Metrum Pavane
Oct 25, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #181 of 682

I agree. I don't believe the treble should be aggressive or rounded.

I personally find audio gear reviews to often times leave out glaring shortcomings of a product. I assume this is to not alienate their advertisers.

My heart was set on a Pavane, but I settled for a Hex. Having lived with the Hex for a month, I hope the Pavane or the soon to be updated Hex is a big step up from the current Hex.

With professional reviewers it is always what they don't tell which is the most revealing. And you assume quite right I recon. I also like to read what they tell about the setup and user friendliness as it is also quite telling. I always try to find contradictory reviews. With both the Chord Hugo and the MrSpeakers Alpha Prime they mostly agreed and when they did not agree, the reviewer almost always stated that it was good, but not to his taste. And the best reviewers are your ears.

I do not know for sure, but the Hex I listened to should have been one with the Transient module as Cees Ruijtenberg had open case versions of all products and they all contained the new Transient modules. On the other hand, I do not know how the old Hex sounded so that still does not tell you if it is a big improvement.

Nov 3, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #183 of 682
Anybody compared the Pavane to the Chord Hugo? I heard the Pavane at the X-Fi show in Veldhoven, the Netherlands and am I think they take two completely different roads to both end up in very natural and musical sounding reproduction.

I have done exactly that comparison. Ive owned the Hugo for over a year and used it in my setup with a BHSE and pair of 009s. The Hugo is wonderfully detailed but in that combo I found it to be too trebly.

I was able to spend several hours auditioning the hugo directly against the pavane, the hex and the yggdrasil, all fed by optical from my ak240, into a headamp gsx and pair of hd800 headphones.

IMO the hugo is a little harsher and thinner sounding than the pavane, the pavane has a greater sense of space, I think it offers more microdetails and also kicks a lot harder when called for. It handles complex passages better IMO, there is greater clarity to each element and I found it much easier to select and follow a particular instrument in the mix if I chose to do so. Switching back and forward between the two, it became clear pretty quickly that the pavane was warmer and to my ears more analog than the hugo, without losing detail.

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #184 of 682
I have done exactly that comparison. Ive owned the Hugo for over a year and used it in my setup with a BHSE and pair of 009s. The Hugo is wonderfully detailed but in that combo I found it to be too trebly.

I was able to spend several hours auditioning the hugo directly against the pavane, the hex and the yggdrasil, all fed by optical from my ak240, into a headamp gsx and pair of hd800 headphones.

IMO the hugo is a little harsher and thinner sounding than the pavane, the pavane has a greater sense of space, I think it offers more microdetails and also kicks a lot harder when called for. It handles complex passages better IMO, there is greater clarity to each element and I found it much easier to select and follow a particular instrument in the mix if I chose to do so. Switching back and forward between the two, it became clear pretty quickly that the pavane was warmer and to my ears more analog than the hugo, without losing detail.

Thanks! The greater sense of space and being able to follow an instrument makes sense, looking at the much lower noise floor of the Pavane. Hashness is a little odd as that depends more on music than on the dac. A trumpet can sound very harsh and very natural at the same time.

The term warmer is also coined a lot of times, but I still do not grasp the concept. Does that mean more bass, more impactfull bass, more harmonics or something else? I have heard the Primare A30.7 and it seemed to add some harmonics which sounded for most music very, very good, but for complex music it was too much for me.

I like to compare natural instruments as we all can relate quite nicely to them. If these sound natural (not neutral, as that can invoke a feel of emotionless music which border the analytical) most other music will also sound very good.

I am also curious about your experiences with the Yggdrasil.

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #185 of 682

Very interesting. Also interested to hear your comparison with the Hex. 

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #186 of 682

Thanks for this.  I'm also interested in your comparisons with the Yggdrasil..

Nov 3, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #188 of 682
My original plan was to look at the yggdrasil as an upgrade option over the hugo. Im not sure how many hours the yggdrasil had on it (it was the instore demo unit). I preferred the sound signature of the yggdrasil to the hugo but to me there didnt seem to be a lot of difference in terms of each dacs ability to provide detail and handle complexities. My reference tracks for the audition were from Talk Talks Spirit of Eden album and Colour of Spring album, all lossless and uncompressed flacs on the ak240.

The sound signature differences to me were a slightly less clinical sound in the yggy, I know terms like warmer and harsher etc are overused and mean different things to different people, what I mean by warmer is that there is more body to the sound, the details that are heard are the same but the depth is greater, and by harsh I mean lacking in depth and bright, not necessarily unpleasantly so but you sense that something is not quite right. Not a great explanation I know but hopefully that assists.

Anyway, to my ears the yggdrasil had a slight edge on the hugo, I think it had a little more depth, and listening to the two I was more drawn in to the music on the yggy than the hugo. This was in direct comparison. I did feel however that there was so little in it that an upgrade to the yggy was not really a big enough leap to justify the cost to me (given Id have to sell the hugo at less than retail, but pay new for the yggy.)

I then tried the pavane, and compared it back and forth with the yggy. Switching between them, the pavane felt more relaxed, blacker background and yet extreme detail, instruments are located quite precisely spatially, and some small details seemed to come from out of nowhere quite effortlessly. The Yggy was not as relaxed, the key difference though was how hard the pavane kicked, for example drum strikes and percussive sections, it offered a more visceral sensation than the yggy or the hugo. My impression of the pavane overall was it was less compressed sounding than the yggy or hugo,but more effortlessly powerful. Its like it is mainly idling along and has power when needed, while the hugo and yggy operate closer to their limit a lot of the time.

Given the expense of the pavane I was offered to try the hex. Ill admit I didnt spend a lot of time listening to it, its priced around the same as the yggy, my impressions were it didnt have the refinement of the pavane, and that was immediately obvious to me. Its a very good dac but I found it perhaps a bit "smeared" in its presentation, it didnt handle complex passages as precisely and I felt that instruments in the mix were more blended than separate. For example, on the pavane I hear each instrument separately along with its individual reverbs, however on the hex its like the instruments shared the reverb. Theres one particular percussive passage on Spirit of Eden where on the pavane I hear the percussive instruments separately and placed in their physical locations in the soundstage (ie you can follow a drum roll around the kit), on the hex I hear the elements but with a much narrower soundstage, like you hear the kit but not the placement of the toms etc relative to each other.

I had a second audition of the pavane and hugo a few days later, and I left the shop with the pavane and a crater in my wallet.To me the upgrade is worth it, and in my system I think theres no question that the pavane plays more nicely than the hugo, but that does not mean the hugo is not a fantastic sounding dac. Ive loved it and think its a fantastic value, however I also think that the yggy has closed the gap considerably since the hugo came out.

Nov 3, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #189 of 682
Great,  Thanks for that.  

BTW - I know exactly what you mean when you use there term "warm or warmer"

beerchug.gif

Nov 3, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #190 of 682
Very nice comparison and nice details about what you heard, especially about the percussion and the placement. For me this means that the Pavane is still in sight for my main system and the Yggdrasil is out. I am hoping that the difference between the Pavane and the Dave won't be huge as the Dave costs a lot more money.

Nov 19, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #193 of 682
Well after a mishap with my 1st Pavane, finally the replacement has been in my hands awhile.  Listening to it now with Stratus and LAu paired with HD800 on the Stratus and the HE1000 on the LAu....thus far I am happy where I put my money.  I'll give more impressions as I break it in and listen more after some weeks.  First big difference I heard that was night and day vs my Hex is how big the soundstage sounded suddenly in width and height.  It was like being thrown in a concert hall....I had to check settings to make sure there were no funny enhancements giving off this effect.  After hours of listening, I believe this effect came from cleaner seperation of details/intruments as well as more precision on placement to give off this effect.  I didn't think much of the previous comments regarding the black background but it certainly seems that way with the Pavane.....I think the reality though is because instruments/vocals come out so "effortlessly" and sneaks up on you thus giving you the darker background feel.  A lot more listening to do, big thanks to Atelier Audio in providing me the unit and taking care of things.  Samuel is the man and I'd recommend him if you are interested in Metrum products in the US/Canada currently.

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #194 of 682
From reading these good comments, it seems like the Pavane is not so extremely dependent on being powered on all the time like the Yggy. Is this true? How long does it need to be on before it sounds good?
(I'm not talking about initial break in, but once it is in use for say, a few weeks, can it be turned off and then reach its potential in a half hour or so maybe? Is there a standby mode? This can be an issue if it's used on a desktop where you don't want
heat generated all the time.) Thank you.
(And thanks to these very well-written interesting posts from Blackads and Sensui. 'loved reading them.)

Dec 23, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #195 of 682
I don't know if my Pavane is broken yet since I haven't done as much listening as I want to.  But it does seem to "come alive" at around 1.5-2hours in on the previous sessions I listened to.  There's a vivid richness that comes with a more precise stage that's noticeable after that time.  I've never had the habit of leaving my DAC on and I was a big skeptic on the Hex on break in until it happened after 100-120 hours I think.  In respect to the heat generated, I've forgotten to turn the Liquid Gold and Pavane off for one night before and to my surprise, the Pavane stayed rather cool.  Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back