Melos SHA-Gold Reference Impressions
Apr 18, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #16 of 22
Congrats and thanks, man! That's one amp I have yet to hear!

Apr 18, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons
The Sha 1s can drive K1000s,the Golds can't,go Figure.The Golds also have differant boards then the Sha1s.

The preamp output actually has higher gain than headphones would normally need. Since the preamp output and headphone outputs of the SHA-1 are the same, it's got more gain and can push a K-1000. Since the SHA-Gold's use a separate preamp board, the headphone board can (and does) use a lower gain setting that won't handle the K-1000. However, if you were to put a dual RCA to 4-pin Neutrik adapter on the preamp outputs of the SHA Gold, I'd bet it could do it.

Apr 18, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
. However, if you were to put a dual RCA to 4-pin Neutrik adapter on the preamp outputs of the SHA Gold, I'd bet it could do it.

Hi Hirsh,
Is that a web link or pic of the dual RCA to 4-pin Neutrik adapter? What does it really do? Combining the power of 2 sets of standard 2v RCA outputs?

Apr 18, 2006 at 3:32 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jvbb2005
What does it really do? Combining the power of 2 sets of standard 2v RCA outputs?

Left & right channels to one 4-pin XLR.

Apr 18, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

The preamp output actually has higher gain than headphones would normally need. Since the preamp output and headphone outputs of the SHA-1 are the same, it's got more gain and can push a K-1000. Since the SHA-Gold's use a separate preamp board, the headphone board can (and does) use a lower gain setting that won't handle the K-1000. However, if you were to put a dual RCA to 4-pin Neutrik adapter on the preamp outputs of the SHA Gold, I'd bet it could do it.

May give that a try one of these days.

Apr 18, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

May give that a try one of these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back