Metrum Acoustics Musette NOS R-2R DAC (2015) Discussion thread
Sep 29, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #18 of 239
I got this response when I inquired about the power to the USB module inside the Musette. Guess Uptone Regen might be in my future
Quote:
  The USB is getting the power from the PC but passes a huge filter an linear regulator before it reach the USB module

Met vriendelijke groet

Kind regards

William Smit

Oct 1, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #19 of 239
popcorn.gif

Oct 10, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #20 of 239
Mine has just landed in New Zealand (Black Musette), should be at the door in a few days. Will update with some initial impressions.  Bear in mind, my previous DAC was a MDAC with ES9018 chip which I did enjoy. 

Oct 10, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #21 of 239
Waiting on mine. I have asked to delay my shipment as I am currently mid move and will be for another two weeks.

Oct 11, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #22 of 239
  Mine has just landed in New Zealand (Black Musette), should be at the door in a few days. Will update with some initial impressions.  Bear in mind, my previous DAC was a MDAC with ES9018 chip which I did enjoy. 

do you plan to use Musette through USB input with PC or through coxial with some converter or transport?

Oct 11, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #23 of 239
 do you plan to use Musette through USB input with PC or through coxial with some converter or transport

I am still not sure on this.  I was thinking of using USB but then again I wouldn't mind picking up a Blu-ray player that has a Coax output too such as the Pioneer BPD-450.  It doesn't have onboard Analogue outputs, so I can connect the laptop via USB to the Blu-ray player and then have a Coax cable going from the Blu-ray player straight to the Metrum.  That would mean I have a blu-ray player too and a Coax converter! 

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #26 of 239
We have here in Russia small amount. Im lucky to get one. Im not sure I need that, but I cant reject myself to try it. :wink:

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #28 of 239
So, here I am sitting with my music playing through the MAC book pro Audirvana > USB > Musette > V200 > LCD-X.  Please excuse my french, this is ********* Amazing! Well it should be, I was forced to listen to the MAC book DAC as my MDAC had stopped working and I was planning on upgrading it anyway.  My comparisons are with the MDAC.  

These are only my initial impressions, so don't take them too seriously or accuse me of starting a hype train.

The Musette is very very natural and clean sounding.  That's the first thing I noticed.  The MDAC had a slight artificial tone to it maybe due to the ES9018 chip and you had to play around with the filters to find the one you liked.  I liked the MDAC but the Musette is a big step up in naturalness. 

It's more detailed than the MDAC but it doesn't throw all the details in your face.  They are there and you hear them, but they are not the star of the show.  Soundstage is ok but the V200 might be the bigger culprit in restricting width.  It's very 3d holographic and imaging is spot on including height.  I almost feel like Professor X in X-men with the Cerebro Machine around my head pin pointing instruments.  

Dynamics, wow! I finally understood what the hype is about (maybe).   The track "New World Symphony" - Herbet Von Karajan/Wiener Philharmoniker has been on repeat and I hardly listen to classical/orchestra.  It's like I am finally listening to this track in all it's glory!  My explanation might not be the best, but the track takes you on this epic ride of highs and lows, in volume and speed.  I have not had this before.  There are other instruments or sections of the Orchestra I am hearing that I have not heard before or were being covered up. 

Listening to "Koto Song" - Dave Brubeck Live.  Pianos have a little more weight. The way the Piano notes play and the decay is truly mesmerising.  Bass is much more clear.  You can still hear the music clearly when the cloud starts clapping.  I am honestly hearing things on this track I have not heard.  The clapping and whistling of the crowd is very distinct and clear. 

Anyway, I keep having to stop typing and listen cos I will hear part of a track that I know from memory very well but I will hear new things on it (maybe placebo effect) but I am gonna go back to just enjoying this setup.  I am very very happy with my investment. 

Oct 14, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #30 of 239
here is mine. First short impressions:

Build qulity is 3-4 out of 5 (comparing to Eximus which is solid a CNCd as a brick with wonderfull tacktile experience) since I have a power slot on back side sloggering a bit. I whish it would be fully alliminium CNC box but it not.. its budget (go for Pavane if you want :) )

Sound wise I didnt find a lot of differences comparing to Eximus except: HF a bit more soft, sound reverberations means that the strings are more long.. LF are awesome and full weight. And I didnt noted any delay means the dynamics is great. But Eximus has some more impact.. i guess..

*I did tested that with my favourites trios Jacques Lussier (Vivaldi, Mozart), Chick Corea Trio (Trilogy). So for instrumental music its woderlfull. Cant comment for EDM, Rock, RAP, Trance..ect.
**I tested only COAX from my full SOtM with SuperClock (dont have USB experience yet)

Concerning my limited impressions and small time to burn in/warm up. I would recommend that Euro 1K device as a bargain comparing to 2-3k devices on the market. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back