Meridian Explorer DAC/Amp Stream of Consciousness Review (WARNING: Not Good)
Feb 25, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #16 of 137
Sure, there are a few Explorer fanboys galavanting around and some initial impressions that are a little reckless with the hyperbole

More like everyone. With the reaction I've seen (read: zero negative comments at all) you'd think Meridian came up with the first portable DAC/amp ever.

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #17 of 137
Quote:

Thanks for checking, and thanks for taking the measurements. You're right, it's obviously high output impedance.

I'll try to measure the output Z directly. Just too lazy to grab resistors, alligator clips, etc. since my house is still a mess from the stuff I brought back from CHANG-Fest.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #18 of 137
Quote:
The Meridian Explorer is amazing.  Truly astonishing, a work of art as well as a ground-breaking innovation.  There is a reason it is on ComputerAudiophile's Cash List, Audiostream's Greatest Bits, and even Head-Fi's founder has proclaimed "I haven't heard one yet."  Meridian is an audiophile brand used in world class pairings, such as TTVJ's show rigs (though the Pinnacle usually takes center stage there.)  The Explorer is also built in the UK, something it shares with heavy-hitters like Naim and Paul McCartney.  All caps are 'Audio Grade' and the unit is derived from the much more expensive 800 series, which must be tremendous in it's own right.  The Meridian is a classy unit, like its heritage.  It is for those of us with more refined tastes, such as Classical music from the Romantic Era and Patricia Barber.  The Pixies were the beginning of the end, just some guys and a girl starting soft and getting really loud and then going soft again.

I think its pretty clear you guys just want to spoil the fun the rest of us are having by trying to kill any product that has a bit of hype.  If this player is warm, its warm like sitting in front of a fire with hot cocoa and a good book.  If it is veiled, it is veiled in the enticing way of the bellydancer.  Excessively forgiving and polite?  Sounds like a Brit to me.  This product hasn't just broken the mold - it has obliterated it to the point where no one realizes there was mold in the first place.  I'm sorry you guys are too busy being bitter and pretending to be pirates to realize the revelation you have witnessed. Don't Always Like Everything? The Hate Or Rage Never helps.

Im sitting here trying to figure out if this is trolling or serious mode.

Feb 26, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #21 of 137
Mine arrives today.  If this is true, back it goes.  I have a feeling though that I'll be keeping it...happily.

Can't help but wonder if our friend Sunshine got himself a dud.

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #22 of 137
Quote:

Im sitting here trying to figure out if this is trolling or serious mode.

I'm beginning to think these guys are artfully airing out two sides of an inside joke and having a laugh at our expense. 

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #23 of 137
Quote:purrin
I don't people why send me crap

If i was you, i'd be honored to receive anything at all.

If what you say is true, then the implementation of the PCM5102 is a waste on this product, i can tell you the rPac(DAC only) or the WooAudio WA7 sound amazing with the same DAC the ME uses.

Time will tell when more users of Head-Fi report in.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #24 of 137
Quote:
Somehow, this little Meridian Explorer (ME) thing-a-ma-jig landed on my desk for an audition. I don't people why send me crap (stuff), but I guess they want a second opinion. Also, I presume people know if I really think a something sucks, I will clearly state so. 

Quote:
If i was you, i'd be honored to receive anything at all.

Or maybe...some "mystery benefactor" with an axe to grind on Meridian sent the Explorer, certain that purrin would dutifully crap upon it with great flourish. OMG! Conspiracy!

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #28 of 137
bro i think purrin stole from me. i reviewd a bic lighter two  weeks ago.  his review is like cut and past of mine. exact. what do you say to that mr purrin?!!!

Feb 26, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #29 of 137
bro i think purrin stole from me. i reviewd a bic lighter two  weeks ago.  his review is like cut and past of mine. exact. what do you say to that mr purrin?!!!

Ah darn. I guess it's not bad for a BIC lighter then.

On a more serious note. The only reason I even bothered with measurements is because this thing sounded so off, at least with the HE500 and UERM. Measurements are a nice way to confirm subjective impressions. Here are some interesting results:

OUTPUT IMPEDANCE

Objective2 amp: 1.46 ohms
UHA-6HS: 0.95 ohms
Meridian Explorer: 47.95 ohms

The output impedance was measured with a DMM and a resistor (used both 50 and 100ohm for two sets to confirm), not with lab grade stuff. Nevertheless, the results should be a good indicator of the actual output impedance.

Yup. 47.95 ohms. I measured it again. I couldn't believe it myself. Well, not really. I expected it given the how the ME fubar'd the UERM's frequency response and turned it into an improperly driven LCD2/3. The ME would not be ideal with the HE500 or UERM. The HE500 having lowish impedance (~35-47 ohms), and the UERM ~16 ohms? with uneven impedance throughout the audio band. Maybe the HD800 would fair better...

Feb 26, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #30 of 137
Wow.

You sure you were measuring the headphone jack?  
tongue_smile.gif

I'll have one soon to confirm, but that's a spectacular error.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back