Metrum octave vs new Rega DAC vs Eastern electric
May 24, 2012 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Tuberoller1

Member of the Trade
I currently have an EE minimax (non-plus version), but have become increasingly interested in the Metrum and Rega DACs recently as a potential replacement. What are people's opinions on this? Would either of these DACs truly be an upgrade? I listen to all redbook, so oversampling isn't an issue, and I listen to mostly Rock (which I guess means I prefer a meaty/rich sound character).

May 24, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 8
I have a Metrum Octave, and have previously listened to both the Minimax and the Rega. If your system is fairly resolving, the increased resolution and complete lack of a "sound" of the Octave will be obvious. It is just a wonderfully transparent colorless device. The Rega and Minimax are both fine dac's, but they not the "giant killers" that the Metrum is. I have owned an ARC Dac8, and the Naim dac, and the Minimax and Rega are not quite up with those big boys, but the Metrum definitely is in the same league.

May 25, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #3 of 8
rega dac, its generally considered to be a warmer dac with emphasis on mids/bass.

May 25, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
rega dac, its generally considered to be a warmer dac with emphasis on mids/bass.

It certainly is. I bought it March 2011, after having tried Audio-GD Ref5DSP, Meier Stagedac and MDHT Havana and haven't looked back since, I love its musicality, but it all depends what you are looking for; it is not the last word in detail.

May 25, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
I have a Metrum Octave, and have previously listened to both the Minimax and the Rega. If your system is fairly resolving, the increased resolution and complete lack of a "sound" of the Octave will be obvious. It is just a wonderfully transparent colorless device. The Rega and Minimax are both fine dac's, but they not the "giant killers" that the Metrum is. I have owned an ARC Dac8, and the Naim dac, and the Minimax and Rega are not quite up with those big boys, but the Metrum definitely is in the same league.

I can only concur with this statement. 

Because Octave is a NOS DAC, it is your decision whether you want your music processed or not as the DAC itself, does not process it in any way. 

Jun 4, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #6 of 8
All I can say is I had the first EE Minimax as well and sold it within a couple weeks.  Just wasn't terribly awed by it.  Same with the Anedio D1... I perhaps wrote this off due to not liking the 9018 chip, who knows.

I've had my Octave since last Sept and it's been a love affair, unfortunately one that will have to end soon as I just quit my day job and will be working as a remote contractor; need to settle on at least a transportable setup with my Thunderpants.  The Fiio E17 is actually not bad, but the difference between that and my Metrum->WA6SE is quite large in driving my TP1s.  O2/ODAC on the way, curious to see if that can bridge the gap some.   The latter has a lower end Saber chip but I'm holding out hope.

Feb 23, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
All I can say is I had the first EE Minimax as well and sold it within a couple weeks.  Just wasn't terribly awed by it.  Same with the Anedio D1... I perhaps wrote this off due to not liking the 9018 chip, who knows.

I've had my Octave since last Sept and it's been a love affair, unfortunately one that will have to end soon as I just quit my day job and will be working as a remote contractor; need to settle on at least a transportable setup with my Thunderpants.  The Fiio E17 is actually not bad, but the difference between that and my Metrum->WA6SE is quite large in driving my TP1s.  O2/ODAC on the way, curious to see if that can bridge the gap some.   The latter has a lower end Saber chip but I'm holding out hope.

So u say the octave is an excellent choice to pair with a tube amp..like the 337 i have?

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
So u say the octave is an excellent choice to pair with a tube amp..like the 337 i have?

The Octave pairs well with anything. Its sound is just transparent, clear as water.

After trying the Reference 5.32 (PCM1704) and NFB-27 (ES9018), I'm going back to the Quad (or will upgrade to the Octave, I don't know yet).
The Quad is the only DAC that is both relaxing (Ref 5) AND inviting (NFB-27) at the same time.

Something very special!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back