Melodious MX-U8 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Jun 23, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #61 of 658
  Hi Alex !
this project looks extremely serious. I am sure the result will be fantastic.

I have only place the new Nichicon FG
redface.gif
 and i have already risked to ruing the pcb during the desoldering of the original caps
frown.gif

I am using exactly this desoldering pump here ...

http://image.dhgate.com/albu_280646795_00/1.0x0.jpg

it could be that i am using a too big nozzle
confused.gif

... because the small holes for caps on the pcb remained closed by the solder
mad.gif

I have to look for different nozzle sizes. 
rolleyes.gif

I have to say instead that for bigger parts it works quite ok and it is very handy.
I will wait for your pictures before doing anything.
However the sound was good already in the stock version
and still good after the caps replacement.
... but better is always better.
Thanks a lot for disclosing your expertise and projects.
Kind regards,  gino

I hope my XM-U8 will sound as aspected, we will see 
wink_face.gif

I think the nozzle indeed is too big, hope you can find a smaller one!

I will post complete modifying project when finished 
bigsmile_face.gif

Regards,
Alex

Jun 23, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #62 of 658
Originally Posted by abartels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope my XM-U8 will sound as aspected, we will see 
wink_face.gif

Hi Alex !
i am sure of that.  I have become a complete believer about the importance of fighting the PS noise above other things.
It kills the low level details ... it masks them.
And i guess that things like 3d virtual soundstage depend on this low level details a lot.
I have seen a very simple but nice explanation of noise and distortion by an Hegel Audio man on Youtube but i cannot find the link again sadly.  Very very clear about how detrimental can be noise for good sound.

I think the nozzle indeed is too big, hope you can find a smaller one!
I will post complete modifying project when finished
bigsmile_face.gif

Regards,
Alex

Thanks a lot ... and also some intermediate pics would be nice
To be able to follow the all process better.
Kind regards, gino

Jun 23, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #64 of 658
Hello all,

Tonight after work I started placing the transformers in enclosure, mounted copper shield between transformers and pcb.

First problem: IEC320 external mount is not deep enough and couldn't remove because of heavy 2-component glue.
But I finally got it to fit!

I will reorder an extra backpanel in the future, but for now it's good enough for me

After that I removed the RCA from PCB and removed the two crappy standard diode bridges.

I replaced one of the diode bridges with ultrafast, zere switching time (???) CREE diodes.

It's very tight, but doable. Those CREE's don't have connection at housing, so no need for isolating and no fear for hazzards 
wink_face.gif

Here are some pics how it will look when it's ready,,,,,

Next Thursday I have time to finish it, I hope,,,

There's still some work to do,,,,

Hope you guys enjoy 
wink_face.gif

Cheers 
beerchug.gif

(Having a glass of wine now, pfff,,,,)

Regards,

Alex

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #66 of 658
  Nice work alex- may try that bridge rec swap.

Thanks Bob,

I never used those Cree's before, it was another member who asked me if they were any good.
After searching a lot on the internet I found some threads were they were VERY fond of those cree's, the whole series.

Someone, an audio guru, told: If you wanna squeeze EVERY LAST BIT of your equipment, try the CREE's, hahahaha

So, that's what i've done,,,

Going home early, cancelled appointment, so I wil be modding again this evening 
bigsmile_face.gif

Cheers  
beerchug.gif

Alex

Jun 24, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #67 of 658

Thanks Bob,

I never used those Cree's before, it was another member who asked me if they were any good.
After searching a lot on the internet I found some threads were they were VERY fond of those cree's, the whole series.

Someone, an audio guru, told: If you wanna squeeze EVERY LAST BIT of your equipment, try the CREE's, hahahaha

So, that's what i've done,,,

Going home early, cancelled appointment, so I wil be modding again this evening 
bigsmile_face.gif

Cheers  
beerchug.gif

Alex

Hello Alex,

Superseded, answer found.

Regards,

Riemann

Jun 24, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #68 of 658
Sorry guys, went to the pub for dinner and some drinks, i ended up with a nice dinner and lots of whisky,,,,, tomorrow is another day,,,,

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Alex

Jun 27, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #69 of 658
Hi guys,

Just finished modding my MX-U8 
bigsmile_face.gif

I'm listening to it while writing this post.

First listening impressions:

It smokes my U12 in every way, even if it hasn't burned-in yet!
Voices are much more realistic, soundstage is fabulous, tonal balance is much better, sub-low is almost scaring 
bigsmile_face.gif

Will post some images later, have to listen some more, and then I will finish and closing enclosure.

Cheers     
beerchug.gif

Alex

Btw, especially many thanks to Riemann (hgpsemaj) who provided me with the R-Core transformers and the VERY handy adapterboards to solder the NDK XO's 
bigsmile_face.gif

beerchug.gif

bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 27, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #70 of 658
  Hello all,

Tonight after work I started placing the transformers in enclosure, mounted copper shield between transformers and pcb.

First problem: IEC320 external mount is not deep enough and couldn't remove because of heavy 2-component glue.
But I finally got it to fit!

I will reorder an extra backpanel in the future, but for now it's good enough for me

After that I removed the RCA from PCB and removed the two crappy standard diode bridges.

I replaced one of the diode bridges with ultrafast, zere switching time (???) CREE diodes.

It's very tight, but doable. Those CREE's don't have connection at housing, so no need for isolating and no fear for hazzards 
wink_face.gif

Here are some pics how it will look when it's ready,,,,,

Next Thursday I have time to finish it, I hope,,,

There's still some work to do,,,,

Hope you guys enjoy 
wink_face.gif

Cheers 
beerchug.gif

(Having a glass of wine now, pfff,,,,)

Regards,

Alex

Alex,

I see you used 16V FG caps in the PS  - don't they call for 25V?  Maybe not good to go with under rated power supply caps.

Here is a photo of the stock U8

Jun 27, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #71 of 658
  Alex,

I see you used 16V FG caps in the PS  - don't they call for 25V?  Maybe not good to go with under rated power supply caps.

Here is a photo of the stock U8

Hi Bob,

DC stays way beneath 25 Volts, actually in my case it's 9,5Volts.

16Volt caps do the trick, 25Volts is way overdimensioned. 2200uF 16Volt FG's  are only little bigger than standard 2200uF 25V BC caps, so they fit nicely.
And, for 0.8uV noise psu from DIYINHK, I also used 4700uF 16V FG caps,  instead of stock Pana FC's 5600uF-25V, bigger values wouldn't fit in enclosure.
Since NDK's only draw 6mA i wasn't that affraid to lower the values.

But thank you anyway to put it to my attention!

Cheers    
beerchug.gif

Alex

Jun 27, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #72 of 658
Hello guys,

I finally did put some 3M AB5100s leftovers on several components, closed the enclosure and listening again.

First impression:

Seems in my config 3M AB5100s doesn't make my MX-U8 lifeless as Bob (rb2013) experienced before.

After burn-in period has passed I will do another comparison, it's not difficult to remove the stuff 
wink_face.gif

Some more pics:

I will try to order a new backpanel next time when ordering some goods from china so  I can build a new backpanel with external IEC320.

First SQ impressions are VERY impressive, very analogue sounding.

But, one must not forget that modding costs about the same as the stock unit. I think I paid in total something about $450
So, comparing with U12 is like comparing appels with pears!

Very curious how it will sound after one week burn-in time 
bigsmile_face.gif

For now I think I'm happy, very happy, with MX-U8.

If I finally decide which dac i want to buy, one with I2S input, I will probably make my own DDC with I2s / without AES/SPDIF, and will compare with MX-U8.
But that will be something for autumn I suppose,,,,,

To be continued,

Cheers    
beerchug.gif

Alex

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #73 of 658
  Hello guys,

I finally did put some 3M AB5100s leftovers on several components, closed the enclosure and listening again.

First impression:

Seems in my config 3M AB5100s doesn't make my MX-U8 lifeless as Bob (rb2013) experienced before.

After burn-in period has passed I will do another comparison, it's not difficult to remove the stuff 
wink_face.gif

Nice, congrats...  16V rated caps are fine with 9Vdc. 

Jun 29, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #74 of 658

Hi Bob,

DC stays way beneath 25 Volts, actually in my case it's 9,5Volts.

16Volt caps do the trick, 25Volts is way overdimensioned. 2200uF 16Volt FG's  are only little bigger than standard 2200uF 25V BC caps, so they fit nicely.
And, for 0.8uV noise psu from DIYINHK, I also used 4700uF 16V FG caps,  instead of stock Pana FC's 5600uF-25V, bigger values wouldn't fit in enclosure.
Since NDK's only draw 6mA i wasn't that affraid to lower the values.

But thank you anyway to put it to my attention!

Cheers    
beerchug.gif

Alex

I see with your dual power supply configuration no need for the high volt caps.  Never heard of 'over demensional' before - what's that like?
wink_face.gif

Good luck with the project - looks very cool!
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #75 of 658
Are all the outputs active on the MX-U8 at the same time? For example, if I connect the coaxial RCA, optical, and AES outputs to three separate devices at once, will all three devices get the same signal? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back