Metrum Acoustics Musette NOS R-2R DAC (2015) Discussion thread
Oct 14, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #31 of 239
Congratulations, guys! Realy would like to know, what those things will do after some burn in. So keep in touch :cool: especially about Musette vs Eximus duel

P.S
unfortunately i be able to join the club only in the next month.

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #35 of 239
Gents (and Ladies mb) just a little patience :)

I will have time on Saturday to make A/B so will write my impressions. Probably Musette will burn in to the moment. 

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #36 of 239
I am moving, so I have asked for delayed delivery sometime next week. I cannot wait to get my setup going

Oct 15, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #38 of 239
Some morning observation considering the difference of Eximus Dp-1 and Musette on my main system (Bryston/PMC 22) which is neutral in all ways (what you gives that is coming out). Musette gives little more soft and laid back represenation. Means that strings and drums more laid back and less pushy still staying very resolvingб convincing and comfortable. Some may consider that as more analouge one.

So if you have bright amp/cans you can expect very smooth and still musical sound. If you have some dark amp/cans (HE560 in my case) you should listen yourself. But Gustard H10/HE560 + Musette = very good and convincing IMO.  

Keep observing..

Oct 15, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #39 of 239
Hi 

Im picking up a woo wa2 for my hd800 hopefully tomorrow

i did have a quick listen to the octave mk11 - any experience by anyone with the octave v musette

how does the musette handle the treble and mids - any or much roll off?

cheers
peter

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #40 of 239
Did receive my unit almost a week ago,
can confirm that it sounds quite natural,smooth and clean. Using it with usb so far.
My system is a bit on brighter side, so musette seems to fit in very well. Feels more smooth, natural, less "excited" or "bright" against teac/esoteric d-10, soundstage seems to be better also.
Will compare it to audio note 2.1 dac pretty soon, I imagine they should be pretty similar, we'll see.

Oct 21, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #41 of 239
  Did receive my unit almost a week ago,
can confirm that it sounds quite natural,smooth and clean. Using it with usb so far.
My system is a bit on brighter side, so musette seems to fit in very well. Feels more smooth, natural, less "excited" or "bright" against teac/esoteric d-10, soundstage seems to be better also.
Will compare it to audio note 2.1 dac pretty soon, I imagine they should be pretty similar, we'll see.

Looking forward to that comparison!

Oct 21, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #42 of 239
some tech details on tests/setups.
setup where i was testing musette was:
equipment of owner: an-e/lx speakers, audio note conqueror amp, speaker cables - older version of lexus(not bi-wired), dac/cd-transport was audio note cd 3.1
stuff i did bring in: metrum musette dac, an-c interconnect cables, few cd's.

Basically there were 3 people, owner of original equipment, his friend and me.
Owner was not interested in this test, so basically we used his equipment, he never gave any remarks throughout our tests. All tests were conducted without computer, there was none :) Played either through audio note cd 3.1 or using audio note cd 3.1 as transport to musette dac, using rca spdif cable.

i chose few cds and tracks to reflect different styles of music. Original cd's.
choice of tracks:
1 Jocelyn Montgomery with David Lynch ‎– Lux Vivens - 04 Et Ideo (female vocals, some rhythm, "chamberish")
2 Death In June ‎– But, What Ends When The Symbols Shatter? -  03 The Mourner's Bench (guitars, brass, male vocals, neofolk)
3 Herbst9 ‎– The Gods Are Small Birds, But I Am The Falcon - 09 Ilimmu (slow paced, vivid, some processed male vocals, dark ambient)
4 Various ‎– X-Rated: The Dark Files - 01 Scanner - Slateblue, Dark Seafed (very dynamic and rhythmic, maybe towards "dance" music with a lot of "experimental" spices and higher freqs)

Note from other person, in all cases he felt wider/2d sound stage from musette, agree with him, but he was not saying its a plus, neither said its a minus, just different :)
We both did not notice anything significant on "3d" sound stage to make remarks.
4th track was obviously better with musette, both agreed, audio note cd/dac 3.1 was "kind of distorting" on lower end freqs.
Rest of the tracks played more or less similar, noticable difference on 2d soundstage, and more lower freqs from audio note dac, can agree with that too, i'm definitely not bass freak(so you know). For me amount/expression of lower freqs was fine.

As my home setup goes, can feel definitive lack of proper low freqs at the moment. As i've upgraded my amp from rega brio to 300b SET few days ago.
I use 5m pretty generic usb cable, so far its the biggest suspect for that, when i use musette with cd transport with maybe 0.5m TOSLINK cable, everything sounds fine.

Oct 21, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #43 of 239
  some tech details on tests/setups.
setup where i was testing musette was:
equipment of owner: an-e/lx speakers, audio note conqueror amp, speaker cables - older version of lexus(not bi-wired), dac/cd-transport was audio note cd 3.1
stuff i did bring in: metrum musette dac, an-c interconnect cables, few cd's.

Basically there were 3 people, owner of original equipment, his friend and me.
Owner was not interested in this test, so basically we used his equipment, he never gave any remarks throughout our tests. All tests were conducted without computer, there was none :) Played either through audio note cd 3.1 or using audio note cd 3.1 as transport to musette dac, using rca spdif cable.

i chose few cds and tracks to reflect different styles of music. Original cd's.
choice of tracks:
1 Jocelyn Montgomery with David Lynch ‎– Lux Vivens - 04 Et Ideo (female vocals, some rhythm, "chamberish")
2 Death In June ‎– But, What Ends When The Symbols Shatter? -  03 The Mourner's Bench (guitars, brass, male vocals, neofolk)
3 Herbst9 ‎– The Gods Are Small Birds, But I Am The Falcon - 09 Ilimmu (slow paced, vivid, some processed male vocals, dark ambient)
4 Various ‎– X-Rated: The Dark Files - 01 Scanner - Slateblue, Dark Seafed (very dynamic and rhythmic, maybe towards "dance" music with a lot of "experimental" spices and higher freqs)

Note from other person, in all cases he felt wider/2d sound stage from musette, agree with him, but he was not saying its a plus, neither said its a minus, just different :)
We both did not notice anything significant on "3d" sound stage to make remarks.
4th track was obviously better with musette, both agreed, audio note cd/dac 3.1 was "kind of distorting" on lower end freqs.
Rest of the tracks played more or less similar, noticable difference on 2d soundstage, and more lower freqs from audio note dac, can agree with that too, i'm definitely not bass freak(so you know). For me amount/expression of lower freqs was fine.

As my home setup goes, can feel definitive lack of proper low freqs at the moment. As i've upgraded my amp from rega brio to 300b SET few days ago.
I use 5m pretty generic usb cable, so far its the biggest suspect for that, when i use musette with cd transport with maybe 0.5m TOSLINK cable, everything sounds fine.

Thanks for your report. Proper low frequencies with a 300b single ended triode can be a challenge though... In general, getting the bass right is one of the more difficult parts of tuning a system. I wish you success!

Oct 21, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #44 of 239

Thanks for your report. Proper low frequencies with a 300b single ended triode can be a challenge though... In general, getting the bass right is one of the more difficult parts of tuning a system. I wish you success!

Yeah, seems so, forgot to clarify my home setup.
audio note az-2 speakers, noname(rather uknown name) 6x0.4mm silver litz speaker cable("bi-wired" by silver rods in speakers), 5m pretty generic usb cable to dac from dell precision laptop, an-c cable from dac to amp, pretty generic and short toslink cable from cd to dac, room has has more echo than it should, high ceilings, not much furniture, almost a cube. 

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #45 of 239
So there is no big difference between Musette (coax) and Audionote 3.1 (as a DAC). Musette has a bit wider 2d soundstage, Audionote a bit more bass. But in general they perform on the same level, right? It is all very well :cool:

As i know, most DACs can't even run with 5m usb cable. You should try somethig 1m lenght. And Wireworld ultraviolet 7 looks fine for that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back