceed that.

Sounds like a winner for the money...

Thanks for sharing, I think it’s important to understand what ‘DAC performance’ would mean in this context:
1) Performance of one new DAC module card (vs one Metrum DAC TWO module)
2) Performance of the DAC section of the RoonDAC (with 2 modules) compared with 8 modules of the Adagio/Pavane.
3) Performance of a DAC section with 4 ‘Sonnet’ modules vs 4 DAC TWO modules
4) Performance of the RoonDAC as a device (taking all other components and implementation into account: power, software, clock, etc etc)

Imho the RoonDAC is very interesting in ALL cases above. That said, as the RoonDAC is a different product (with Endpoint and DAC combined), SQ wise it will be impossible to make an one-on-one comparison with Metrum products (perhaps it’s better to have a separate RoonDAC / Sonnet Digital Audio topic..)

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #424 of 682
Good idea. New thread needed. Will you start it please with the information we have to hand?

Aug 5, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #426 of 682
Please feel free to start a topic :relaxed:

I am on holiday and have only my mobile so it'll be a PITA to copy the links etc. Will do it in 2 weeks when we get home if no-one else has.

Aug 5, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #429 of 682
Also if it supposed to compete with DAC’s in the $2000 - $3000 price point than that in itself would say it doesn’t compete with the Pavane and Adagio since they are significantly more money.

Also separate components sound better die to isolating the internals, and especially the power supplies.

It’s easy for him to say his new product sounds better as whose going to really compare them? Anyone else has those two DAC’s are not gonna sell it to buy this new product.

I’m sure it will sound nice, but it’s not gonna sound better.

Aug 5, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #430 of 682
I find it a bit disconcerting that over these years we haven't seen any independent technical assessment of Metrum gear. Because of it I suspect they have something to hide, otherwise they would have sent their product to say Stereophile. It may sound "nice" but do you really know what you're listening to? Sure, there is that argument that what you hear is what really counts, but I'm not going to buy that. Money is a very bad indicator of anything, speaking of that Totaldisaster.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #431 of 682
I find it a bit disconcerting that over these years we haven't seen any independent technical assessment of Metrum gear. Because of it I suspect they have something to hide, otherwise they would have sent their product to say Stereophile. It may sound "nice" but do you really know what you're listening to? Sure, there is that argument that what you hear is what really counts, but I'm not going to buy that.

Wow. That's got to be the craziest thing I've ever read.

So you can listen to something nice but you don't really believe it's nice because you need a magazine to write about and tell you it's nice it so that you can really know if was you think sounds nice is real nice. You need for someone to tell you what you're listening too?

Do you think your girlfriend is pretty, or do you need to have someone tell you that to believe it?

Aug 5, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #434 of 682
Testing also does not take into account your own personal taste. What if you like something that’s more forward, or more laid-back, or more bass, or more shimmering highs. You can’t tell any of that from a test.

In addition, it’s also how it plays with the other components that you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back