Metrum NOS Hex Flagship DAC
Dec 26, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #406 of 500
Tha
Octave MKII and Hex are really close in terms of sound sig. Moreover, after an A/B test between both of them on my EC 4-45 (RCA input) who have an helpfull input switch, they were so close that I sold my Hex and keep the Octave MKII.

For me, Hex worth the investment only for a balanced set-up.

That is worrying. I have the Metrum Octave II and also an Audio Note DAC 4.1 which is also NOS but uses tubes. The jump to my Audio Note DAC from the Metrum is massive, really night and day.
I keep the Octave for a second 'portable' system. Maybe you guys should try the Audio Note DACs, they take the NOS further with tube regulated PS and transformers on the output. Another game changer Audio Note have done, is remove the brick wall filter on the digital board, it takes away another layer and makes vocals and percussion for example sound incredible.

Basically the Audio Note design philosophy is RedBook straight through - digital to voltage conversion. No oversampling, no wave shaping, no filtering, no messing with the sound.

The sound is so lifelike it's untrue, better than my old LP12 and way better than any delta-sigma stuff I have owned over the last 15 years. I have stopped looking now, very happy indeed. 

BTW you can get the DAC 3.1 and 4.1 as a kit and save 60%.

Jan 26, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #407 of 500
Wow, there doesn't appear to be "much love" for the Hex over here. I'm sure that the cost (which was over 2x that of the original Octave (which I kept to have a Metrum to take w/ me to retail stores to demo other equipment) plays into things).

I knew the Hex was pretty special when I stopped listening to SACDs because I preferred the ripped redbook layer ripped to HDD played back on my Auraliti PK100 through the Hex. I had previously felt that the SACD DSD layer had
a more analog sound to them, but that changed after I got the Hex. I honestly have stopped missing playing vinyl (for about 3yrs now)

If the Octave MK2 is really as close to the Hex as has been suggested, I'm sure it gain these strengths from what was learned from the Hex, the original Octave showed the promise of what the Hex is but as they say "no cigar"for it's effort.

It's a shame the Hex came in at the price it did (my pocket couldn't handle that expense today; luckily 3yrs ago it could
If you prefer listening to Acoustic music & your pocket an absorb the cost. This DAC has a transient response & as a
result "tonality" that is the closest I've heard to an "Analog" response that won't allow me to shorten my marathon
"Orchestral music" listening sessions. This is your DAC if this is your music of choice.

The Senn HD800 just loves this DAC (Take what you want from this; I just felt compelled to show some "love")

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #408 of 500
  Wow, there doesn't appear to be "much love" for the Hex over here. I'm sure that the cost (which was over 2x that of the original Octave (which I kept to have a Metrum to take w/ me to retail stores to demo other equipment) plays into things).

I knew the Hex was pretty special when I stopped listening to SACDs because I preferred the ripped redbook layer ripped to HDD played back on my Auraliti PK100 through the Hex. I had previously felt that the SACD DSD layer had
a more analog sound to them, but that changed after I got the Hex. I honestly have stopped missing playing vinyl (for about 3yrs now)

If the Octave MK2 is really as close to the Hex as has been suggested, I'm sure it gain these strengths from what was learned from the Hex, the original Octave showed the promise of what the Hex is but as they say "no cigar"for it's effort.

It's a shame the Hex came in at the price it did (my pocket couldn't handle that expense today; luckily 3yrs ago it could
If you prefer listening to Acoustic music & your pocket an absorb the cost. This DAC has a transient response & as a
result "tonality" that is the closest I've heard to an "Analog" response that won't allow me to shorten my marathon
"Orchestral music" listening sessions. This is your DAC if this is your music of choice.

The Senn HD800 just loves this DAC (Take what you want from this; I just felt compelled to show some "love")

I think the price range has a lot to do with it. I know it took me some time to warm up to the price point. 
redface.gif
 But I do love the Hex...one hell of a DAC that I no longer have to cherry pick out music from the 80s/90s (brighter sounding and very digital) and avoid it like the plague. With regards to the Octave, the differences are better magnified when using the Hex with a balanced amp.

If you scroll down to my signature, you can see my review of the Hex. 

Jan 27, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #412 of 500
I'm still loving my Hex! Indeed a fantastic DAC for classical music, with its natual timbre. I guess the Hex users/lovers spend so much time listening to their music rather than discussing here :p

Actually, That is exactly what I was doing (listening to Dorati conducting  Kodaly's Hary Janos suite through my Senn HD800 fed from my Hex DAC) which inspired me to "re-open" this thread. (listening to the Berg Violin Cto. at the moment & wondering which NOS 5751 tubes I want to get for my HP amp) (The Hex makes even new production tubes sound like they're better than they actually are)

I can't imagine that whether you are running Balanced or Singled ended could make any difference in noticing differences between the
Octave mk2 & the Hex if this musical diet is what you normally listen to. I'm not doubting the new Octave may be closer than original
(which I used before the Hex)Octave but it sounds like a "stretch" to me & more due to the willingness not to spend more for the Hex.

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #416 of 500
  Anybody interested in the new Pavane for about $5 or $6K

Not me...If I could integrate it with a great speaker setup, then maybe...but my kids are still only 10 and 6 and go to bed far too early for me to justify that. 

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #417 of 500
The SFD-2 MKII (SE+ upgraded by pcX) has recently replaced the Metrum Hex as my reference desktop DAC.
Anyone interested in picking up a used Hex in mint condition, let me know via PM.
Note that its front plate is silver, has both the latest Amanero USB module and AES/EBU module, and the upgraded Lundahl transformers.
Basically, every option that a fully maxed-out Hex would have.
It is currently set at 220-240V.

Feb 13, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #419 of 500
So this now becomes "Metrum's"  current "Flagship DAC"

I can see 2 obstacles to this DAC for myself  & quite a few others. First, the price of admission to this DAC is a bit too steep for
myself due to the fact of what I'd paid for the Hex. Which brings me to my second obstacle.

I simply think that the Hex succeeds in put a "Hex" on me whenever I decide to listen to it. I don't get anything "non-music listening" related done now !!.For health reasons alone (& the financial reasons already mentioned) the Pavane has to remain a "non buy".

I look at the Pavane as a product for anyone who isn't a Metrum Acoustic owner already (or a Hex owner that just won the lottery & just goes crazy spending because he can)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back