Metro Detroit 2014 Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread
Sep 22, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #31 of 160
I have been to other headphone meets, and this by far was my favorite.  Not only the organizing, most of which took place well before I was aware of the meet (THANK YOU zabzaf and Audio GUY!!), but the event itself. 

As zabzaf said, the people were ALL great.  Furthermore, the size was just right... larger ones give a sense of frantic urgency of trying to get through all the headphones in a noisy room before the day ends, and smaller ones, of course, don't have the selection.

I particularly liked zabzaf's pointers on meet etiquette (don't unplug without permission, don't put your Elvis pompadour pomade on, ...). 

Headphones make up a unique market... overwhelming segmentation (lots and lots of different brands and models chasing a limited number of folks who care about their difference in sound), a mix between the objective (e.g., frequency measurements) and subjective (presence, sound stage, taste), and the conflicting facts that 1) since measurements don't tell the story, you prefer to try before you buy, vs. 2) any one audio shop, and indeed any collection of audio shops within the same town, will only have the tiniest fraction of the available headphones to try.

The answer?  Headphone meets like this, perhaps also augmented by headphone "tours," where one or more headphones are shipped around the country for auditioning, as Todd The Vinyl Junkie (TTVJ) did with the new Grado -e series of headphones.  One vendor (can't recall the name... has "sonic" in it I think but not "buysonic") has a tool to let you hear, on your computer, reconstructions of sounds from various high-end headphones to let you compare, and apps such as Accudio let you transform the frequency response of one headphone into the frequency response of a similar headphone.

But there is no substitute for listening, preferably comparatively, over a long period of time, with source music you already know, and in a quiet room.

Of course, many vendors have generous return policies (try for up to 30 days and send back for a refund).

Anyway, headphone meets lift the spirit, inspire the muse, empty the wallet, and support headphone sales!

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #32 of 160
I have been to other headphone meets, and this by far was my favorite.  Not only the organizing, most of which took place well before I was aware of the meet (THANK YOU zabzaf and Audio GUY!!), but the event itself. 

As zabzaf said, the people were ALL great.  Furthermore, the size was just right... larger ones give a sense of frantic urgency of trying to get through all the headphones in a noisy room before the day ends, and smaller ones, of course, don't have the selection.

I particularly liked zabzaf's pointers on meet etiquette (don't unplug without permission, don't put your Elvis pompadour pomade on, ...). 

Headphones make up a unique market... overwhelming segmentation (lots and lots of different brands and models chasing a limited number of folks who care about their difference in sound), a mix between the objective (e.g., frequency measurements) and subjective (presence, sound stage, taste), and the conflicting facts that 1) since measurements don't tell the story, you prefer to try before you buy, vs. 2) any one audio shop, and indeed any collection of audio shops within the same town, will only have the tiniest fraction of the available headphones to try.

The answer?  Headphone meets like this, perhaps also augmented by headphone "tours," where one or more headphones are shipped around the country for auditioning, as Todd The Vinyl Junkie (TTVJ) did with the new Grado -e series of headphones.  One vendor (can't recall the name... has "sonic" in it I think but not "buysonic") has a tool to let you hear, on your computer, reconstructions of sounds from various high-end headphones to let you compare, and apps such as Audacity let you transform the frequency response of one headphone into the frequency response of a similar headphone.

But there is no substitute for listening, preferably comparatively, over a long period of time, with source music you already know, and in a quiet room.

Of course, many vendors have generous return policies (try for up to 30 days and send back for a refund).

Anyway, headphone meets lift the spirit, inspire the muse, empty the wallet, and support headphone sales!

As always, kayandjohn, well said. Thanks and good night.

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #33 of 160
Brian,

Man, you rocked the organization of the event. Thank you!

I couldn't agree with you more on many of your opinions.
1. The group was completely awesome.
2. The scope of gear was incredible.
3. It IS about the music. Us gear heads can lose focus occasionally.. Myself often guilty, of chasing perfection at the sacrifice of the enjoyment of the music.
4. One can enjoy the music on systems below the cost and quality of the lowliest of gear at the meet. For a kick, I brought some old Sennheiser HD414 and AKG K240 headphones. The HD414 date back to the mid 70s and were claimed to be the first open headphones. They started a trend and still hold their own today in mids, highs and clarity. they may lack deep bass extension, but they are very enjoyable.
5. I really am looking forward to the next one..

One observation: Digital based music has taken over. The CD has just become a means of transportation of the music from one device to another. The hard drive has taken over!!

Personally, I feel horrible that we apparently were not able to accommodate a late addition..

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #34 of 160
Sooooo Right ,

I discovered those lovely HD800s ( easy to understand why so many people own them ) , the Grado Phones ( never even considered those previously ) and the Portable Systems . 
   Ambient Noise Levels seems the only impediment to properly evaluating at meets , I don't know how to create a public enviornment with a low noise level ( but I'm working on it , something like 20dba ) , still , a person can become acquitted with a possible future purchase ( as I did with the Red HD800s and their matching electronics , seems there is no place left to go after owning that system ! , I suppose  fun & adventure & discovery comes from working thru various systems on your way to final ownership of the Flagship System  ) .   
  Now , as a result of the Detroit Meet , I'm hunting down some Eytmotic 4 types with their triple seal , mainly for their ability to seal out noise ; noise is by most formidible obstacle  at the moment .  
  The Social value of a Headphone meet is also of importance , "Birds of the feather Flock Together" , certainly I feel I belong in this flock .   
   As a note to Abarth Man , I just discovered Gene Harris , Allen Toussaint and Johannes Linstead , two Piano men and one Guitar guy from Canada who all have CD music that the Mastering Studio hasn't crushed into Retail-Store background noise level .  These are the Musics that make the HD800s a good investment . 
  Bon Vivant ,
  Tony in Michigan

Sep 26, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #36 of 160
How about red V-MODA M-100s?

Sep 26, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #37 of 160
Oh I forgot....

There was a phone charger left at the meet last Saturday.

If you are missing your charger, PM me.

Sep 26, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #38 of 160
Very nice , Mr. Abarth Man ,

You bring a Flare to this Field , those red 800s have stayed on my mind .  Certainly your Color skills lift you above the masses , great taste . 

Tony in Michigan 

Sep 28, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #42 of 160
  The last one turned out pretty well, I didn't edit any of them.

Hey. I'm flattered... that is the grill to my Colorware-colored Sennhesier HD800s (with matching HDVD800 amp!).  Thanks for elevating it to become a thing of beauty!!

And our organizer, zabzaf, is making me a first-of-its-kind *red and black* custom balanced XLR cable!  When it comes, I will be the Spiffiest Sennheiser 800 caretaker* on the planet!  I requested a design logo (maybe given his name ZabZaf and its prevalence of "Z," which is the electrical engineering variable often used for (complex) impedance (complex, in that it includes not only DC resistance but AC-affecting inductance), the logo should be based on the letter Z), and some continuation of his excellent efforts, so I can be Serial Number 3 (he has his own two before mine) of The Prime Custom Cable Maker In All Head-Fi-Dom (TPCCM-IAHFD!).  I shall be his PR guy and write his ads and commercials.

____

*  caretaker, because with something as epic as a Sennheiser HD 800 headphone with HDVD 800 amp, as I have, you are only a person entrusted to keep it, never an owner!

Sep 29, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #43 of 160
Bummed that i missed this, hopefully i can make it to the next one with my family of AKGs: 321s, 550s, 551s, 545s and soon to be delivered K712s

Sep 29, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #44 of 160
Bummed that i missed this, hopefully i can make it to the next one with my family of AKGs: 321s, 550s, 551s, 545s and soon to be delivered K712s

Have you considered adding the AKG K3003s to your family? I love mine (as well as my AKG Q 701s).

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #45 of 160
Have you considered adding the AKG K3003s to your family? I love mine (as well as my AKG Q 701s).

Yes, they are on the list as well. Hopefully the 812s one day too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back