Metrum Pavane
Aug 12, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #91 of 682
For your last question, personally I think Pavane is better than the YGG as I compared it to my fds's YGG. The details and micro dynamics of the music and very much in the same level but the Pavane has a slightly (just a little) more 3D and open soundstage. And I will say YGG is very real and neutral while Pavane is real and beautiful, that is the biggest difference. 

Aug 12, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #93 of 682
  For your last question, personally I think Pavane is better than the YGG as I compared it to my fds's YGG. The details and micro dynamics of the music and very much in the same level but the Pavane has a slightly (just a little) more 3D and open soundstage. And I will say YGG is very real and neutral while Pavane is real and beautiful, that is the biggest difference. 

This is what this forum is good at, real world feedback. Only thing is a comparison this subtle needs the same source gear and known tracks. I find R-2R is better for my tastes but is not 'in yer face' like many 'high end' DS DACs. So long term demos at home is good IMO.

Aug 12, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #94 of 682
Got another email from metrum saying to click the red T icon click "device 0" and "always on". This seems to have worked. At least for a couple hours so far. Some early impressions are that it sounds he1kish. I know that is a headphone not a dac but it kind of has a warmth and polite and forgiving nature that the he1k had while still being micro detailed. I would say it is a little more on the honest side than the he1k but they sound decently similar at the moment.

This dac with the hd800 and Teton is amazing with rock. The best I have ever heard rock/alternative by a long shot. Just droolworthy is the best I can put it. With electronic though it is missing some visceral bass impact (Pavane has a enveloping, pillowy bass) and the warmth makes electronic sound a bit slow. Still very nice but the ark mx+ does not get a total beatdown in electronic and is better suited for it with  different presentation, with a mid bass thump and greater speed. Would still take the Pavane but it's decently closer. Rock/alternative is just a total butt whoopin over the Auralic.

Hopefully this third fix really does the trick. I really like this dac when its working.

Aug 12, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #95 of 682
Another DAC in the same price range as the Pavane is the Aqua La Scala MKII.  I wish I could get a home demo with the Pavane, I've been trying but no luck thus far.

http://www.aquahifi.com/la_scala.html

Aug 12, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #97 of 682
  Another DAC in the same price range as the Pavane is the Aqua La Scala MKII.  I wish I could get a home demo with the Pavane, I've been trying but no luck thus far.

http://www.aquahifi.com/la_scala.html

ummm there is a review of the Scala verse the Pavane and the reviewer loved the Scala but ended up getting the Pavane instead saying it was better.   I was hot on a Scala but now leaning toward the Pavane.  I have always wanted the Totaldac but to much for what it is.  I  don't think you will be able to get a demo of the Pavane wish you could would love to hear another persons opinion of it.

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #99 of 682

ummm there is a review of the Scala verse the Pavane and the reviewer loved the Scala but ended up getting the Pavane instead saying it was better.   I was hot on a Scala but now leaning toward the Pavane.  I have always wanted the Totaldac but to much for what it is.  I  don't think you will be able to get a demo of the Pavane wish you could would love to hear another persons opinion of it.

He will get a meet impression in about 6 weeks at the Music City Nashville meet. Got in a great 3 hour listening session tonight and no glitches...finally. Pretty sure I'm going to keep the Pavane.

Aug 13, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #100 of 682
great, enjoy your Pavane~
smily_headphones1.gif

I am now planning to buy other music source device rather than using PC. I am not sure which kind of connection on Pavane sounds the best, AES? USB? I2S?

Aug 13, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #101 of 682
  great, enjoy your Pavane~
smily_headphones1.gif

I am now planning to buy other music source device rather than using PC. I am not sure which kind of connection on Pavane sounds the best, AES? USB? I2S?

I don’t think that it has an I2S input. 

Aug 13, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #104 of 682
  Got another email from metrum saying to click the red T icon click "device 0" and "always on". This seems to have worked. At least for a couple hours so far. Some early impressions are that it sounds he1kish. I know that is a headphone not a dac but it kind of has a warmth and polite and forgiving nature that the he1k had while still being micro detailed. I would say it is a little more on the honest side than the he1k but they sound decently similar at the moment.

This dac with the hd800 and Teton is amazing with rock. The best I have ever heard rock/alternative by a long shot. Just droolworthy is the best I can put it. With electronic though it is missing some visceral bass impact (Pavane has a enveloping, pillowy bass) and the warmth makes electronic sound a bit slow. Still very nice but the ark mx+ does not get a total beatdown in electronic and is better suited for it with  different presentation, with a mid bass thump and greater speed. Would still take the Pavane but it's decently closer. Rock/alternative is just a total butt whoopin over the Auralic.

Hopefully this third fix really does the trick. I really like this dac when its working.

I am glad you got it rocking! I think Metrum are a cool company and love my little Octave MK2 (in my second setup). What software are you using? I am Audirvana+  2.2 and it sounds awesome. I have it set to Mode2 and Direct Mode Asyncronious and in standalone mode (no iTunes window). It shows 'ASY' 32 in the player window. The little Octave uses the Amanero USB board, not sure if the Pavane is on M2Tech?
I use only 44.1 AIFs off a Mac Mini. If you avoid any sampling at all, just straight through, no processing in the player software, give it lots or RAM and decent USB cable, you are done.

Are you using balance out connections? I reckon it will improve more as the caps and PS run in, the bass will get deeper and soundstage wider IMO. Ha Ha R-2R rules....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back