Metro Detroit 2014 Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread
Sep 30, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #47 of 160
Did you notice any difference in the sound signature from the stock cable like we discussed?

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #49 of 160
I have a Michigan Headfiers group open, anyone is welcome to join. If it gets a decent amount of members I'll make a nice logo for it, as the current one is just basic. It would be easy to send a message to the group informing everyone of a meet that's near by.

http://www.head-fi.org/groups/show/31/michigan-headfiers

Oct 1, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #56 of 160
Ab-soooo-lutely , 

I'm in !! , just joined .   

Tony in Michigan 

Hey tonykaz,..which Grado is that you've selected for your avatar? Looks like a PS1000, which costs even more than my Sennheiser HD800, but they are usually seen with shiny, not satin, metal. Thanks for letting me know.

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #57 of 160
Dunno , 
Someone else , unknown to me , put that up there , a Grado fan I'm guessing .  I would've selected a Sennheiser cause I'm a Sennheiser/Schiit man at the moment .  
  I met a Sennheiser Factory guy the other day , on manufacturing stuff - not at all about headphones , who says that Sennheiser the Company is committed to lifetime support for everything the company ever made or will make .  Now thats STRONG ! . In my world support can mean a product's projected life i.e. 5 years , 10 years , probably nothing longer than that .  
  This man also suggests that the company tries to get it right the first time around , hence , we won't see a HD800 v.2 , which is another reason to own the HD800 stuff including the little ie800 in ear things ( which is kinda the direction I'm heading now ) . 
  I do like the Schiit Amps but may end up with the German SPL Phonetor 2 Recording Studio Mastering Headphone Amp for my base system ( about $2k US dollars ) , or that Sennheiser Amp like your Red one .  Your 800 system is kinda my end game , I will remain with that system forever as I'm a music person not an equipment person .  A smaller portable System , like you own , will be my standard everyday on-the-go equipment .
  You opened my eyes to the possibilities , thank you , you've already done the hard work of buying and selecting , I can just come in from behind you and scoop your results without all that tedious testing and expense .   I owe you , you saved me a trip to RMAF 2014 , where I would've been further confused .
   Thank You ,
  Tony

Oct 2, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #58 of 160
Sony is releasing a new Walkman Digital Audio Player the A17 , $300 , November this year .   There you go , 190 GB storage , apple lossless . 
I suppose this device will overshadow most of the other options out there .
Will Apple respond with a proper Digital Audio Player ? ,  you'd think yes .  
We live in exciting times ( moments ) .

Tony in Michigan 

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #59 of 160
Dunno , 
Someone else , unknown to me , put that up there , a Grado fan I'm guessing .  I would've selected a Sennheiser cause I'm a Sennheiser/Schiit man at the moment .  
  I met a Sennheiser Factory guy the other day , on manufacturing stuff - not at all about headphones , who says that Sennheiser the Company is committed to lifetime support for everything the company ever made or will make .  Now thats STRONG ! . In my world support can mean a product's projected life i.e. 5 years , 10 years , probably nothing longer than that .  
  This man also suggests that the company tries to get it right the first time around , hence , we won't see a HD800 v.2 , which is another reason to own the HD800 stuff including the little ie800 in ear things ( which is kinda the direction I'm heading now ) . 
  I do like the Schiit Amps but may end up with the German SPL Phonetor 2 Recording Studio Mastering Headphone Amp for my base system ( about $2k US dollars ) , or that Sennheiser Amp like your Red one .  Your 800 system is kinda my end game , I will remain with that system forever as I'm a music person not an equipment person .  A smaller portable System , like you own , will be my standard everyday on-the-go equipment .
  You opened my eyes to the possibilities , thank you , you've already done the hard work of buying and selecting , I can just come in from behind you and scoop your results without all that tedious testing and expense .   I owe you , you saved me a trip to RMAF 2014 , where I would've been further confused .
   Thank You ,
  Tony

Tonykaz, and to think that that Sennheiser HD800 /HDVD800 combination will soon sound Even Better, if such a thing is imaginable, thanks to the Red And Black balanced cable that zabzaf is making for me!! (Current cable is single ended).

Oct 2, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #60 of 160
I sold Bruce Brisson MIT cables , back in the 1980s , $500 for a 10 foot pair , made quite an AB demo , had a loaner pair that always ended up selling a pair to anyone that took them home to try .  Great Stuff .   Karen Sumner was the Brisson Rep. , she now owns and operates Transparent Cables , out East in Maine .   
  I'm an un-balanced patron , nothing against Balanced , mind you , just Balanced runs are rather Pro and I never got into that segment of the Music Industry .   
  Sennheiser are Cable people , being Pro Audio , all Pro Audio is made up of fussy Cable people .   Even Professor Johnson of Reference Recording makes his own Cabling Systems , tons of wire hook-ups in the Pro world , lots of noise and ground loop possibilities to eliminate for these Studios to do their stuff .  
 I think that I liked your hook-up , still a color matched cable system of the needed length will be a nice addition .
  TonyKaz 
ps. Schiit folks are not Cable people as are many of the Electronics Manufacturers , for some reason .  Schiit recommend Monoprice wire as do many , many others . A Brisson and/or Transparent may cost more than any of the Schiit electronics . 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back