Metrum Acoustics Octave
Jan 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #316 of 707
Quote:
The connection itself is pretty fragile as even rotating the AP2 or wiggling it would cause the audio to go out.

If it is a gold coloured connector have Phil send you out the silver one.  I had the same problem originally.

Jan 5, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #317 of 707
Quote:
I had a MF 192 and recently upgraded to an AP2. It was difficult finding a base under the AP2 as I found that leaving it hanging would sometimes cause skips in the audio. The connection itself is pretty fragile as even rotating the AP2 or wiggling it would cause the audio to go out.
But once I did find a suitable base the sound is definitely better than the MF. Imaging is a lot better and some of the harshness I experienced in the MF was also gone.
Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to try the Stello U3

Sorry if we're drifting off topic but did you use another power supply with either of these?

I paid $200 for the MF 192 + $200 for an iFi iUSB power module. The combination is quite decent for 400 bucks. I might be tempted to get an AP2 and use it with the iUSB but I'm not sure if  the difference would be worth the extra $379

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #318 of 707
I use the Stello U3 for my Octave, but I'm thinking of upgrading my DDC to this:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/sotm/1.html

I will have the opportunity to audition these next week when I visit SOtM's headquarters in Korea, which happens to be in my hometown. With the in-built clock option as well as external power supply, the price rivals that of AP1 with PurePower.

Jan 5, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #319 of 707
Quote:
Quote:

How are you connecting it?

I had the  MDAC fed through usb then using its SPDIF out (which is said to be dejittered ) to feed the Metrum. Both plugged into the Topping and level matched using MDAC volume pot (-1db) . The Topping  has an electronic relay as source selector so switching DACs is gapless. Didn't matter how hard I tried I couldn't detect the slightest differences. My friend didn't even realised I had switched sources multiple times when he tried.

Interesting.  Can you hear any difference when using 44.1k music versus up-sampling (eg: in software) with the Octave? I could on my system, though it was fairly slight. One thing I find helpful is, rather than trying to listen for differences in snippets (which admittedly is good for detecting differences in detail levels) is to just listen normally to my current favourite playlist with one DAC for a few days, then switch at some point to another.  I tend, then, to feel something is better or worse. Often it's very slight, such a particular instrument on a particular track sounding more right, wrong or whatever.

However, I reckon if, say, the M-DAC uses a slow roll-off filter like the Octave and has similar levels of resolution, it would very hard to tell them apart.

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #320 of 707
Has anyone here tried the metrum quad?

Sorry if this question has been asked before, I couldn't find anything via the thread search...

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #321 of 707
Quote:
Has anyone here tried the metrum quad?

Sorry if this question has been asked before, I couldn't find anything via the thread search...

I own it and its being used along with the stello U3.

Excellent, to say the least. I ended up preferring it over the Reference 5.32 which was too dark for my tastes and less dynamic.
In a technical standpoint, they are on par :wink:. The quad is more lively, the Reference 5 is more, well... reference sounding :D

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #322 of 707
Hey, 

Thanks for the reply,

Have you ever compared the quad to the octave?

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #326 of 707
If it is a gold coloured connector have Phil send you out the silver one.  I had the same problem originally.

Thanks for the tip. I do have an extra silver connector that I can definitely try.

Sorry if we're drifting off topic but did you use another power supply with either of these?

I paid $200 for the MF 192 + $200 for an iFi iUSB power module. The combination is quite decent for 400 bucks. I might be tempted to get an AP2 and use it with the iUSB but I'm not sure if  the difference would be worth the extra $379

I will say that I probably would not have paid the full price for the AP2 ; the sound quality is noticeably better as I've described but it perhaps isn't worth the asking price.

I haven't done close comparisons but I have my amp coming in soon for repairs and I will listen more closely for improvements.

Feb 23, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #327 of 707
Took delivery of the Octave 2 days ago so I am way early in the game. Out of the gate though I am already enjoying the sound....for lack of a better word there seems to be a different "texture" to the sound....looking forward to its evolving with time......

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #328 of 707
I have the impression that it take a lot more burn in than people say. Only a month non stop is not enough in my opinion.

Feb 23, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #329 of 707
Quote:
Have you ever compared the quad to the octave?

I compared the Octave to the Hex and there is an improvement in all parameters. I can guess that the same happens going from the Quad to the Octave.

Feb 23, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #330 of 707
Quote:
I compared the Octave to the Hex and there is an improvement in all parameters. I can guess that the same happens going from the Quad to the Octave.

The differences are very minor going from the Quad to the Octave. It is  a different story going from the Octave to the Hex. Totally different beast and then you add  balanced and  USB implementation and how can you compare the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back