Metrum Acoustics Musette NOS R-2R DAC (2015) Discussion thread
Oct 22, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #46 of 239
Yeah, seems so, forgot to clarify my home setup.
audio note az-2 speakers, noname(rather uknown name) 6x0.4mm silver litz speaker cable("bi-wired" by silver rods in speakers), 5m pretty generic usb cable to dac from dell precision laptop, an-c cable from dac to amp, pretty generic and short toslink cable from cd to dac, room has has more echo than it should, high ceilings, not much furniture, almost a cube. 

Try to improve that before you worry about cables. Speaker placement, room treatment (furniture as well as acoustic treatment) and even a DSP can be the solution. No cable can change interference, resonance, frequencies that cancel each other out and so on...

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #49 of 239
Reason of sale is despite appreciating the forward, natural, unadulterated quality of the sound this DAC produces, particularly with live content, acoustic guitars etc, I still prefer my Exasound E12 Sabre DAC, which produces a warmer, organic sound overall with a slightly wider soundstage, and I can't justify owning both really. That said the Metrum Musette is imo a genuinely good DAC for the money and I'm glad I experienced what the NOS thing was all about.

Oct 23, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #50 of 239
  Reason of sale is despite appreciating the forward, natural, unadulterated quality of the sound this DAC produces, particularly with live content, acoustic guitars etc, I still prefer my Exasound E12 Sabre DAC, which produces a warmer, organic sound overall with a slightly wider soundstage, and I can't justify owning both really. That said the Metrum Musette is imo a genuinely good DAC for the money and I'm glad I experienced what the NOS thing was all about.

Sounds reasonable, for example soundstage of musette was a bit too wide for my friend who prefers audionote dac's.
Haven't tried any oversampling dac's of similar budget/quality as exasound e12, but rest of them felt too "bright" and "excited" for my taste.

Oct 25, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #51 of 239
Record session made by user Gibalok on his iphone.

Eximus dp1 record:
[Br]
[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/KW7s_ddREfw[/VIDEO]
[Br]
Musette record:
[Br]
[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/LgCe6CrQynQ[/VIDEO]

Eximus was connected to preamplyfier trough balance output with Saec xr 4000 cord. And to the SOTM with Acrolink 6n AES cable.
Musette was connected through RCA output with cheap DAXX cord (5-7 times cheaper). And to the SOTM with Audio Technica Art Link SD2000 coaxial cable.
Power cord for Eximus was Oyaide Tunami GXP.
Musette- stock

Conclusion:
Musette sounds a bit darker in comparison, with some hint of vail add on

And what do you think?

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #52 of 239
Had a chance to compare musette against Audioquest DragonFly this weekend,
Setup was cyrus amp, van den hul speaker cables and mid-range tannoy speakers.
When we started testing, instantly noticed improvement in sound clarity on musette.
More or less it was better in everything, there were maybe two tracks which played similarly on dragonfly, we played a lot of stuff, from michael jackson to dubstep, everything was played through usb. But well, that was expected, at least from my side. Dragonfly felt a bit "muddy" compared to musette, but at its price range, quite impressed. As my home setup goes, I must conclude that 300b SET amp probably did "burn in"(seller did say he doesn't use it often, so it was more or less laying on the table), no longer notice lack of low freqs or anything else. I guess I will stay with everything as it is for a while.

Oct 27, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #53 of 239
nimmen

Jacksond and dubstep it's all very well. But how about something like this:

[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/brCNfg1vrY4[/VIDEO]

Did you feel, you want to shake your head like never before and scream "Aaaaah!!!"? :L3000:
I heard Metrum products sometimes lack in agility. That can be an issue with fast agressive genres.

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #54 of 239
So I hopefully will have UPS pick up my Musette, They screwed it during shipping and something is moving around inside it. :frowning2:

Oct 28, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #55 of 239
nimmen

Jacksond and dubstep it's all very well. But how about something like this:

Did you feel, you want to shake your head like never before and scream "Aaaaah!!!"?
L3000.gif

I heard Metrum products sometimes lack in agility. That can be an issue with fast agressive genres.

I wonder what your source meant by "[they] sometimes lack in agility"? I have heard that some NOS DACs don't handle complex material well, but I haven't heard that that's true of Metrum DACs.

Note: I'm not trying to start an argument here: it's just that I don't speak audiophile, so I often need clarification. I can infer what "lack in agility" means, but I could be wrong.

Oct 29, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #56 of 239
dasher
"They" it's dudes from russian hi-fi comunity.
http://soundex.ru/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=topic&id=38397&do=findComment&comment=1267087
I don't believe them anymore, cuz caught a ban, when doubt in statement that Lynx Hilo also can't play metal.

lack in agility

Maybe it mean, that music in songs goes more slower and laid back, than it should. Lose some "exitement". Don't know.
Thats why i asked Musette owner to listen just one track and discribe his feelings. Seems, that he just don't like metal :p

Oct 29, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #57 of 239
I was banned at soundex with no reason explained more than month ago straight after our discussion. So now im aware its you Rockoon, so will write it for you during weekends and post here comparing to Eximus.

Oct 29, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #59 of 239
dasher
"They" it's dudes from russian hi-fi comunity.
http://soundex.ru/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=topic&id=38397&do=findComment&comment=1267087
I don't believe them anymore, cuz caught a ban, when doubt in statement that Lynx Hilo also can't play metal.
Maybe it mean, that music in songs goes more slower and laid back, than it should. Lose some "exitement". Don't know.
Thats why i asked Musette owner to listen just one track and discribe his feelings. Seems, that he just don't like metal
tongue.gif

I have a little metal, but it's not the fast aggressive stuff -- it's mostly the stoner/doom type stuff that's very slow. But I'll be happy to give my impressions when I get the Musette.

And if/when you get a Musette, I'd really like to hear your impressions of how it does on the fast/aggressive stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back